Stock 2021 JLUR Averaging 14MPG

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Not that I care that it’s too low, I’ve just seen many on this forum state higher numbers and I’d be interested if my jeep is consistently drinking more gas than other stock rubicons. I’m 50/50 highway and street & I rarely drive in heavy traffic. Most I ever get is 19, even as ‘current mpg’ during highway-only driving.

2021 JLUR 3.6 eTorque 4700 Miles

What are you consistently getting in your 3.6 Rubicon?
Sponsored

jdsqrd

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jdsqrd.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Author/Civil Engineer
Just over 2000 miles. Averaging 17 before this weekend then I drove ~475 miles on Highway 75 to Tulsa and back (rural 2-lane and 4-lane highway). A little under 18mpg for the 235 miles into the wind (south) and 20mpg with the wind coming home.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
We probably drive more of a 25% city/75% highway split in the 21 eTorque 3.6 Rubicon and it’s around 18 at best driving it easy, completely stock.

Our 19 Sahara with Rubicon suspension, 3/4” coil spacers, winch up front, and 295/70/18’s on stock wheels, stock gearing (for now) gets about the same, down from a best )of 22-24 avg. It’s a 2.0 eTorque.

Obviously eTorque isn’t a liability for their company to sell. I guess they nixed the 2.0 eT so it wouldn’t overshadow their bigger/badder 4xe 2.0/hybrid any is my guess.

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, YJ, Impreza
Not that I care that it’s too low, I’ve just seen many on this forum state higher numbers and I’d be interested if my jeep is consistently drinking more gas than other stock rubicons. I’m 50/50 highway and street & I rarely drive in heavy traffic. Most I ever get is 19, even as ‘current mpg’ during highway-only driving.

2021 JLUR 3.6 eTorque 4700 Miles

What are you consistently getting in your 3.6 Rubicon?
I think there's a lot of variables at play with MPG's, and every little bit helps. Temperature, how much weight is in the car, PSI of tires, heavy foot, air conditioning turned on, any modifications, roof rack or anything on top, heck, probably even hard top or not, and if you're gauging this with the displayed MPG's or if you're calculating by hand.

I have the same Jeep, 2021 JLUR 3.6 with eTorque but about 450 miles on the vehicle. I would say it's mixed highway and street. The vehicle is fully stock at 37psi (I think) but the PCM reads about 41 (I think). With mine, I want to say it's around 19 MPG's, but I feel like it's too soon to make that accurate.

Sponsored

OP
OP
DavidArmen

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
With 14K miles on 35's my JLUR averages 18 during 64 mile commute. 3.6 auto
Just over 2000 miles. Averaging 17 before this weekend then I drove ~475 miles on Highway 75 to Tulsa and back (rural 2-lane and 4-lane highway). A little under 18mpg for the 235 miles into the wind (south) and 20mpg with the wind coming home.
Thanks so much for chiming in. I never expected epa figures but I excepted it to average around 17-18 also, especially since I never go pedal to the metal and always drive like a grandma lmao

OP
OP
DavidArmen

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I think there's a lot of variables at play with MPG's, and every little bit helps. Temperature, how much weight is in the car, PSI of tires, heavy foot, air conditioning turned on, any modifications, roof rack or anything on top, heck, probably even hard top or not, and if you're gauging this with the displayed MPG's or if you're calculating by hand.

I have the same Jeep, 2021 JLUR 3.6 with eTorque but about 450 miles on the vehicle. I would say it's mixed highway and street. The vehicle is fully stock at 37psi (I think) but the PCM reads about 41 (I think). With mine, I want to say it's around 19 MPG's, but I feel like it's too soon to make that accurate.
You are absolutely right and I’m definitely on the heavier side of that, with steel numbers, a winch, and a hardtop. And I run my stock ko2s at 32 cold.
I’m going by the displayed MPGs but I figured if I compare to others’ displayed MPGs also, it should level the field.
I also heard that MPGs increase after the first few thousand miles but I experienced the opposite of that.

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, YJ, Impreza
You are absolutely right and I’m definitely on the heavier side of that, with steel numbers, a winch, and a hardtop. And I run my stock ko2s at 32 cold.
I’m going by the displayed MPGs but I figured if I compare to others’ displayed MPGs also, it should level the field.
I also heard that MPGs increase after the first few thousand miles but I experienced the opposite of that.
It sounds like I have the same, minus the winch for now. I have the stock steel bumpers, and pretty much the stock packages minus the proximity entry. I'm going to be installing a winch once my plate gets in. Hopefully, it won't kill the MPG's by 5 miles.

Was your mileage always that low?

Xcoaste

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Past - '13 JKU, '97 TJ, '93 YJ
'21 JLUR 3.6 eTorque (all stock) as well. I just hit 2k miles and I am almost all back country roads and stop and go through small towns. I am slowly creeping to 16.5 mpg. That is up about 1.5 mpg from my 2013 3.6 manual.

I am getting ready to switch to the soft top soon and the switch to the summer gas always plays a factor for me too here in the NE.

The few times on the highway, the computer reads on avg. 22-24 mpg, but those were flat highway miles.

OP
OP
DavidArmen

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
It sounds like I have the same, minus the winch for now. I have the stock steel bumpers, and pretty much the stock packages minus the proximity entry. I'm going to be installing a winch once my plate gets in. Hopefully, it won't kill the MPG's by 5 miles.

Was your mileage always that low?
There’s just such a big different between averaging 19 and averaging 14 when it’s the same vehicle.

and yes it was a little higher before but still pretty low. I used to average 16 when I got the jeep but only for the first three or so months and then slowly its been going down since the start of the year and now I’m averaging 14 no matter what. I never paid too much attention to it so I can’t say if it was a gradual decline or if something specific made it happen like installing a winch.

Would a winch + winch plate totaling 100lbs really lower the MPGs that much? I highly doubt that. Especially since it’s sprung weight.

The dealer overfilled my engine at the last oil change but I have no idea if that would affect anything but I’m changing the oil tomorrow myself because I don’t like driving with an overfilled engine and I’ll see if there’s any changes after. Next step after that I will inflate my tires to 37 cold and see how much improvement I get. I really don’t care about the number itself, I just care that it’s lower than other stock rubicons because that makes me curious as to what the reason/s may be.

Sponsored

OP
OP
DavidArmen

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
'21 JLUR 3.6 eTorque (all stock) as well. I just hit 2k miles and I am almost all back country roads and stop and go through small towns. I am slowly creeping to 16.5 mpg. That is up about 1.5 mpg from my 2013 3.6 manual.

I am getting ready to switch to the soft top soon and the switch to the summer gas always plays a factor for me too here in the NE.

The few times on the highway, the computer reads on avg. 22-24 mpg, but those were flat highway miles.
Thanks for the input!
For street driving, 16.5 is more on the average side and you’re getting great highway fuel economy. On a flat highway, I get about 19. I’ve never once seen 20 on my jeep at any speed.

camo4stealth

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW R 1250RS-'20, BMW R 1250GS-'20, Ducati 950SS
Occupation
Taxpayer
2 dr. '21 Wrangler Rubicon. At 875 miles I'm averaging 20.8mpg (automatic)

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Heck, I can average 14 mpg pulling my camper.
I have 37s , lifted, 5.13 gears yad, yad....

Jeep Wrangler JL Stock 2021 JLUR Averaging 14MPG 1626828404021

mixed driving between 16 and 19.

Kevin Mojito

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Moijto 2005 TJ AEV Hemi
Try this trick if you have 8sp auto.
Get up to speed ( street or freeway ) then go to manual mode and up shift to keep it 1500 rpm or just under. This has pushed me from 17-18 to 20-21. I have tried going real soft on the go pedal, with manual mode and made 21.5 for a tank. Cant run that slow all the time... Happy with 20-21. Yes, it's doggy running at 1500 or under. Just get it up to speed first and then hold the 1500 rpm range. I run 8th as low as 36mph ( 315's with stock 4:10's.) That's where it will get over 23 mpg.

chadk77

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TJ, 2021 JLURubicon
Build Thread
Link
WHen I first got mine I was averaging around 17-17.5 and as it broke in it worked it's way up to 19.1-20 that I've been getting for a good while now. 50/50 highway vs city driving.
Sponsored