Sponsored

Stock head unit is toast.. Any recommendations for an upgraded head unit?

OminousSkitter

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
Occupation
Software & Coastal Engineer
It also always defaulted to AM radio when you started up the Jeep.
This was part of my hatred for the stock 5" radio. It always defaulted to radio (AM or FM—whichever I left it on), and the input gain on radio was significantly louder than USB/Bluetooth. Every time I turned my Jeep off, I had to remember to cut the volume way down or it would blare at me when I started it next time. Switching to the 7", it still defaults to the last radio used, but for me that's the nice, silent XM (no antenna).

I've never had either radio randomly shut off, pop, or mic check me. However, the stock 5" would randomly drop USB/Bluetooth and wouldn't make any sound from those until you restarted your Jeep. So far I haven't had that issue with the OEM 7".
Sponsored

SadRobot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2dr Sport
This was part of my hatred for the stock 5" radio. It always defaulted to radio (AM or FM—whichever I left it on), and the input gain on radio was significantly louder than USB/Bluetooth. Every time I turned my Jeep off, I had to remember to cut the volume way down or it would blare at me when I started it next time. Switching to the 7", it still defaults to the last radio used, but for me that's the nice, silent XM (no antenna).

I've never had either radio randomly shut off, pop, or mic check me. However, the stock 5" would randomly drop USB/Bluetooth and wouldn't make any sound from those until you restarted your Jeep. So far I haven't had that issue with the OEM 7".
I never truly realized how terrible the stock radio was until I had to get a rental car for work for 2 months. It had wireless carplay and after I connected my phone to it the first time every time after that I just started up the car and it would start playing mid song from where I had stopped. Jeep is so far behind with their stereo it's not even funny. My rental wasn't even something fancy. It was some Nissan cheapo car rental.

OminousSkitter

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
Occupation
I never truly realized how terrible the stock radio was until I had to get a rental car for work for 2 months. It had wireless carplay and after I connected my phone to it the first time every time after that I just started up the car and it would start playing mid song from where I had stopped. Jeep is so far behind with their stereo it's not even funny. My rental wasn't even something fancy. It was some Nissan cheapo car rental.
The UCONNECT3 was at least 5 years out of date before the first JL rolled out of the factory.

I had a similar experience when I rented a car for a couple weeks for work earlier this year. It was so nice: wireless carplay automatically connecting, just using a magsafe puck when I needed to charge it, no random gremlins ?

Edit: For now, I'm happy with the 7". 99% of what I listen to while driving is audiobooks, and it's actually kinda annoying for that to autostart if you're just driving 5 min to buy groceries.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

my 5" government handout edition poor people radio has been issue free for over 5 years now. im thinking about replacing it with a 7" but not sure due to so many issues ive seen people have with it.

OminousSkitter

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
Occupation
my 5" government handout edition poor people radio has been issue free for over 5 years now. im thinking about replacing it with a 7" but not sure due to so many issues ive seen people have with it.
I got mine for $400 shipped from the Gladiator forum. I've seen them (recently) at $350 shipped. Took an hour to install: 15 minutes to install it and 45 minutes to get the screw I dropped down into the abyss. To me, that was worth it to get (wired) Carplay and gamble on my hated radio-is-default 5".

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I never truly realized how terrible the stock radio was until I had to get a rental car for work for 2 months.

It had wireless carplay and after I connected my phone to it the first time every time after that I just started up the car and it would start playing mid song from where I had stopped.
The Uconnect 3 in my Jeep does exactly that, pretty reliably, no matter if I select the plugged-in USB drive, or BT for my phone. Possibly yours was acting a bit buggy? You did recently mention the default-to-AM issue also occurring.

my 5" government handout edition poor people radio has been issue free for over 5 years now.
Same. Three cheers for public assistance!

SadRobot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2dr Sport
I original wanted the Pioneer C2550NEX but it wasn't in stock at the time so that's how I ended up with the Alpine. Mine has wired carplay which in retrospect I might have gone with the wireless.