Sponsored

ColoradoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
From the guidebooks, I expected this to be a solid test for my new Rubi XR, with both trails rated "difficult". It wasn't as hard as I had hoped, but man was it beautiful, and very very high up in Colorado's peaks. For those following the XR bump stop/flex issue @onemoreokie @BDinTX @Murphydog @Cajunali etc... I have not yet reached a point where I feel like the small bump gap is hurting me. Moab still, still awaits...

Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
I’d expect the lighter the engine, the less likely to be in your bumps all the time. I *think* that heaviest to lightest would be 392 -> diesel -> 3.6L -> 2.0t

It’s all speculation but I can guarantee it’s correct unless it isn’t.

What engine did you get?

OP
OP
ColoradoMike

ColoradoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
I’d expect the lighter the engine, the less likely to be in your bumps all the time. I *think* that heaviest to lightest would be 392 -> diesel -> 3.6L -> 2.0t

It’s all speculation but I can guarantee it’s correct unless it isn’t.

What engine did you get?
3.6 for me.

Rubi SoHo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR-XR
Occupation
Physician
From the guidebooks, I expected this to be a solid test for my new Rubi XR, with both trails rated "difficult". It wasn't as hard as I had hoped, but man was it beautiful, and very very high up in Colorado's peaks. For those following the XR bump stop/flex issue @onemoreokie @BDinTX @Murphydog @Cajunali etc... I have not yet reached a point where I feel like the small bump gap is hurting me. Moab still, still awaits... Video: Saints John and Middle Fork Swan
I’ve done me some Moab in my XR, surprisingly I’ve not yet smacked the bump stops, even there.

OP
OP
ColoradoMike

ColoradoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR

Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
The guide books for telluride area trails are based in fear of driving off the trail/cliff. Cruising highway speeds on 550 is more dangerous and just as difficult as black bear, engineer, Ophir, or imogene. They are dirt roads with no real obstacles...but big consequences if you drive off the road. Highway 1 all along the coast has the same consequences, that shouldn'tfactor in to the trail rating, but for some reason it does. Driving slow, you wouldn't know if you were into the bump stops or not. Dropping off a tall enough obstacle for some momentum you'll feel the bumps for sure. Hitting a run or pot hole at speed, the impact will rattle your teeth. If you don't wheel with speed and/or you don't flex out the suspension, a few inches of up travel is sufficient.

OP
OP
ColoradoMike

ColoradoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
The guide books for telluride area trails are based in fear of driving off the trail/cliff. Cruising highway speeds on 550 is more dangerous and just as difficult as black bear, engineer, Ophir, or imogene. They are dirt roads with no real obstacles...but big consequences if you drive off the road. Highway 1 all along the coast has the same consequences, that shouldn'tfactor in to the trail rating, but for some reason it does. Driving slow, you wouldn't know if you were into the bump stops or not. Dropping off a tall enough obstacle for some momentum you'll feel the bumps for sure. Hitting a run or pot hole at speed, the impact will rattle your teeth. If you don't wheel with speed and/or you don't flex out the suspension, a few inches of up travel is sufficient.
Yeah, if I am really having fun, I am in 4-low with the sway bar disconnected. And this Jeep feels really good under those conditions. :) And yes... I am finding more and more that I really prefer the slickrock and the red desert to Colorado wheeling. Still though, this was a beautiful drive.

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
Exactly. Black bear is pretty easy.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ColoradoMike

ColoradoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Yeah, if I am really having fun, I am in 4-low with the sway bar disconnected. And this Jeep feels really good under those conditions. :) And yes... I am finding more and more that I really prefer the slickrock and the red desert to Colorado wheeling. Still though, this was a beautiful drive.
Not knocking those trails at all, the views alone are well worth the trip. The idea that they are challenging trails is just silly. Grated we were on 2.5" lift and 37's, but poughkeepsie was the only place we even used 4wd and you can forget about needing lockers. Any vehicle with enough ground clearance to drive over a curb can easily run black bear, it's downhill through the only thing even resembling an obstacle just above the water fall. Again, beautiful trails and would 100% go back for the views and camping, but they are simply dirt roads.

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

Glad the XR is performing Mike. Still leaning towards getting one as well.

We just got to town (Moab) and Utah road construction already took its pound of flesh…hopefully that is the worst thing we encounter.
Arches National Park, and Elephant Hill Road Tuesday.Fins and things, hells revenge and Canyonlands on the list too.

Jeep Wrangler JL Stock JLURXR in the high, high country. Really high 0E00F7C0-925A-45C2-BFE1-790519A49DA3
Jeep Wrangler JL Stock JLURXR in the high, high country. Really high 5119E1E9-69FD-44EA-9331-A0013F114ACD
Jeep Wrangler JL Stock JLURXR in the high, high country. Really high F8DCD37B-9A9C-4D89-A0EC-7A2B9CB71E75

OP
OP
ColoradoMike

ColoradoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Glad the XR is performing Mike. Still leaning towards getting one as well.

We just got to town (Moab) and Utah road construction already took its pound of flesh…hopefully that is the worst thing we encounter.
Arches National Park, and Elephant Hill Road Tuesday.Fins and things, hells revenge and Canyonlands on the list too.

Jeep Wrangler JL Stock JLURXR in the high, high country. Really high F8DCD37B-9A9C-4D89-A0EC-7A2B9CB71E75
Brutal window hit! Have fun, stoked to see pics and such.
Sponsored