Stock skid plates review - after trail 22 at Windrock

CopperMtnGuy

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler, 2005 KJ
I couldn't find any good threads on this earlier, but I thought this might be helpful for those with basically stock JLs to see how the stock armor performs. The only aftermarket armor I have is rough country diff skids - which I highly recommend. Long story short, nothing bad happened.

Went to Tennessee for Memorial Day weekend and found time to run 22 at Windrock park. It's a solid blue (moderate) trail with some black sections. My JLU Sahara is basically stock other than the OEM steel bumper with a winch, 33s, rubicon sway bar disco, and the rough country diff skids.

Up front, the metal skid plate took a small hit, probably from this obstacle:
Jeep Wrangler JL Stock skid plates review - after trail 22 at Windrock IMG_1526

Jeep Wrangler JL Stock skid plates review - after trail 22 at Windrock IMG_5847

Moving back, the front diff took quite a few good hits. I feel like the diff cover would've had issues and I could've hit the drain plug - I'd definitely protect the diff right away.

Jeep Wrangler JL Stock skid plates review - after trail 22 at Windrock IMG_5849

Jeep Wrangler JL Stock skid plates review - after trail 22 at Windrock IMG_5855

Looks like I also touched the passenger front LCA mounts a bit, but that happens when putting your tires on the bigger rocks! Still not bad damage at all.
Jeep Wrangler JL Stock skid plates review - after trail 22 at Windrock IMG_5852

Jeep Wrangler JL Stock skid plates review - after trail 22 at Windrock IMG_5873

Moving rearward, the oil pan and tranny pan didn't take any hits (yes, repainting the oil pan is on my to do list!) The exhaust pipe took a small hit, but not a big deal. This is probably the next area I'd consider a skid plate for, but the factory ones have worked better than expected and I've been to Moab, badlands in Indiana and Windrock and haven't hit the tranny pan or oil pan yet. The skids have a few marks on them.
Jeep Wrangler JL Stock skid plates review - after trail 22 at Windrock IMG_5854

Next up, the t case skid and the gas tank skid take the brunt of the beating on a stock height JLU. They both got scraped up bad from some hard hits, but aren't dented noticeably. The resonator has a light scrape.
Jeep Wrangler JL Stock skid plates review - after trail 22 at Windrock IMG_5861

Jeep Wrangler JL Stock skid plates review - after trail 22 at Windrock IMG_5874

Jeep Wrangler JL Stock skid plates review - after trail 22 at Windrock IMG_5862

Now at the back end, looks like I kissed the rear LCA mount at the frame and the shock mount on the driver's side. Again, to be expected if you are putting tires on the high stuff as you should. The rear diff skid plate took a few small hits too. The muffler got a decent sized dent in it and the bottom of the hitch got scraped up. Minor stuff.
Jeep Wrangler JL Stock skid plates review - after trail 22 at Windrock IMG_5863

Jeep Wrangler JL Stock skid plates review - after trail 22 at Windrock IMG_5866

Jeep Wrangler JL Stock skid plates review - after trail 22 at Windrock IMG_5867

Jeep Wrangler JL Stock skid plates review - after trail 22 at Windrock IMG_5864

Overall, the stock armor did its job and I think for most people it is plenty. I see the advantages to fully belly skid plate systems but the stock skids are plenty good to go out and have some fun. I think the diff covers are a great addition to the stock armor. I also have the stock rubicon rock rails and shockingly did not hit them once. I would've swore at times that I did, but after washing the Jeep I can't find any scratches on them.
Sponsored

KevinC11

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Willys, 2023 JT Mojave
Occupation
Gunsmith/EMT
Kudo's to you for running Trail 22 with 33" tires and no lockers.

Good job, I'm impressed. I will agree, the stock plates can take some abuse.

KevinC

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Is trail 22 the one that starts with a small wooden bridge and is right behind the general store?

Atom631

First Name
Atom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
My stock skids are pretty hammered, but they definitely take abuse. My issue with them is they are basically anchors. They hang up on everything. I will definitely be upgrading to a full skid system this year. Probably do the Next Venture system with the UHMW.

but first, I think rear corner armor is my priority. Wheeled some tough properties this past weekend up here in the Northeast and it wouldve been really nice to have :(

LCW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(formerly '22 JLUR) '23 Bronco Badlands 2dr 2.7
I need to go do this trail. Looks like fun!

Sponsored

c20040215

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S; 2023 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
I couldn't find any good threads on this earlier, but I thought this might be helpful for those with basically stock JLs to see how the stock armor performs. The only aftermarket armor I have is rough country diff skids - which I highly recommend. Long story short, nothing bad happened.

Went to Tennessee for Memorial Day weekend and found time to run 22 at Windrock park. It's a solid blue (moderate) trail with some black sections. My JLU Sahara is basically stock other than the OEM steel bumper with a winch, 33s, rubicon sway bar disco, and the rough country diff skids.

Up front, the metal skid plate took a small hit, probably from this obstacle:

Moving back, the front diff took quite a few good hits. I feel like the diff cover would've had issues and I could've hit the drain plug - I'd definitely protect the diff right away.

Looks like I also touched the passenger front LCA mounts a bit, but that happens when putting your tires on the bigger rocks! Still not bad damage at all.

Moving rearward, the oil pan and tranny pan didn't take any hits (yes, repainting the oil pan is on my to do list!) The exhaust pipe took a small hit, but not a big deal. This is probably the next area I'd consider a skid plate for, but the factory ones have worked better than expected and I've been to Moab, badlands in Indiana and Windrock and haven't hit the tranny pan or oil pan yet. The skids have a few marks on them.

Next up, the t case skid and the gas tank skid take the brunt of the beating on a stock height JLU. They both got scraped up bad from some hard hits, but aren't dented noticeably. The resonator has a light scrape.

Now at the back end, looks like I kissed the rear LCA mount at the frame and the shock mount on the driver's side. Again, to be expected if you are putting tires on the high stuff as you should. The rear diff skid plate took a few small hits too. The muffler got a decent sized dent in it and the bottom of the hitch got scraped up. Minor stuff.

Overall, the stock armor did its job and I think for most people it is plenty. I see the advantages to fully belly skid plate systems but the stock skids are plenty good to go out and have some fun. I think the diff covers are a great addition to the stock armor. I also have the stock rubicon rock rails and shockingly did not hit them once. I would've swore at times that I did, but after washing the Jeep I can't find any scratches on them.
I always have a great time at Windrocks.

I would add RC's engine, transmission and transfer case skids. They are pretty strong consider the price (< $400 for two pieces). I run all RC skid plates, including the two pieces I mentioned, diffs, and rear LCA skids. The OE gas tank is strong enough and flat enough for my use so I did not opt to get it.

KevinC11

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Willys, 2023 JT Mojave
Occupation
Gunsmith/EMT
Is trail 22 the one that starts with a small wooden bridge and is right behind the general store?
Yes sir. I call it the introduction trail. If you can't navigate trail 22, you may want to reconsider.

KevinC

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yes sir. I call it the introduction trail. If you can't navigate trail 22, you may want to reconsider.

KevinC
I'm relatively new to offroading, and found it to be extremely fun and addictive. Windrock was my first real offroad experience. I was there last year, right after Jeep Invasion in Pidgeon Forge. I made it about halfway through trail 22 and had to turn back becaise I broke the first rule by not fueling up before hitting the trails. I didn't even stop to air up and got to the nearest gas station on fumes. I owe that trail a redemption run because it was just starting to get fun when I had to bail.

My Jeep is built up far beyond my experience, so I was pointing at the hardest lines I could find and it was just walking through.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
I'm relatively new to offroading, and found it to be extremely fun and addictive. Windrock was my first real offroad experience. I was there last year, right after Jeep Invasion in Pidgeon Forge. I made it about halfway through trail 22 and had to turn back becaise I broke the first rule by not fueling up before hitting the trails. I didn't even stop to air up and got to the nearest gas station on fumes. I owe that trail a redemption run because it was just starting to get fun when I had to bail.

My Jeep is built up far beyond my experience, so I was pointing at the hardest lines I could find and it was just walking through.
IIRC, they have gas pumps at the trailhead.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
IIRC, they have gas pumps at the trailhead.
Yes, they do have a pump at the general store. Thing is, it was well after their 5pm closing time that I realized how low the tank was. Only reason I turned around, even though I was a bit past the halfway point already, was because the far end of trail 22 would've landed me much deeper into the park. It was definitely a shame, and I can only blame myself, but I look forward to when I can get back down there and finish that specific trail. It was just starting to get more challenging past the mid point, climbing boulders that were partially submerged under a stream.

This is the water crossing about halfway through 22 that we stopped for a break and I realized the low fuel when we hopped back in...
Jeep Wrangler JL Stock skid plates review - after trail 22 at Windrock 20220907_163919_resized
Jeep Wrangler JL Stock skid plates review - after trail 22 at Windrock 20220907_163235_resized

The most challenging obstacle I made, was actually a small shortcut on the main trail that bypassed a hairpin curve. It's steeper than the pics show, and I honestly had no business trying it will only a few hours under my belt at that point. After the following pics, I went back down it. If I hadn't heard Kevin from litebrite say to roll through it and don't hit the brakes, I would've done a front flip. The rear tires definitely left the ground at one point.
Jeep Wrangler JL Stock skid plates review - after trail 22 at Windrock 20220906_172547
Jeep Wrangler JL Stock skid plates review - after trail 22 at Windrock 20220906_172310

Sponsored

Jtclayton612

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, they do have a pump at the general store. Thing is, it was well after their 5pm closing time that I realized how low the tank was. Only reason I turned around, even though I was a bit past the halfway point already, was because the far end of trail 22 would've landed me much deeper into the park. It was definitely a shame, and I can only blame myself, but I look forward to when I can get back down there and finish that specific trail. It was just starting to get more challenging past the mid point, climbing boulders that were partially submerged under a stream.

This is the water crossing about halfway through 22 that we stopped for a break and I realized the low fuel when we hopped back in...
Jeep Wrangler JL Stock skid plates review - after trail 22 at Windrock 20220906_172310

The most challenging obstacle I made, was actually a small shortcut on the main trail that bypassed a hairpin curve. It's steeper than the pics show, and I honestly had no business trying it will only a few hours under my belt at that point. After the following pics, I went back down it. If I hadn't heard Kevin from litebrite say to roll through it and don't hit the brakes, I would've done a front flip. The rear tires definitely left the ground at one point.
Heh that bypass on the main trail was a whole different animal when I went in November. It had just rained, snowed, and then we had some freezing rain and daytime temps in the low 30s. I opted to not try it after seeing someone break an axle shaft and bounce off the rev limiter. Thing was basically an icy/muddy slip and slide.

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gator Gladiator Sport S, '22 Gobi JLR
@CopperMtnGuy Wow, seeing your stock skids is a bit of a relief, but I have to ask, did you ever coat your undercarriage? I see a ton of rust and wonder if it's from trails or just water in general. I'm in the rust belt and coated my JLR this winter and hope I never see rust like that. I plan to wash, clean, and coat any scratches I get on a trail, did you do that or no? Thanks in advance :)

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
We went with the "try out" the stock skids mentality on our 2019 JLUR. Learned the hard way they are far from adequate on Holcomb creek. The dented oil pan for the 2.0t cost me $700, and that's cheap considering what it could have done had it ripped open or pushed up into the crank. When we bought the 2022, full belly skids were ordered day 1. Yes they are expensive, but well worth the peace of mind and potential savings should a tire slip off the line in a boulder field.
Jeep Wrangler JL Stock skid plates review - after trail 22 at Windrock 20221028_150338
Jeep Wrangler JL Stock skid plates review - after trail 22 at Windrock 20221028_150354
Jeep Wrangler JL Stock skid plates review - after trail 22 at Windrock 20221028_123725
Jeep Wrangler JL Stock skid plates review - after trail 22 at Windrock 20221028_123716

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Heh that bypass on the main trail was a whole different animal when I went in November. It had just rained, snowed, and then we had some freezing rain and daytime temps in the low 30s. I opted to not try it after seeing someone break an axle shaft and bounce off the rev limiter. Thing was basically an icy/muddy slip and slide.
I was there in early September. It had rained a couple days beforehand, but sunny days had everything mostly dry, just not enough to be dusty. No way I would've even thought about it if it were wet and slick.

Also, if I had anything too much smaller than 40's I would've avoided it even in the dry. I'll admit, that's mostly my lower experience talking. 😆

OP
OP
CopperMtnGuy

CopperMtnGuy

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler, 2005 KJ
@CopperMtnGuy Wow, seeing your stock skids is a bit of a relief, but I have to ask, did you ever coat your undercarriage? I see a ton of rust and wonder if it's from trails or just water in general. I'm in the rust belt and coated my JLR this winter and hope I never see rust like that. I plan to wash, clean, and coat any scratches I get on a trail, did you do that or no? Thanks in advance :)
It had some undercoating on it when I bought it - the dirt sticks to it and makes it look brown/rusty. No actual rust besides surface rust on the axle housings. I'm in the process of painting the frame to clean it up a bit. I fluid film it internally and all the other cavities, so it is well protected.
Sponsored