Stock 18 JL Death Wobble @ 5000 miles.

Peck1234

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S 2 Door
My 18 JL with only 5200 miles is experiencing the same "death wobble" depicted in this video.

I am scheduled for service on
10-7-2019 at the dealer.

My jeep has already had the V41 Recall. Coming from a 13 Jk this is very disappointing.
Sponsored

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse
Good luck getting it fixed. A new steering stabilizer isn’t a fix for true death wobble. They need to replace more components.

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
Get under the front end and start grabbing steering components/track bar/etc and giving them a good heavy shove back and forth / up and down until you find stuff with excessive play. Document this for the dealer and hopefully they'll replace loose parts/bushings/etc.

¤|||||||¤

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
My 18 JL with only 5200 miles is experiencing the same "death wobble" depicted in this video.

I am scheduled for service on
10-7-2019 at the dealer.

My jeep has already had the V41 Recall. Coming from a 13 Jk this is very disappointing.
Save yourself the headache...get the FOX ATS adjustable or TEREFLEX adjustable. These stabilizers are worth EVERY penny. Trust me...it makes a huge difference. There're only 350

OP
OP
Peck1234

Peck1234

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S 2 Door
Its just ridiculous that a brand new vehicle is doing this. I made a complaint to the NHTSA. Really don't want to spend any coin while its under warranty.

Sponsored

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Can you confirm it had the v41 recall. Not just on paper or via my Mopar but actually look at the SS and see if they even really did it. There is a difference in the new SS vs the old SS looks wise so you should be able to quickly identify. Also, some have reported that their v41 SS’s were installed upside down. The bulge should face down if I’m not mistaken. Just trying to help.

OP
OP
Peck1234

Peck1234

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S 2 Door
Can you confirm it had the v41 recall. Not just on paper or via my Mopar but actually look at the SS and see if they even really did it. There is a difference in the new SS vs the old SS looks wise so you should be able to quickly identify. Also, some have reported that their v41 SS’s were installed upside down. The bulge should face down if I’m not mistaken. Just trying to help.
i will take pictures and upload them shortly

OP
OP
Peck1234

Peck1234

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S 2 Door
Well sure enough just checked and they mounted it upside down. Literally the sticker has a picture with an arrow that says front of car and it's pointing to my rear. Additionally my track bar has excessive play. :mad:

Is it possible I have damage because of these clowns?

IMG_1138.jpg

IMG_1144.JPG

Last edited:

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
The backwards steering stabilizer isn’t the end of the world. Check the torque on the track bar.

Watching the video, what you have is bad but not terrible. What I consider a real full blown death wobble can only be stopped by slowing the vehicle to nearly 0. There is no contoling it, steering wheel inputs aren’t effective and you’re basically holding on for dear life trying to slow down to regain control.

When we had it, it was between 35-55 mph. Below and above that it was perfectly fine. Yours happens at 75 which I’m sure isn’t any fun. If you’re anywhere near SE Texas, bring it by and we will take a look and check the torque on everything. These can be fixed, however, it can be a frustrating process when the dealer has a certain order they follow. Aftermarket parts shouldn’t be necessary but in our opinion you have to do a cost/gain analysis and decide how quickly you want this fixed and how safe is your vehicle. Also, when you compare the stock parts to products like steer smart it’ll be clear how much of an improvement you made

Brett

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
There's a revised factory trackbar P/N 68394087AA. Not sure what the difference is.

S1819000003 Feb 2019 updated version-1.jpg

S1819000003 Feb 2019 updated version-2.jpg

S1819000003 Feb 2019 updated version-3.jpg

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Mike, there's been reports of damage to that Steering Stabilizer if it's mounted upside down. I'd take it back and see if they will replace it w/ a new one and of course install it right this time! They should also be using fresh fasteners when they do this too.

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Well sure enough just checked and they mounted it upside down. Literally the sticker has a picture with an arrow that says front of car and it's pointing to my rear. Additionally my track bar has excessive play. :mad:

Is it possible I have damage because of these clowns?
Glad I told you to check lol

Like @rustyshakelford said, it won’t cause full on DW but IMO certainly a contributing factor in the grand scheme and should be fixed regardless.

Sounds like you could also use the revised track bar as well

OP
OP
Peck1234

Peck1234

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S 2 Door
Picking her up tomorrow. Passed the dealership on the way home to take a quick look at the undercarriage. As far as the stabilizer goes they just flipped it right-side up. They said they checked the play in the track bar and various steering components.

Last edited:

Magnus579

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport S JLU
Unfortunately, I can't comment on the track bar play in your video but I do have some experience with the wobble in the original post.

I've had this same wobble in my jeep since purchase in 2018. At speed (60-80mph) I would hit a bump and it would wobble for 1-3 seconds then stop. After a recent tire rotation (and over 40k miles) I was experiencing what you show in the video - the wobble wouldn't stop unless I slowed down. I did have the recall update performed on the steering damp/stabilizer and the wobble persisted. I did not check the positioning of the new/recalled stabilizer.

I assumed the original tires (after 40k miles and uneven wear due to some lapses in rotation) were contributing to this issue. After a tire change, and a suspension upgrade (the JLUR suspension) the wobble stopped completely. Subsequent to that, I installed a Fox 2.0 steering stabilizer and can note an additional significant difference in control / drive ability.

Some things to check/have checked: 1) Wheel/tire balance (I believe this was my issue) 2) Tire Pressure (Brett - who has posted in this thread, recommended a drop down to 30 PSI for K02s) - the idea being that your tires will absorb more of the impact of a bump than the other steering components 3) An aftermarket steering stabilizer (Fox 2.0 was what was recommended to me) - even if it doesn't fix your wobble, it's a great upgrade for overall control.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Picking her up tomorrow. Passed the dealership on the way home to take a quick look at the undercarriage. As far as the stabilizer goes they just flipped it right-side up. They said they checked the play in the track bar and various steering components.
Any follow up?
Sponsored