Sponsored

Stock 2020 Rubicon Unlimited, going 35”, but need some advice (I’ve searched)

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 JK / 2020 JLUR
You realize those BFG's with "FO" at the end were spec'd by Ford for the Raptor in C load range and have 2 ply sidewalls. While I have not seen a set personally, I have seen posts on other forums/websites stating these are only 2 ply sidewalls. The E load range ones are 3 ply sidewalls.

I honestly don't know if BFG makes a set of 315/70R17 C range with 3 ply sidewalls. On Discount Tire, they only list the E range and the "FO" C range.
The factory 285 KO2s on the the Rubicons are “C” rated and 2ply. So no difference in durability with the 315 “FO”, in fact the 315 “FO” may be even tougher as it was intended(design specified) for use on a much heavier truck and higher speed off roading when compared to the JLR or JLUR.

The 315 “FO” are not the best for hard core rock crawling in big tire swallowing rocks and drop offs with sharp edges, instead they are best suited to moderate trails with basketball sized rocks and drop offs.

Today’s BFG 2ply KO2 are as tough as 3ply KO of less then 10 years ago and those were fairly tough tires.

Last edited:

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Running a narrower wheel decreases your chance of losing a bead as it increases pressure of the bead to wheel mating surface.
True, except when you drop to the lower psi numbers under 15. I have seen a fair number of bead failures on “C” rated tires on narrow rims when folks try to run them at really low psi and make tight or off camber turns on rocky trails. The sidewalks push inward more easily then “D&E” tires and pulls the bead away from the rim causing the tire to rapidly loose air pressure. The tires/beads do not come off the rim, but they can and do go flat requiring them to be aired back up.

I used 15 psi as it is well within a safety margin. Also very little need to drop a 315 “C” rated tire below that psi, because at 15 psi “C” tires have similar ground footprints (do to their more flexible sidewalks)when on stock rims as an “E” rated at 10psi on most wider aftermarket rims.

Last edited:

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Narrow wheel = "poor man's beadlock"
Thank you! You just made the point for staying with the factory rims. They are as safe as expensive beadlock rims but at no additional cost.

Last edited:

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
You realize those BFG's with "FO" at the end were spec'd by Ford for the Raptor in C load range and have 2 ply sidewalls. While I have not seen a set personally, I have seen posts on other forums/websites stating these are only 2 ply sidewalls. The E load range ones are 3 ply sidewalls.

I honestly don't know if BFG makes a set of 315/70R17 C range with 3 ply sidewalls. On Discount Tire, they only list the E range and the "FO" C range.
According to Tirerack, the regular KO2s (non- FO version) in C load rating are 2-ply sidewalls

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=All-Terrain+T/A+KO2

which would lead one to ask exactly what is the difference between the FO variant and the base KO2?

Sponsored

B-man

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
I’ve had both the KO2s (33s and 35s) and cooper discoverer stt pros (35s) on my JL rubicon (2.5 inch lift). After moving on from the stock KO2 33s (Which l liked) to the coopers, I couldn’t take the tire noise on the roads, the pulling to the right, and terrible performance in the snow. I had to go back to the KO2s (35s) and cut bait on the coopers after a year. Despite the cost, I’m so glad I did. Not even winter yet and I’m loving it.

I’d recommend a reinforced bracket for yourspare tire carrier or get a rear bumper with one attached. I’ve heard horrror stories about the back buckling. I got the reinforced bracket/hinge for the back and have had no issues with the heavier cooper tire hanging off the back of it.

For context, I off-road occasionally on trails around the easy-moderate level so no major rock crawling and very little mud so the coopers Im sure were better for pure off-roading but overkill for what I need off-road.

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
According to Tirerack, the regular KO2s (non- FO version) in C load rating are 2-ply sidewalls

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=All-Terrain+T/A+KO2

which would lead one to ask exactly what is the difference between the FO variant and the base KO2?
Most likely it has slightly stronger 2 ply sidewall materials and or slightly thicker rubber. This would help maintain a softer road ride then a “D or E” rated tire that is more common on similar sized trucks. All the while being able to handle the riggers of higher off road driving speeds the Raptor is known for and is expected by Raptor buyers.

Fatboy97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Rubicon JL
Just installed 5 x BFG 315/70 C rated 6 ply on Mopar 8" x 17" bead lock capable wheels. I like the tires since they were supplied on a Raptor (33" 285/70R 17 in 2010) where they were really smooth on the road but also pretty good on the trail. The 33" BFG's that were supplied with the stock Jeep were also good but not optimal on the Jeep (read on). I like the wheels because they are the narrowest recommended by BFG (8") for these 315/70R 17, 35" tires so I get a tall sidewall which at 37PSI turns these tires into fluffy air pillows when compared with the 33's, even though both are C load rated which is key to ride quality vs. a D or E rating. Maybe for a four door Jeep, the D or even the E might be OK but not for a 2 door Jeep. With the tall sidewalls and fatter tire these BFG 315/70R 17 provide better small bump compliance than the 33's did, so I consider the tires an important part of the Jeep suspension. An added bonus is that when I'm driving in a spirited manner, I don't get the rear end breaking loose a little on wet patches in the hills anymore like I did with the 33's. Also, I used new TPMS from Shrader which are OEM so the sensors work well with the larger tires.

IMG_0558.JPG

IMG_0560 2.JPG

IMG_0565 2.JPG

IMG_0567 2.JPG

IMG_0570.JPG
I have the same Jeep as you and looking at the same tires. Do you have a lift on your Jeep?

Mattk11

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLU Rubicon
I'm sure you already made a decision by now, but I'll give you my two cents as I searched for about a month for the ideal set-up for me. My 2013 JK had 18" wheels with Goodyear Duratrac and it was a rough ride - I wouldn't even take it more than 100 miles on the interstate.

When I bought my JLU Rubicon, I went with 17" wheels with 0 offset and 35" Duratracs again. My tires protrude about 1.5" outside the fenders, but I like the look. Absolutely no rubbing. I added front Rokblok mudflaps to keep rocks from flying up from the front tires and the dealer peeled off the rear fender bras and replaced them with much larger full coverage clear bra material. The spare tire mounted fine but I did add the tailgate reinforcement. The ride is 1000% better than my JK and indistinguishable from the stock setup from the factory. I think that has to do with the JL just being a far better vehicle combined with more rubber. I contemplated the KO2s but I liked the more aggressive look of the Duratracs. My local Discount Tire manager said he has run both and he thought they were almost the same but the Duratracs were a little better in the snow.

Jeep Wrangler JL Stock 2020 Rubicon Unlimited, going 35”, but need some advice (I’ve searched) Side View Jee
Jeep Wrangler JL Stock 2020 Rubicon Unlimited, going 35”, but need some advice (I’ve searched) 3:4 front

Hobo

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL Unlimited Rubicon
True, except when you drop to the lower psi numbers under 15. I have seen a fair number of bead failures on “C” rated tires on narrow rims when folks try to run them at really low psi and make tight or off camber turns on rocky trails. The sidewalks push inward more easily then “D&E” tires and pulls the bead away from the rim causing the tire to rapidly loose air pressure. The tires/beads do not come off the rim, but they can and do go flat requiring them to be aired back up.

I used 15 psi as it is well within a safety margin. Also very little need to drop a 315 “C” rated tire below that psi, because at 15 psi “C” tires have similar ground footprints (do to their more flexible sidewalks)when on stock rims as an “E” rated at 10psi on most wider aftermarket rims.
Stupid question: Sorry if I missed it somewhere, but I have BFG 315s on 2020 Rubicon stock rims. What is the proper inflation for the tires? I think my dash says they are all around 36 or 37 psi, and it rides fine (road, not offroad). But I don't know if those reading are adjusted for the non-factory tires (I never adjusted the computer stuff after I got the new tires), and I'm guessing the numbers that they print on the inside driver door are not applicable... It's getting cold here soon and wanted to get it right.

Sponsored

hawgwld

First Name
Hawgwld
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Unlimited Rubicon
I bought a 2020 Rubicon about 3 months ago. I daily drove it to my shop in the ghetto of Chicago, 35 miles each way to work. I bough a commuter car, so the Jeep is my “fun” vehicle. I love it except...I need to put bigger and wider tires on it. So, I have a few questions (I’ve searched to do crystal clear answer)....

1. I know I can go 35” ‘tires without a lift, but I’m not sure which tires to go with....Nitto, Toyo, BFG. I know they say they are 35”, but some are closer to 34”....some are exactly 35”....does it really matter?

2. I want 18” Gray wheels....my rig is sting gray. I want not suspension work for the time being, so what is a good offset. I saw a video on YouTube and the guy put 35” on wheels with a -12 offset and I liked the way it looked.

3. The tire carrier. I know size and offset can be the difference from fitting and not. Will 35”s on 18” wheels with a -12 offset require any mods to the tire carrier?

Thanks for any help....I wanna do it this way for a while and I don’t plan on rock crawling or hitting any major rails until it’s out of,warranty and paid off.
Nitto Ridge Grapplers and Venom Rex wheels. They are running a sale now too

IMG_0686.JPG

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stupid question: Sorry if I missed it somewhere, but I have BFG 315s on 2020 Rubicon stock rims. What is the proper inflation for the tires? I think my dash says they are all around 36 or 37 psi, and it rides fine (road, not offroad). But I don't know if those reading are adjusted for the non-factory tires (I never adjusted the computer stuff after I got the new tires), and I'm guessing the numbers that they print on the inside driver door are not applicable... It's getting cold here soon and wanted to get it right.
I run mine around 32psi cold. I like the slightly softer ride at this psi. But this can cause the TPMS to be set off so you would need to reset the limits with an aftermarket tuning system. There are several on the market.

If you like the ride where your psi is now then leave it alone. Kind of the “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it” thing.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0

tehkayd

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Sting-Gray
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I have Nitto Ridge Grappler 35 x 12.50 with Black Rhino Warlord Gunmetal 18 x 9 -12. Zero rubbing and quiet road noise.

Jeep Wrangler JL Stock 2020 Rubicon Unlimited, going 35”, but need some advice (I’ve searched) IMG_0686.JPG
Did you get a 5th Warlord and how is the fit on the back?

Matto74

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Did you get a 5th Warlord and how is the fit on the back?
Yes I did. It fit ok with the stock tire carrier but was concerned with the long term because of the extra weight so I upgraded the tire carrier.
Sponsored