Sponsored

Stock 2020 Rubicon Unlimited, going 35”, but need some advice (I’ve searched)

KingBlotto

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Yukon, Audi Q7, Chapparal 227ssx
I have Nitto Ridge Grappler 35 x 12.50 with Black Rhino Warlord Gunmetal 18 x 9 -12. Zero rubbing and quiet road noise.

Test Drive New Tires.jpg

Can't love this setup enough! I have a sting gray on order and LOVE the warlords... Great rig!
Sponsored

Matto74

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Can't love this setup enough! I have a sting gray on order and LOVE the warlords... Great rig!
Thanks! The guy that ordered them for me was not so sure I should get those but once he put them on he changed his mind quickly. He asked if he could put a picture of the Jeep on his website.

Mr. Curti

First Name
Justin Curti
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL EcoDiesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Dairy Farmer
Vehicle Showcase
I’m extremely happy with the Toyo Open Country MT 35’s on my Jeep. The ride, handling and road noise is better than the factory Falcons. Even the Open County AT’s on my ranch truck are really good. I switched to the Toyo’s from Nitto ridge grappler’s and have been very happy with the switch.

Jeep Wrangler JL Stock 2020 Rubicon Unlimited, going 35”, but need some advice (I’ve searched) 6664F209-9712-4183-B7A2-8197787C1553

OP
OP
Nicky Pass

Nicky Pass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray Rubicon 2.0T
I’m extremely happy with the Toyo Open Country MT 35’s on my Jeep. The ride, handling and road noise is better than the factory Falcons. Even the Open County AT’s on my ranch truck are really good. I switched to the Toyo’s from Nitto ridge grappler’s and have been very happy with the switch.

Jeep Wrangler JL Stock 2020 Rubicon Unlimited, going 35”, but need some advice (I’ve searched) 6664F209-9712-4183-B7A2-8197787C1553
Is that stock height, or lifted?

Sponsored

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
There are folks on this board who suggest that 35’s on a Rubicon will “only” fit (and give you full articulation/no rubbing) without a lift if you use the existing OEM rims (+44 offset). There are many examples of folks on this board doing exactly that.

there are some who suggest that the 7.5” rim width of the stock rim is out of spec for a 35” tire. For instance, some say, BFG KO2 315/70/17’s “require“ a minimum rim of 8” and should not be mounted on a 7.5” rim. Yet Discount tire among others do mount them on OEM 7.5” rims

there are others who have put all sorts of rim offsets (0’s and -12’s, etc) on 8-9” rims and 35’s without a lift and claim absolutely no issues but it is unclear to me if they are getting full flex or not without rubbing.

for me? I just remain confused.
Discount Tire threw 37’s on my stock JK Rubicon runs a few years back. Not sure what width they were but they did it. Only issue was that they scratched the wheels with their machine...

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I bought a 2020 Rubicon about 3 months ago. I daily drove it to my shop in the ghetto of Chicago, 35 miles each way to work. I bough a commuter car, so the Jeep is my “fun” vehicle. I love it except...I need to put bigger and wider tires on it. So, I have a few questions (I’ve searched to do crystal clear answer)....

1. I know I can go 35” ‘tires without a lift, but I’m not sure which tires to go with....Nitto, Toyo, BFG. I know they say they are 35”, but some are closer to 34”....some are exactly 35”....does it really matter?

2. I want 18” Gray wheels....my rig is sting gray. I want not suspension work for the time being, so what is a good offset. I saw a video on YouTube and the guy put 35” on wheels with a -12 offset and I liked the way it looked.

3. The tire carrier. I know size and offset can be the difference from fitting and not. Will 35”s on 18” wheels with a -12 offset require any mods to the tire carrier?

Thanks for any help....I wanna do it this way for a while and I don’t plan on rock crawling or hitting any major rails until it’s out of,warranty and paid off.
I would go with the Cooper Discover STT Pros.. Yes they are a MT class tire, but the sheer presence these tire provide make it worth what ever the trade off is.

OP
OP
Nicky Pass

Nicky Pass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray Rubicon 2.0T
So what would the proper offset be on a 18” wheel with 35”s?

y2kcbr600

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
I put 35x11.5r17 Toyo AT3 on my Mojave. I think it is the perfect size tire for legal on road use, and is within specification of stock wheels that I reused. Toyo says the tire is actually a 34.5. Only have a few hundred miles, and initial feedback would be the tires feel and sound like a hard rubber compound tire, but looks exactly (minus .5 inch) how I wanted. The tire guy made fun of me for taking the Falken Wildpeak off, cause those have a thicker sidewall and my new ones took around 5 ounces of weight to balance. We measured the before and after weight on an old dirty non zeroed bathroom scale laying in the corner of his shop, and it appeared the new tires were around 3 pounds lighter (specs say they are about 2 lbs heavier) . The spare went up under the bed easily with room to SPARE.

Sponsored

Zagman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 4 door
I bought a 2020 Rubicon about 3 months ago. I daily drove it to my shop in the ghetto of Chicago, 35 miles each way to work. I bough a commuter car, so the Jeep is my “fun” vehicle. I love it except...I need to put bigger and wider tires on it. So, I have a few questions (I’ve searched to do crystal clear answer)....

1. I know I can go 35” ‘tires without a lift, but I’m not sure which tires to go with....Nitto, Toyo, BFG. I know they say they are 35”, but some are closer to 34”....some are exactly 35”....does it really matter?

2. I want 18” Gray wheels....my rig is sting gray. I want not suspension work for the time being, so what is a good offset. I saw a video on YouTube and the guy put 35” on wheels with a -12 offset and I liked the way it looked.

3. The tire carrier. I know size and offset can be the difference from fitting and not. Will 35”s on 18” wheels with a -12 offset require any mods to the tire carrier?

Thanks for any help....I wanna do it this way for a while and I don’t plan on rock crawling or hitting any major rails until it’s out of,warranty and paid off.
Hello from NZ - I bought a 2020 Rubicon a few weeks ago. They arrive here with KM2s, which we all know are great mud tyres but not a great all round tyre. I also wanted something with good sand and snow performance and a tyre that would have A slightly larger contact patch but a circumference that would mearn I wouldn’t need to recalibrate the speedo. Finally settled on BFG ATs - K02s, 275/70/17. Already been off road on sand and forest and they are brilliant. Also quieter, safer on road and still look as they should do. Put the KM2s on a set of OEM wheels away for a rainy (and muddy) day. Go well out there.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Not the same tire spec I make reference to. There are a few different spec KO2 tires in 315. Yes its kind of confusing

The 315 I show below are the same spec as the 285 that come stock on most JL Rubicons

Either way myself and many thousands of other folks run 315/35s of all brands on stock rims daily and this clearly shows they are safe for daily driving and moderate off road use without worry. One thing about Jeep folks is if it fails often or they get a good photo of a failure they will let the world know. So then I ask, where are the “I almost died because I had 315/35s on stock factory rims” threads? In 10 years of being on a number of Jeep forums I have never seen one.

Jeep knows this and would not say the Rubicons are built from the factory to be able to run 315/35” tires on stock rims and no modifications, without being fairly certain there in no danger. Unless they mean only the tire show below? Which wouldn’t be a lie, but not the entire truth either.

P.S. I run the below tire on my JLUR on stock rims. These are screen shots from America Tires web page not BFG.com. I had them already and did not want to search around again for screen shots. The information was provided to AT by BFG.
You realize those BFG's with "FO" at the end were spec'd by Ford for the Raptor in C load range and have 2 ply sidewalls. While I have not seen a set personally, I have seen posts on other forums/websites stating these are only 2 ply sidewalls. The E load range ones are 3 ply sidewalls.

I honestly don't know if BFG makes a set of 315/70R17 C range with 3 ply sidewalls. On Discount Tire, they only list the E range and the "FO" C range.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
This is so incredibly frustrating, The BFG website doesn’t even list a ”C2 FO” variant of this tire. What the heck is a C2 FO?

thanks for posting this as it might explain why places like discount tire (which also lists the C2 FO tire) is Willing to mount it on a 7.5” rim.
The "FO" is the designator given by BFG signifying these are the O.E. tires for a Ford vehicle, in this case a Raptor.

TheEddie

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Actually the 315/70/17 KO2s in “C” load range are rated for 7.5” rims and up. This according to the information listed on them by BFG.

The issue with tires in the 315/35 range on rims of 7.5” come into play when the psi is somewhere under 15psi. At low off road psi the chances of blowing a bead increase sharply.
Running a narrower wheel decreases your chance of losing a bead as it increases pressure of the bead to wheel mating surface.

shekmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
The more you read the more confused you will get! I hated my stock KO2's in the wet and snow. My Goodyear Duratracs are great in wet, but noisy compared to the KO2s. I read that TOYO AT3 and Wildpeak AT are also good in wet. I would seriously consider wet performance because you commute far. Those tires also have more siping for better snow and wet performance.
Sponsored