Stock rubicon lift for a sport

Tolb86

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler sport
Hey guys I’ve been doing some research on here searching in other threads and just want to make sure I understand correctly that if I want to add the rubicon suspension to get a little lift on my sport all I need is springs and shocks? Also does it matter what vehicle configuration the shocks and springs come off? For example I have the 4 cyl turbo and the set I’m looking at is a 3.6 liter. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
The suspension consists of the springs and shocks. However, it would be a good idea to purchase a set of Mopar lower control arms. This will improve the quality of the ride.

So, without getting too technical. The Jeep comes from the factory with everything lined up. When you increase the height, things are no longer lined up. The longer LCA's will line things up again.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/big-driving-improvement-after-lca-swap.54439/

Here is a long discussion on the use of Rubicon suspension parts.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/rubicon-vs-sport-suspension-height.4347/

Forum members have reported good results with spring numbers ending in
  • 59/60 or 60/61 on the front
  • 90/91 on the back

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
What @Jamrock said^^^
You want Rubicon springs from the heaviest models (to yield the most lift), so a 4dr, hardtop, tow pkg & steel bumper will yield the tallest springs (the largest spring part#s).

If you happen to locate a Diesel Rubicon those will net the most lift, not sure on the spring rates though so it may firm up the ride quite a bit more than the regular Rubi sets.

Also, just the springs and shocks are needed from the Rubi set but having the end links included is a plus since these are a wear item, nice to have a fresh set for future use :)

Here's my install thread (along w/ the LCA install too).
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/rubicon-suspension-on-2-door-sport.40700/

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
The diesel Jeeps are way heavier than the gas ones due to the extra weight of the diesel engines. I haven't seen any feedback from anyone using those springs or shocks on a gas Sport or Sahara.

That would be an interesting exercise. Have you seen any feedback?

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
The diesel Jeeps are way heavier than the gas ones due to the extra weight of the diesel engines. I haven't seen any feedback from anyone using those springs or shocks on a gas Sport or Sahara.

That would be an interesting exercise. Have you seen any feedback?
I've seen a few people on this forum mention acquiring a diesel rubicon suspension and installing them on a Sport/Sahara but have not heard about the results yet...

Looking forward to learning more about it.

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
I went with the 60/61 and 90/91 springs on my 2-door Sport with 2.0T and am very happy with the lift and ride quality. Brad @blnewt 's writeup was perfect and made our install very easy. It took me and my son about 4 hours in the driveway with regular jackstands and tools.

I didn't upgrade to the longer LCAs, just swapped in the Rubi springs, shocks and wheel/tire combo. My Wrangler doesn't really wander or feel twitchy at speed on the highway (65-70ish) so I'm not sure that I need or want to add them; your Jeep may be different so try it out. Overall, it was a great bang-for-the-buck upgrade (under $1500 for everything).

OP
OP
Tolb86

Tolb86

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler sport
I went with the 60/61 and 90/91 springs on my 2-door Sport with 2.0T and am very happy with the lift and ride quality. Brad @blnewt 's writeup was perfect and made our install very easy. It took me and my son about 4 hours in the driveway with regular jackstands and tools.

I didn't upgrade to the longer LCAs, just swapped in the Rubi springs, shocks and wheel/tire combo. My Wrangler doesn't really wander or feel twitchy at speed on the highway (65-70ish) so I'm not sure that I need or want to add them; your Jeep may be different so try it out. Overall, it was a great bang-for-the-buck upgrade (under $1500 for everything).
Awesome!!! I already have the Rubi rims and tires just looking for the suspension. I also have a sport 4cyl but have the sky one touch but I’m going to do this because it should give me the look I want as well. Thanks for the info.
Sponsored