Sponsored

Stock Rubicon shocks w/ 2.5" AEV DualSport lift temporarily ok to do? (Explanation inside)

IrishJLU21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
Occupation
Computer things
Hey all,

This is a tough one to search for hence the post... The long and short of it is that I bought an AEV DualSport lift kit and Quadratec sent me JK shocks instead of JL shocks. At least that's what it looks like - one set has a vertical rod on one end, the other has a mounting bracket passing through the eyelet on one end.

I have a 2021 JLUR and I'm wondering if it would be really bad if I installed the lift (springs and misc parts) and just used the stock shocks for the time being while I deal with Quadratec and sort out replacing the shocks they sent me. I can't say that I'll do any sort of hard wheeling for the next few weeks so it would mostly be a matter of road manners, not full-flex, hard running trails or rock crawling. I actually got halfway through the rear end today before I realized the issue (my fault, I should have checked first...) so I know how far the stockers can extend, but that isn't the whole picture which is why I'm asking this.

Replacing the shocks is the least challenging aspect of the lift imho so if I can get the majority of it out of the way and come back to the shocks later it would be kinda cool. That said, I'm not willing to put convenience ahead of safety so I'm curious how bad, or not bad I guess, it would be to just use the stock shocks for a bit despite having a 2.5"+ lift (advertised 2.5", but we all know that isn't necessarily accurate).

Thank you so much for any help, I greatly appreciate it!
Sponsored

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!
Hey all,

This is a tough one to search for hence the post... The long and short of it is that I bought an AEV DualSport lift kit and Quadratec sent me JK shocks instead of JL shocks. At least that's what it looks like - one set has a vertical rod on one end, the other has a mounting bracket passing through the eyelet on one end.

I have a 2021 JLUR and I'm wondering if it would be really bad if I installed the lift (springs and misc parts) and just used the stock shocks for the time being while I deal with Quadratec and sort out replacing the shocks they sent me. I can't say that I'll do any sort of hard wheeling for the next few weeks so it would mostly be a matter of road manners, not full-flex, hard running trails or rock crawling. I actually got halfway through the rear end today before I realized the issue (my fault, I should have checked first...) so I know how far the stockers can extend, but that isn't the whole picture which is why I'm asking this.

Replacing the shocks is the least challenging aspect of the lift imho so if I can get the majority of it out of the way and come back to the shocks later it would be kinda cool. That said, I'm not willing to put convenience ahead of safety so I'm curious how bad, or not bad I guess, it would be to just use the stock shocks for a bit despite having a 2.5"+ lift (advertised 2.5", but we all know that isn't necessarily accurate).

Thank you so much for any help, I greatly appreciate it!
I don’t see a problem with what you’re planning. I had stock shocks on a 2” lift (on my Yukon) and eventually (about a year) they went bad and had to be replaced. I didn’t notice any difference in handling. You’ll be good for the short term.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
Are you certain it’s only the shocks that are wrong? Also AEV goes with stiffer springs than stock but softer shocks (according to their literature) so I’d expect the ride to be harsher than designed with the factory shocks.

OP
OP
IrishJLU21

IrishJLU21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
Occupation
Computer things
I don’t see a problem with what you’re planning. I had stock shocks on a 2” lift (on my Yukon) and eventually (about a year) they went bad and had to be replaced. I didn’t notice any difference in handling. You’ll be good for the short term.
That's good to hear. I noticed in your signature that you have the same lift, is there anyway you can grab the part numbers stamped on the springs? Definitely don't go crazy trying, but if you have a clear view it would be helpful, and if not, no worries at all.

Are you certain it’s only the shocks that are wrong? Also AEV goes with stiffer springs than stock but softer shocks (according to their literature) so I’d expect the ride to be harsher than designed with the factory shocks.
I can deal with a little harsher for a bit, I think. Assuming it's not like break your back harsher, of course :).

Regarding the rest of the kit, the whole thing arrived in 4 separate boxes (one for shocks, one for springs, one for misc parts, and one for the geometry correction brackets) over a couple days so it's hard to be 100% sure, but I am fairly certain the rest is correct. The geometry correction brackets are clearly marked as being for the JL, while the misc parts for the JK kit are vastly different than the ones for the JL and mine definitely looks to be the pieces for the JL. It's hard to say about the springs, however for what it's worth they look like the springs pictured in the AEV kit's product image on both their site and Quadratec. The equivalent lift for the JK shows springs with a pretty significantly different coil pattern.

I realize using the picture on some sites isn't the most scientific thing but I haven't really had much luck searching for the part number stamped on them. The rear is stamped with NTHSPRG32220C, the front is stamped with NTHSPRG31220C.

Thanks folks!

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Regarding the rest of the kit, the whole thing arrived in 4 separate boxes (one for shocks, one for springs, one for misc parts, and one for the geometry correction brackets) over a couple days so it's hard to be 100% sure, but I am fairly certain the rest is correct.
The box for the springs should have a label on it to specifying the vehicle they're for (if you still have it). But... my front has the same number as you. I've got a 4 door with 2.0T, was expecting it to be different on the assumption you probably had the v6. Can't get to where I can see a number on the rear.

Sponsored

OP
OP
IrishJLU21

IrishJLU21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
Occupation
Computer things
The box for the springs should have a label on it to specifying the vehicle they're for (if you still have it). But... my front has the same number as you. I've got a 4 door with 2.0T, was expecting it to be different on the assumption you probably had the v6. Can't get to where I can see a number on the rear.
I actually do have a 2.0T as well, and, well... I'm a very stupid man because I totally overlooked that... You're 100% right, both the "misc parts" and springs boxes have a label that says JL, LHD. Mystery solved, time to get to work, lol.

Thanks again, especially for taking the time to give yours a look, I really appreciate it.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I actually do have a 2.0T as well, and, well... I'm a very stupid man because I totally overlooked that... You're 100% right, both the "misc parts" and springs boxes have a label that says JL, LHD. Mystery solved, time to get to work, lol.

Thanks again, especially for taking the time to give yours a look, I really appreciate it.
No worries. I went out and checked the box for the one I've got waiting for my soon to arrive number 2.

OP
OP
IrishJLU21

IrishJLU21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
Occupation
Computer things
Bumping this one rather than making a new thread...

I still haven't gotten a chance to install this lift. Work has been eating my time and energy like crazy this month, and the weather hasn't been cooperating when work isn't the problem, so it has been sitting in my house for weeks now. As I mentioned originally, I got halfway through the rear when the shock issue (which is now sorted, Quadratec was super easy to deal with actually) was noticed, well that half was the driver side and I was attacking it in a one wheel at a time way because of my jack situation at the time.

Fast forward to today and I have since rectified the jack situation, and I finally had a chance to revisit the install so I went out to the driveway to get to work. Got the rear end lifted up by the diff this time, set the driver's side jack stand, move around to the passenger and... I can't fit the damned stand saddle flush on the frame because of the stupid gas tank skid!

I dug out some 2x4 from the garage and cut a piece about 6" long, set the passenger side jack stand 1 notch lower than the driver's side (which is almost exactly 2") put the wood there, and lowered the Jeep onto the stands. There was some slight creaking from the wood at first, but it settled almost instantly and after giving it the shake test, bouncing, etc, it seemed pretty solid but in this state the springs + floor jack are still supporting a portion of the weight as part of a jack stand + jack tripod. I know it's not necessarily uncommon to put wood between a jack stand and the frame, but I've never actually had to do it before and it kinda makes me nervous thinking about how catastrophic it could be if that wood blows out or something when the springs/floor jack aren't supporting actual vehicle weight anymore.

So... what did you folks do for the rear passenger side jack stand point to get around the gas tank skid? I considered turning it so the saddle ran the same direction as the frame, but that gives me other concerns due to vehicle angle, narrow contact point, etc. I worked as a mechanic for several years when I was younger and I've personally seen what happens as a result of poor jack and/or lift use so maybe I'm over thinking due to these experiences, but yeah, I don't really like to mess around in this area.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I remember having that same issue and I think I put the edge of the jack stand up against the skid but definitely not centered in the saddle. Mine have flats on either edge with a small lip so I figured if the stand slipped it would go inward and drop into the saddle.

Something else I realized when doing the first one on the 2.0… I put the front jack stands roughly under the door hinges in the front so they would be on a flat section of frame. Same in the rear, more forward under the rear doors on a flat section. After removing the wheels I discovered the Jeep was balancing on the front two stands, zero weight on the rear stands. To counter it I put weight in the rear, which in hindsight wasn’t the best approach.

Second time around I positioned the jacks closer to the ends on sections of frame that were starting to curve up. But on the front they were against a cross brace and on the rear up against the LCA bracket. It was very secure and no more teetering Jeep.
Jeep Wrangler JL Stock Rubicon shocks w/ 2.5" AEV DualSport lift temporarily ok to do? (Explanation inside) 0BA6AF05-7F09-4A9A-8960-7B6495B5F68B

somedude922

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, Previous: 1984 CJ7, 1979 CJ7
I vaguely remember the funky stand placement too. For piece of mind, I always put my wheels under the rockers so if the jeep does fall, at least it wont go all the way down to the floor.

OP
OP
IrishJLU21

IrishJLU21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
Occupation
Computer things
I got tired of it and just cut a tab opening. I don’t do hard rock crawling so I’m not super concerned about the extra exposure and at some point I’ll likely beef up the skid anyway so…. Cut it, and grinded off the sharp edges, and now my jack stand saddle fits like a champ.
Jeep Wrangler JL Stock Rubicon shocks w/ 2.5" AEV DualSport lift temporarily ok to do? (Explanation inside) C85C5E13-13A0-4C81-ADBD-424B6C7A25EE
Jeep Wrangler JL Stock Rubicon shocks w/ 2.5" AEV DualSport lift temporarily ok to do? (Explanation inside) 4502E475-9F44-408A-9309-3191DD28F35D
Jeep Wrangler JL Stock Rubicon shocks w/ 2.5" AEV DualSport lift temporarily ok to do? (Explanation inside) 9304CCB5-6BAB-4831-BC68-7E712A1A9B79
Sponsored