Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
those rear RCV sets are expensive. Which I don't really get because I thought the point of RCV was the joint up front. But 400$ chromoly verse 1800$ rear RCV. Better be a lot stronger. Like you said, maybe too strong.

for the price, chromoly rears seems like good insurance for the cost. I haven't done enough research on the front yet. I was most concerned with twisting the splines on the rear pushing more weight or pulling a trailer. The front though I think upgrades more like the actual u-joints.

I'm still learning.
RCV fronts w FAD delete claim the axle is stronger than a stock D60.
Sponsored

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
The steel that RCV uses is much stronger than the typical chromoly axles - either in the front or rear.

However, by the time you're done building 44s with gears, RCVs (front and rear), and truss work, it would have been crazy not to consider bigger axle assemblies. Even just a Ford SuperDuty front and a 14b rear. Actually, I have some regret putting as much effort as I did with my 44s (geared, trussed, RCV front, chromoly rear).
Im only a truss behind you at this point and I totally get your point. I’ll likely truss mine this summer. It’s expensive but still way less than bigger axles. Helps when doing a lot of the labor yourself too.

I do hope bigger axles are in my future, but likely still a couple years away.

For many it’s a death by a thousand cuts situation. You but the Jeep saying I’ll only need 35’s and then I’ll be good. Then you see a deal on 37’s. Then you find a deal on axle shafts, etc. each time you tell yourself you’ll be done after that next purchase. Soon enough you’ve got axles built up beyond their worth.

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Depending on what you plan on doing, I just don't think D60's or 1 ton swaps make sense for everyone. If you're east coast rock bashing, then sure. Or you're gonna go do level 11 trails. But otherwise, its a ton of weight to add for no real reason. Bigger axles, bigger driveshafts, 8 lug wheels. You still have to re-gear it.

The cost isn't even comparable. JK Gear & Gadgets spent or estimated like $16K for a junk yard 1 ton swap. I think D60's are about $15K fully built. Yikes. Just not my jam.

I think all in, I could have $4-5K in my 44's and be pretty reliable. And not a tank to drive around every day. That's paying someone to re-gear and weld on some trusses.

Chromoly vs RCV up front... is there a lot of opinions on that? Whats the complaint about RCV's "clicking"?
Sponsored