Sponsored

Stock 2020 Rubicon Unlimited, going 35”, but need some advice (I’ve searched)

Equitasforall

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
I could tell you, but then....
In anticipation of upgrading to 35s when my stock KO2s wear out I went with the 17x9 Rugged Ridge XHD in gunmetal grey. They make an 18 as well in several widths. I didn’t feel comfortable putting a 35 on the stock wheel even though many say you can. I figured I’d stick with manufacturer recommendations for liability and safety reasons. I’m going to go with the KO2s again for the tire as I’ve had a lot of success with them on multiple vehicles over the years (2 Raptors, my JL, 4Runner) and really like what I’ve been able to do with them.

As the 35s on the XHDs will be right around 100 pounds, I did go ahead and add the MOPAR tailgate reinforcement and relocation bracket. Got differing guidance that ran the spectrum from “are you out of your mind? You don’t need to waste money on that when you can waste money on __________ instead” to “you absolutely need something with that weight so your tailgate doesn’t fold like a lawn chair when you hit a bump.” I deferred to manufacturer guidance again out of an abundance of caution.

So far so good on both, and no regrets.

BE431699-DA21-49B7-ABD8-7EAE870C2391.jpeg
87520E6C-21F7-4685-BBA3-734D105F0966.jpeg
E740A7CC-4C55-458B-9CF8-147479911B7E.jpeg
Sponsored

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Actually the 315/70/17 KO2s in “C” load range are rated for 7.5” rims and up. This according to the information listed on them by BFG.
are you sure about that? I know very little about tires: Am I reading this wrong?

Jeep Wrangler JL Stock 2020 Rubicon Unlimited, going 35”, but need some advice (I’ve searched) D731485A-116D-4DF9-BA91-E7FD2A0B270B

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
In anticipation of upgrading to 35s when my stock KO2s wear out I went with the 17x9 Rugged Ridge XHD in gunmetal grey. They make an 18 as well in several widths. I didn’t feel comfortable putting a 35 on the stock wheel even though many say you can. I figured I’d stick with manufacturer recommendations for liability and safety reasons. I’m going to go with the KO2s again for the tire as I’ve had a lot of success with them on multiple vehicles over the years (2 Raptors, my JL, 4Runner) and really like what I’ve been able to do with them.

As the 35s on the XHDs will be right around 100 pounds, I did go ahead and add the MOPAR tailgate reinforcement and relocation bracket. Got differing guidance that ran the spectrum from “are you out of your mind? You don’t need to waste money on that when you can waste money on __________ instead” to “you absolutely need something with that weight so your tailgate doesn’t fold like a lawn chair when you hit a bump.” I deferred to manufacturer guidance again out of an abundance of caution.

So far so good on both, and no regrets.

BE431699-DA21-49B7-ABD8-7EAE870C2391.jpeg
87520E6C-21F7-4685-BBA3-734D105F0966.jpeg
E740A7CC-4C55-458B-9CF8-147479911B7E.jpeg
Really good looking!!!!!! Is that the +12 offset version?

Last edited:

Matto74

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I have Nitto Ridge Grappler 35 x 12.50 with Black Rhino Warlord Gunmetal 18 x 9 -12. Zero rubbing and quiet road noise.

Test Drive New Tires.jpg

Sponsored

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I have Nitto Ridge Grappler 35 x 12.50 with Black Rhino Warlord Gunmetal 18 x 9 -12. Zero rubbing and quiet road noise.

Jeep Wrangler JL Stock 2020 Rubicon Unlimited, going 35”, but need some advice (I’ve searched) Test Drive New Tires
May I ask a question?

Have you taken this setup (really nice BTW!) out to the trail, disconnected the sway bar and gone full flex and still got no rubbing on the fender lips (or anywhere else)? If not, what do you mean when you say “zero rubbing”?

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx-retired
I tried 35s on stock wheels and had rubbing. Before the lift the 35s would rub the fender liners at full stuff. After 2” mopar lift the tires still contacted the left front shock and inner fender liner. I gave up on the stock wheels and went to a +10 wheel, and now have no more rubbing. I did have to get JK rubber spare tire bumpers for my tailgate as the offset moved my tire away from the tailgate about an inch.

Matto74

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
May I ask a question?

Have you taken this setup (really nice BTW!) out to the trail, disconnected the sway bar and gone full flex and still got no rubbing on the fender lips (or anywhere else)? If not, what do you mean when you say “zero rubbing”?
Thanks. Not any full off-roading but some rough terrain. No rubbing on full turns because of the offset or rubbing when I was going in and out of a few deep ditches. I had a friend that put a lift on a sport and the dealer put 37's and they would get rubbing going over speed bumps.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Thanks. Not any full off-roading but some rough terrain. No rubbing on full turns because of the offset or rubbing when I was going in and out of a few deep ditches. I had a friend that put a lift on a sport and the dealer put 37's and they would get rubbing going over speed bumps.
Thanks for the reply!

sounds like you do the same general type of off-roading that I do and it’s good to hear that you are not rubbing. I really like those warlords. I am thinking that I would go with the 8” +30 as they will fit a 315 within manufacturer spec and, I think, give “full flex/no rub“ should I ever decide to challenge myself....... oh, and the backspacing on the +30 model is pretty close to the stock OEM rims.

thanks again.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Can’t say enough good things about my Yokohama Geolander M/T G003. Highly recommended

(I have 35x12.5x17 on my JKUR)

Sponsored

Equitasforall

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
I could tell you, but then....
Really good looking!!!!!! Is that the +12 offset version?
Thanks! It is indeed the +12. I'll Likely have the 35s on in the next month or two... will post pics then.

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 JK / 2020 JLUR
are you sure about that? I know very little about tires: Am I reading this wrong?

Jeep Wrangler JL Stock 2020 Rubicon Unlimited, going 35”, but need some advice (I’ve searched) Test Drive New Tires
Not the same tire spec I make reference to. There are a few different spec KO2 tires in 315. Yes its kind of confusing

The 315 I show below are the same spec as the 285 that come stock on most JL Rubicons

Either way myself and many thousands of other folks run 315/35s of all brands on stock rims daily and this clearly shows they are safe for daily driving and moderate off road use without worry. One thing about Jeep folks is if it fails often or they get a good photo of a failure they will let the world know. So then I ask, where are the “I almost died because I had 315/35s on stock factory rims” threads? In 10 years of being on a number of Jeep forums I have never seen one.

Jeep knows this and would not say the Rubicons are built from the factory to be able to run 315/35” tires on stock rims and no modifications, without being fairly certain there in no danger. Unless they mean only the tire show below? Which wouldn’t be a lie, but not the entire truth either.

P.S. I run the below tire on my JLUR on stock rims. These are screen shots from America Tires web page not BFG.com. I had them already and did not want to search around again for screen shots. The information was provided to AT by BFG.
Jeep Wrangler JL Stock 2020 Rubicon Unlimited, going 35”, but need some advice (I’ve searched) 2877E280-37D4-4B45-A899-6015E6015A6A
Jeep Wrangler JL Stock 2020 Rubicon Unlimited, going 35”, but need some advice (I’ve searched) 8D444AEB-75CD-4F13-91A0-BF5D859A107E

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Not the same tire spec I make reference to. There are a few different spec KO2 tires in 315. Yes its kind of confusing

The 315 I show below are the same spec as the 285 that come stock on most JL Rubicons

Either way myself and many thousands of other folks run 315/35s of all brands on stock rims daily and this clearly shows they are safe for daily driving and moderate off road use without worry. One thing about Jeep folks is if it fails often or they get a good photo of a failure they will let the world know. So then I ask, where are the “I almost died because I had 315/35s on stock factory rims” threads? In 10 years of being on a number of Jeep forums I have never seen one.

Jeep knows this and would not say the Rubicons are built from the factory to be able to run 315/35” tires on stock rims and no modifications, without being fairly certain there in no danger. Unless they mean only the tire show below? Which wouldn’t be a lie, but not the entire truth either.

P.S. I run the below tire on my JLUR on stock rims. These are screen shots from America Tires web page not BFG.com. I had them already and did not want to search around again for screen shots. The information was provided to AT by BFG.
Jeep Wrangler JL Stock 2020 Rubicon Unlimited, going 35”, but need some advice (I’ve searched) 8D444AEB-75CD-4F13-91A0-BF5D859A107E
This is so incredibly frustrating, The BFG website doesn’t even list a ”C2 FO” variant of this tire. What the heck is a C2 FO?

thanks for posting this as it might explain why places like discount tire (which also lists the C2 FO tire) is Willing to mount it on a 7.5” rim.

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 JK / 2020 JLUR
This is so incredibly frustrating, The BFG website doesn’t even list a ”C2 FO” variant of this tire. What the heck is a C2 FO?

thanks for posting this as it might explain why places like discount tire (which also lists the C2 FO tire) is Willing to mount it on a 7.5” rim.
I was told by two sources that the 315 “C2” was the “new” OEM spec tire for the current FORD Raptors. Don’t know if that is true I haven’t looked closely at a current factory 315/70/17 KO2 FORD Raptor tire. It does make sense as to why it is and is not listed on various commercial and retail web sites. I have seen this a number of times before where some specs are intended as factory replacements/dealerships and not the general public and can be hard to find on non commercial web sites.

The “C2” is a really good riding spec. No different, maybe slightly better then the stock 285s (more sidewall and lower road psi needs) and way better then some other “C & D” rated AT tires my friends run on their JL/URs.

Anyways good luck on your search. It is half the fun. In the end after everyone has given their .02 you have to be the one comfortable with your decision.

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I was told by two sources that the 315 “C2” was the “new” OEM spec tire for the current FORD Raptors. Don’t know if that is true I haven’t looked closely at a current factory 315/70/17 KO2 FORD Raptor tire. It does make sense as to why it is and is not listed on various commercial and retail web sites. I have seen this a number of times before where some specs are intended as factory replacements/dealerships and not the general public and can be hard to find on non commercial web sites.

The “C2” is a really good riding spec. No different, maybe slightly better then the stock 285s (more sidewall and lower road psi needs) and way better then some other “C & D” rated AT tires my friends run on their JL/URs.

Anyways good luck on your search. It is half the fun. In the end after everyone has given their .02 you have to be the one comfortable with your decision.
That's the same tire I run. Yes it is stock Raptor BFG K02. Very quiet, good wet road manners. Snow rated so fully expect these to be as good as the old E rated ones I ran on my JK'S.
Sponsored