Stock JL Sport 2 door. Will it offroad?

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Considering a JL Sport 2 door. I realize this is the least offroad capable of the Jeeps. I am not interested in rock climbing. The only offroad I will do is easy to moderate trails. Can a stock JL Sport handle the easy stuff without any issues? Not really interested in modding and all of that.
You sound like me........... a year and $5K ago. :giggle:
Sponsored

JohnAinVA

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting for 2021 Jeep Wrangler S MT
YUP, all(most) good advice--

If you just want a BASIC 2dr/sport and don't really care about OFF-ROADING--just get the cheapest 2dr/color you want and don't even consider a (LIFT) or tire change--

Drive it on/off road for a couple months--get thru a WINTER and then you MAY/MAY NOT want to change a few things, but--

BUY IT/TRY IT/ LEAVE IT/CHANGE IT--IT'S YOURS-

W.E.

JIMBO
Great advice! ^^^^

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
ANY Wrangler is more off-road worthy than most Off-Road "badged" vehicles. As most have said decent tires would be a great idea if you plan on venturing off the pavement (heck... a decent set of BFG T/A KO2's work great on & off-road). Lift not necessary unless you plan on upsizing wheels & tires. But even bone-stock off-the-lot you have a solid & capable 4x4 that can do far more than easy trails.

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
I recently did 2 off-road courses driving basic & moderate trails, with a majority of stock vehicles, in upstate NY. There were a few Wrangler Sport's along & they performed as well as the others (a mix of Sahara, Rubicon, 4Runner, Tacoma, Land Cruiser, Grand Cherokee & even a Renegade, yep) on these trails.
These vehicles are very capable in stock form, don't underestimate their potential.
It was at Northeast Off-Road Adventures in Ellenville, NY.
They have a good setup for newbies, like me.
I was going to say, sounds like NORA, Very organized, helpful for people getting into off roading and veterans as well, gorgeous scenery.

As for a sport off road...hell yeah, 2dr base sport, anti spin rear, no AC, auto ( can't drive a manual anymore) is my next jeep, lock the front 30, or swap in a locked 44, get some sway bar discos a 2" lift and 33s and it will do most trails with ease...and you can get that jeep for well under 30k because it isn't a very desirable jeep, that is the jeep you have built and keep forever.
AKA a builders jeep

people are stripping Rubicons left and right, you can buy a sport and make it as capable as a rubicon for a fraction of a rubicons price if you can do the work

Sponsored

ViperJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'N Wrangler JL Rubicon
That's exactly what I wanted, a base 2 door sport. It's like a blank canvas. It took me a while to find it but I did in Orlando FL. I love it! V-6, manual and not even A/C. You can just put a simple 2" lift and some 33's and you'll be good to go. Don't let the base model fool you, it's still very off road capable. Just my two cents and good luck!
IMG_0452.JPG
You're in Florida and chose to have no A/C? Check.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Considering a JL Sport 2 door. I realize this is the least offroad capable of the Jeeps.
Actually, the 4 door Sport would be the "worst" JL Wrangler. At the end of the day it still has 4WD with low range, solid axles, and good articulation.

Sponsored

Covet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 22 392, 22 4xe JLUR sold x3, 24 392
Considering a JL Sport 2 door. I realize this is the least offroad capable of the Jeeps. I am not interested in rock climbing. The only offroad I will do is easy to moderate trails. Can a stock JL Sport handle the easy stuff without any issues? Not really interested in modding and all of that.
I landed in my Wrangler via a 2017 TRD off road like the path you are considering. Few things; a stock. Sport, etc. is > that taco off-reading in every category.
2nd, I have linked this video on these forums before, its a right hand drive Wrangler - only major difference between what you are considering.
Just rewatched it before linking and yea... if there is any doubt in your mind about will it do “easy to moderate” trails this video is your overwhelming YES and it’ll do it in 2wd.

Please if nothing else take the few minutes to watch the “Australian Postal Service” as someone else on these forums called the guy in the vid.

Covet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 22 392, 22 4xe JLUR sold x3, 24 392

:like:yep and scare the other 6 days out of you too:devil:
Hadn’t see that vid before! That’s a really good one too! - so OP you got two vids to watch fast forward away to the good parts. Spoiler alert! Both show that a stock Wrangler can do $hit that would scare the %uck out of most people. Your Sport will be more that adequate for what you are wanting it to do (more than).
Enjoy the vids!

86CJ7

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 392
Occupation
IT
I'm looking for blank canvas that I can build my way and want to see what I may be loosing out on other then cosmetic items.

I'm looking at a very basic Sport S with LSD and 6 speed with the Dana 44 in the rear. If I buy someone's Rubi 33" wheels and tires and the take off parts after they install a Mopar 2", lift will I have the same setup as a Rubi less the Dana 44 in the front?

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I'm looking for blank canvas that I can build my way and want to see what I may be loosing out on other then cosmetic items.

I'm looking at a very basic Sport S with LSD and 6 speed with the Dana 44 in the rear. If I buy someone's Rubi 33" wheels and tires and the take off parts after they install a Mopar 2", lift will I have the same setup as a Rubi less the Dana 44 in the front?
Still a difference I believe. You would have the M220 (DRE) axle and the Rubicon gets the M220 Wide (DRF)

And obviously you would't have the lockers, electronic sway bar disconnect, bigger brakes, 4:10 gearing, and 4:1 transfer case.

But other than that...
Sponsored