Stock JLUD front suspension travel to bump stop

ggrote1

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUD, 2004 LJ
Hello all. I crawled under my 2021 JLUD Rubicon today to look at what work would be involved in lifting it. I noticed the rear suspension has about 4.5 inches of down travel until it hits the bumpstop. The front suspension only has about 1.75 inches down traviel until the bump stop makes contact. I can see the marks on the bump stop and it looks like it makes contact often. I've added a smittybilt x20 winch with synthetic rope but that didn't seem to drop the front very much. Maybe 1/2 inch.

Is this little down travel on the front of a JLU or JLUD the standard? It seems like very little down travel to bottom out. Has anyone else noticed this?

Thanks, G
Sponsored

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2020 JT Sport
Yep. After I installed my winch and steel bumper I have all of 1.5” of travel. I smack the bump stops pretty often. Bottom outs only really happen when hitting bumps square and equally with both tires. Offset bumps usually don’t do it, as the nature of the live axle lifts the front end and droops the other wheel to absorb impacts.

i\I really need to get my lift on. The winch and bumper drooped the front by about 1.5”. It looks ridiculous with 33’s now.

wDohq9Xl.jpg

OP
OP

ggrote1

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUD, 2004 LJ
Yep. After I installed my winch and steel bumper I have all of 1.5” of travel. I smack the bump stops pretty often. Bottom outs only really happen when hitting bumps square and equally with both tires. Offset bumps usually don’t do it, as the nature of the live axle lifts the front end and droops the other wheel to absorb impacts.

i\I really need to get my lift on. The winch and bumper drooped the front by about 1.5”. It looks ridiculous with 33’s now.

Jeep Wrangler JL Stock JLUD front suspension travel to bump stop wDohq9Xl
I think the front springs were too soft from the factory. Maybe someone without a winch added will tell us how much down travel they have. Looking for springs now.

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2020 JT Sport
I think the front springs were too soft from the factory. Maybe someone without a winch added will tell us how much down travel they have. Looking for springs now.
The factory springs settle too. Looking at older pics of my JL right after I put my winch and bumper on (about summer 2018 or 2019) there was more tire gap than I have now.

OP
OP

ggrote1

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUD, 2004 LJ
The factory springs settle too. Looking at older pics of my JL right after I put my winch and bumper on (about summer 2018 or 2019) there was more tire gap than I have now.
I just oredered a Rock Krawler front coil spring correction kit. It replaces the front spring isolators with one that takes the bow out of the spring. I see mine are bowed and think that may help.

Yardstick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLURD, Tundra, 4Runner, Sprinter
I hadn't measured yet, but I was a little surprised when my JLURD felt like it was touching the bump stops when going through my neighborhood. We have those long, low 20mph speed bumps and even at about 15mph it's touching the stops. It still has plastic bumpers and no winch. I figured it was soft shocks for test drive comfort and didn't realize it was just that close to bottoming. I plan(ed) to wait to lift it, but maybe that's worth reconsidering.
Sponsored