Sponsored

Stinger Visibility

APiratesLife4Me

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Clubs

I have done lots of searching and Google-ing and can’t seem to find what I’m looking for. So gold star for anyone that can quickly point me at an answer.

Unlike the lucky ones, I do not have a driveway or even a designated parking spot. My JL lives on the street and spends its days scrapping with soccer moms for parallel street parking when I’m not out exploring the Pacific Northwest - as in, this thing is going to be tapped and bumped on the regular.

So what I’m looking for is a stubby (possibly mid width) bumper with a stinger/winch guard. I like the stinger look but I need to be able to see it from the driver’s seat, for parking reasons.

My primary concern is that I’ll have to just KNOW where the tip of the bumper is and not be able to see it while parallel parking.

Inches count here people!

I love the look of the Artec Nighthawk, but I’m concerned that it’s a little too short to see it. The Metalcloak stubby is simple and functional, but their optional stinger is kind of nuts without looking all that beefy - counter point, I’ve seen the winch guard bar take a beating like a champ.

What stinger bumpers are people running that are visible from the driver’s seat? Photos (from the cab) are a HUGE help!

Added gold star if this is a *new to JL* bumper and not a modified JK bumper.

Qualifiers: I want to keep my plastic bumper LED fog lights. I do not want a full width bumper, as I’m planning ahead for the eventual 37”+ tires. I NEED to be able to see the top of the stinger without getting out of the Jeep. No skimpy, skinny tubes out there by their lonesome (LOD Signature cough cough - I do love my LOD sliders though!). I want some gussets for support. Winch recessed is a bonus but not absolutely required.
Sponsored

wrangler-rob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I have done lots of searching and Google-ing and can’t seem to find what I’m looking for. So gold star for anyone that can quickly point me at an answer.

Unlike the lucky ones, I do not have a driveway or even a designated parking spot. My JL lives on the street and spends its days scrapping with soccer moms for parallel street parking when I’m not out exploring the Pacific Northwest - as in, this thing is going to be tapped and bumped on the regular.

So what I’m looking for is a stubby (possibly mid width) bumper with a stinger/winch guard. I like the stinger look but I need to be able to see it from the driver’s seat, for parking reasons.

My primary concern is that I’ll have to just KNOW where the tip of the bumper is and not be able to see it while parallel parking.

I love the look of the Artec Nighthawk, but I’m concerned that it’s a little too short to see it. The Metalcloak stubby is simple and functional, but their optional stinger is kind of nuts without looking all that beefy - counter point, I’ve seen the winch guard bar take a beating like a champ.

What stinger bumpers are people running that are visible from the driver’s seat? Photos (from the cab) are a HUGE help!

Qualifiers: I want to keep my plastic bumper LED fog lights. I do not want a full width bumper, as I’m planning ahead for the eventual 37”+ tires. I NEED to be able to see the top of the stinger without getting out of the Jeep. No skimpy, skinny tubes out there by their lonesome (LOD Signature cough cough - I do love my LOD sliders though!). I want some gussets for support. Winch recessed is a bonus but not absolutely required.

Slightly Off Topic but worth consideration... IF it is visibility you seek check out the following thread:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/off-road-camera-front-facing-writeup.13714/

Why not consider a TazerJL and install a front facing camera? You'll spot a few examples (mine included) which will give great insight to the views you'll get. My camera is the "most" front installed component and slightly edges out my pre-runner bar by a few hairs and indicates exactly how close I can get from "that point's view". Just a thought, for purposes of my install I just have the steel bumper option with WARN installed and a JCR pre-runner bar atop it. I can not spot the top end of the pre-runner bar without straining to look over the hood. (a stinger would be more obvious in this regard) The camera in the front however makes it so that looking over the hood is unnecessary.

BONUS: with the TazerJL you'll be able to "tweak" a bit more AND my ESS has been disabled automatically at start for months.

Good Luck! Again not a bumper idea but alternative solution idea to meet the problem statement.

tonythehomie

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Sport S (manual / 2 door / firecracker red)

Hey there. I have the artec nighthawk bumper with stinger on my jeep and its great. Fairly easy install as well.

Stinger has never been an issue for me, I just took it down to Philly and was parallel parking for a few days with absolutely 0 issues. It is a little worryisome at first but you get used to it quickly. Plus, it provides a little extra protection should someone back up a bit too far

OP
OP
APiratesLife4Me

APiratesLife4Me

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Clubs

Hey there. I have the artec nighthawk bumper with stinger on my jeep and its great. Fairly easy install as well.

Stinger has never been an issue for me, I just took it down to Philly and was parallel parking for a few days with absolutely 0 issues. It is a little worryisome at first but you get used to it quickly. Plus, it provides a little extra protection should someone back up a bit too far
That’s kind of what i was thinking too. Quick to get used to it.

And the darker side of my personality would really love seeing the stinger-height dents start showing up in the back of other cars in my neighborhood from everyone else parking by feel.

Anyway, thanks Tony and Rob for the insights. The Tazer is definitely on my short list, and the front camera is a pretty great idea if I can’t find what I’m looking for in a bumper.

If anyone else has an in-cab photo of your stinger I would love to see it!

Keep on Jeeping on.
Sponsored