Sponsored

Stock alloy wheels vs steel wheels on lease return

Wrangler847

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
wrangler
So I was just another fool to get caught up in a lease and not understand residual and buy outs. Long story short I sold my 5x alloy sport s wheels. I have option to buy 5 tomorrow that some guy pulled off his and never used either or I could put the brand new steel gladiator and tires on the JL. Option two would be easier but I don't want any issues when returning lease. Is this something that I would be charged for ? Funny because when I leased the JL 2 years ago I wanted the black rims but the package I wanted only came with the alloys. I honestly think the black ones look better on a black Wrangler.
Sponsored

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I leased a Nissan for my daughter years ago and it had to be inspected before turning it in. Nissan gives you a 30 day window (from when the lease ends) to get it inspected, do any repairs identified in the inspection, and get it re-inspected for turn-in to dealer.

I would bet that the people doing the inspections have no idea which wheels are supposed to be on it. I would also bet most sales people have no idea what wheels belong on your Jeep! Try turning it in with the current wheels and if they say anything, you can always play dumb.....What? Those aren't the stock wheels?

If it becomes an issue, don't turn it in, buy the alloy's, and do the turn-in process all over again.

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
If it becomes an issue, don't turn it in, buy the alloy's, and do the turn-in process all over again.
The alloys seem to be dirt cheap these days. If you live in a big city I'll bet there are used wheel/tire dealers that have them in stock from takeoffs.
However I've been looking at a lot of online listings and there doesn't seem to be much pattern as to which vehicle has alloys and which has steel. If you have Wrangler Sport S or anything above that, definitely alloys, but just the Wrangler Sport it can be shown with either wheel so it might be hard for the dealer to argue with you unless they had order documentation on the car or photos of the car.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Place a WTB (Want To Buy) listing on the site classifieds, might find someone nearby that has them in his shed collecting crickets :)

OP
OP

Wrangler847

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
wrangler
Place a WTB (Want To Buy) listing on the site classifieds, might find someone nearby that has them in his shed collecting crickets :)
I did lol he has no lug nuts though. I guess I can buy them and buy some lugs

Sponsored

m3reno

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLU
I have 5 alloy rims, 4 with no tires and the spare with a new tire. no tpms. shoot me a price and their yours. I work in NYC or can deliver them

Remoot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
in the past Chrysler has been pretty relaxed. I leased a TJ in 2006 turned it in 3 years later with black steelies and a 2" BB lift, they were perfectly fine with it. Of course that was 11 years ago now, so your mileage may vary.

OP
OP

Wrangler847

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
wrangler
I ended up finding all 5 OEM alloy wheels and tires on fb classified exactly like I had on my JL for $500. He said he took them off the first day he got his JL..they look immaculate. They diddnt come with lug nuts though so I was thinking of using these black ones I have on now with my Moto Metal wheels but they are little thinner. I mounted the spare with them and it seemed fine. I looked at my local auto store online and said $10 a lug nut!! Wth

sdiver68

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sahara 4XE, Tesla M3LR, Nissan Sentra
Occupation
Management Consultant/Small Business Owner
Do not use conical 60 degree lug nuts on factory alloys. Serious danger.

A set of 23 spherical lugs should be less than $25 online.