First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
Very cool. I thought I would want/need to modify my ‘18 JLU Sport, but now, after a few weeks with it, on and off road, I’m not inclined to change a thing.
It’s a remarkable off-road vehicle as delivered, with excellent road manners as well.
Don’t reckon I want to screw it up.
Sponsored

Spoke

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Occupation
IT guy
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for posting pics of your adventure. I’m always curious how well the JL does in stock form. Looks pretty capable. Looks like you missed the mud!

OP
OP
Sean L

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
We should definitely hook up sometime. I'm down your way regularly.
I've got a pretty open schedule, Just let me know whenever. :like:

OP
OP
Sean L

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Awesome pics Sean! Looks like it was a lot of fun. Nice to know that a stock Sahara can hold its own.
Very cool. I thought I would want/need to modify my ‘18 JLU Sport, but now, after a few weeks with it, on and off road, I’m not inclined to change a thing.
It’s a remarkable off-road vehicle as delivered, with excellent road manners as well.
Don’t reckon I want to screw it up.
Thanks for posting pics of your adventure. I’m always curious how well the JL does in stock form. Looks pretty capable. Looks like you missed the mud!
Yes, I don't think its given the credit it deserves in factory form. I'm still going to put a Rubicon takeoff suspension on it and probably upgrade the tires once the current ones are worn down, but nothing crazy.

There was still some mud there, but I just realized I didn't get any pictures after driving through it...

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
Great stuff! Thanks for posting about your trip. I’ve worried a lot about what my Sahara can do without lockers but this gives me hope.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Sean L

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Great stuff! Thanks for posting about your trip. I’ve worried a lot about what my Sahara can do without lockers but this gives me hope.
Theres hundreds of miles of trails there. I'm pretty sure I could find something where you would Need lockers but I just haven't found it yet. There are 3 Badge trails there and Trail 26 is rated as a 5 on their scale of difficulty. Trail 16 is rated at 7-8 so that might have given me more trouble than 26 and 41.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
You'd be shocked at what it can do. I used to tool around there in a YJ with a 4 cylinder. The only mod was 29.5" BFG KM tires and manual swaybar disconnects. I rubbed the skid plates a lot but it had open diffs all the way. That YJ didn't have the clearance of the JL and even with the sway bar disconnected, it didn't have the suspension travel or flex of a JL. Not even close. We would do a trail and then gasp with astonishment that it did what it did! I will say this, though. When stuck, that YJ was MUCH easier to get unstuck. It only weighed around 3000lbs, Lol!

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
You'd be shocked at what it can do. I used to tool around there in a YJ with a 4 cylinder. The only mod was 29.5" BFG KM tires and manual swaybar disconnects. I rubbed the skid plates a lot but it had open diffs all the way. That YJ didn't have the clearance of the JL and even with the sway bar disconnected, it didn't have the suspension travel or flex of a JL. Not even close. We would do a trail and then gasp with astonishment that it did what it did! I will say this, though. When stuck, that YJ was MUCH easier to get unstuck. It only weighed around 3000lbs, Lol!
I know what you mean. I had a YJ in the 90's and I would take it up on mountain trails (so nothing too difficult). There were no Rubicons and no Internet and I was young and stupid so I just tooled around to see what I could do. No winch, no lift, no special tires, nothing. If you listen to people on these forums you need a modded Rubicon to drive on a gravel road.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I know what you mean. I had a YJ in the 90's and I would take it up on mountain trails (so nothing too difficult). There were no Rubicons and no Internet and I was young and stupid so I just tooled around to see what I could do. No winch, no lift, no special tires, nothing. To hear people on these forums you need a modded Rubicon to drive on a gravel road.
Lol, right on. My brother won a $100 bet with his bone stock 91 YJ 4cylinder. He climbed to the top of a very steep muddy, dead leaf covered hill at Haspin Acres off road park in Laurel, Indiana. Guys with big custom tube frame CJs with spooled axles, big V8s, and huge mud tires were getting only half way up. He bet them he could make it. After lots of laughing, they realized he was serious. I thought he was stupid or joking, too. He jumped in that thing and in low range, 3rd gear, ran it at 5000 rpms. The little Jeep bounced, slid all over, slung mud everywhere, and with him staying on the power and vigorously working the wheel in a desperate search for traction, it clawed its way to the top! All on stock 215/75/15 Goodyear Wranglers! No doubt it would have been ugly and dangerous if he hadn't made it! He did it on 100% balls and 0% brains, Lol!

That little YJ finally rusted out with close to 400,000 miles on it. It's resume included 4 hours submerged on it's side on the bottom of White River while my nephew (16 at the time) sat trying to think of a story to tell his Dad. He failed to come up with an effective one. It had probably 80 or 90k on it at that point.

Sponsored

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
Yeah, I guess I worry too much because of some of the things I read on here. I haven't had a chance to ride any trails yet. Weather has sucked pretty much every weekend since I got my JL. I'm not big on mud. Used to race ATV motocross and had enough mud to last me the rest of my life. I'm tired of modding. Want to ride!

stil2low

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep jk
That’s awesome and great pics!

stil2low

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep jk
I’ve wheeled a long time without lockers, and to be honest there isn’t much I couldn’t do. You learn more about line choice and really get to know where your wheels are

Last year I ran lockers in my old JK, only one locked in my group and they still were able to follow everywhere I went

OP
OP
Sean L

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation