No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
With the extra complexity involved, E torque adds weight, So does the turbo set up. A non-E torque V6 all aluminum with plastic intake should be the lightest weight.
Sponsored

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
curious where prople are getting their “clearance” measurements.

nothing but larger tires is going to raise the Difs or the rear lower shock mounts, which are the lowest points.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

nothing but larger tires is going to raise the Difs or the rear lower shock mounts, which are the lowest points.
Good point. I was thinking body, not diffs.

OP
OP
ColoradoMike

ColoradoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR

Yeah, but I don't know about you guys, but the diffs are not what I worry about or what I hit. They might be the low point, but they're aligned with the tires, and I can use the tires to protect them. Where I hit is the middle third of the vehicle, from just behind the oil pan to just behind that center cross-member.
So for me, how high is my transmission off the ground? How high is that center cross member?
Or more specifically, how high is the point where I high-center?
And for that, the XR's tires PLUS lift probably raise my center cross member and transmission by 2.1 inches, and that means that those ledges I dragged over on Top of the World in my base Rubicon, I won't even scrape on in my XR. ;)

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
good luck!
point is; high-centering isn’t the only issue, nor is it the lowest point of “clearance”.

i’ll spare you pics of my shock mounts.

suffice to say, i’m using big 35s on a few inches of lift, and wish i could have set up with bigger tires and less lift.

Yeah, but I don't know about you guys, but the diffs are not what I worry about or what I hit. They might be the low point, but they're aligned with the tires, and I can use the tires to protect them. Where I hit is the middle third of the vehicle, from just behind the oil pan to just behind that center cross-member.
So for me, how high is my transmission off the ground? How high is that center cross member?
And for that, the XR's tires PLUS lift probably raise my center cross member and transmission by 2.1 inches, and that means that those ledges I dragged over on Top of the World in my base Rubicon, I won't even scrape on in my XR. ;)

Sponsored

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

That would have helped quite
Mike,
Can’t wait for your second run up Top of the World, any thought on trying Elephant Hill? Would be interested in your thoughts on that trail in an XR.
Though, I would recommend going with another person if you can. I was surprised that we didn’t see another person out there all day

OP
OP
ColoradoMike

ColoradoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
That would have helped quite

Mike,
Can’t wait for your second run up Top of the World, any thought on trying Elephant Hill? Would be interested in your thoughts on that trail in an XR.
Though, I would recommend going with another person if you can. I was surprised that we didn’t see another person out there all day
I just read about Elephant Hill, and it looks awesome, but I hate that permitting crap. How did you get your permit? Did you just show up somewhere day-of and get one? That trail is way down south of the other stuff I like, and if I go all the way down there and am not able to drive it, that would suck hard.

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

I just read about Elephant Hill, and it looks awesome, but I hate that permitting crap. How did you get your permit? Did you just show up somewhere day-of and get one? That trail is way down south of the other stuff I like, and if I go all the way down there and am not able to drive it, that would suck hard.
Permit is $6.00 on top of National Park entry fee, however as we were visiting the parks any way I already had a yearly park pass.

the permit can be had the day before you want to go via recreation.gov. They allow 25 a day, but I doubt they are getting that many takers right now

they only dumb part is you are supposed to print a copy to have with you. Since we didn’t bring a printer on vacation I did a screen grab, saved it to photos on my phone and showed that to the ranger.

it is a long drive to and from Moab, we had to detour via Monticello as state highway 211 was partially washed out a few weeks ago.

Getlost4wd

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Yeah, if I am really having fun, I am in 4-low with the sway bar disconnected. And this Jeep feels really good under those conditions. :) And yes... I am finding more and more that I really prefer the slickrock and the red desert to Colorado wheeling. Still though, this was a beautiful drive.
My guess is you haven’t tried Holycross then.

Mocopo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
Owned my XR for one week so far, just got back from a scouting trip north of Sedona. Never got to flex it out but I did hit the bump stops a few times... granted it was going 40 down some windy dirt roads, and any jeep probably would have bottomed out unless it was built for high speed, which almost none are. That was freaking awesome! Planning a trip back to the area in a month to do Broken Arrow and Soldier Pass to get flexy!
20220902_054435.jpg

Sponsored

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

Mike, forgive me if you covered this, did you consider a lift and tires for your previous Jeep instead of an XR?

OP
OP
ColoradoMike

ColoradoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
OP
OP
ColoradoMike

ColoradoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Mike, forgive me if you covered this, did you consider a lift and tires for your previous Jeep instead of an XR?
Not very seriously. If I was going to do a lift and tires on the stock Rubi, I would have wanted to re-gear. And you have to do the spare tire relocate, and should do the hinge reinforcement. Costs a fortune, and we're not even into the steel knuckles, stouter axle tubes, bigger breaks that come with the XR.

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

Not very seriously. If I was going to do a lift and tires on the stock Rubi, I would have wanted to re-gear. And you have to do the spare tire relocate, and should do the hinge reinforcement. Costs a fortune, and we're not even into the steel knuckles, stouter axle tubes, bigger breaks that come with the XR.
My thinking too, though I chatted with a guy on Fins who had the Dynatrac lift, and 315 /70 KO2s and was pretty happy with the set up.
I’m waiting to see what the 20th anniversary package is, assuming they offer one, then I will decide. I don’t need a 392 powered monster sitting on 37s…

Last edited:
OP
OP
ColoradoMike

ColoradoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
My thinking too, though I chatted with a guy on Fins who had the Dynatrac lift, and 315 /70 KO2s and was pretty happy with the set up.
I’m waiting to see what the 20th anniversary package is, assuming they offer one, then I will decide. I don’t need a 392 powered monster sitting on 37s…
How was Fins? Have you done a full trip write-up yet? I know you did Elephant. Curious to hear the full report.
Sponsored