Sponsored

Mike921921

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep
You’ll be able to use the USB port on your dash for the updates, you won’t need to remove anything 😉 and yes, the CH module would be the only one.
I believe he's refering to the individual modules. Per PAC, ' Please note you must perform the update on a Windows PC using Internet Explorer.' https://pac-audio.com/firmware-updates/
Sponsored

TylerV76

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Got this installed yesterday by a shop Ive used for over 20 years. Everything went great except the camera module was bad. They updated all of the modules and software in attempt to get the camera module working but it was a no go. Got a new module coming Monday to finish the install. For now, if I use reverse I have to reset the system 90% of the time due to the no signal error.

However, the upgrade is such a massive improvement. Not just in size but in functionality. My sd card was delayed so I dont have built in nav yet and we tried to skip the external microphone and use the head unit mic. That was a mistake so we'll be installing the external microphone Monday. They were able to fit an hdmi cable back there and route it to my glove box. My center USB finally works properly also.

The only things I would nitpick, besides the bad module, would be the white maps in carplay are a bit whitewashed, as others have stated. Not awful but could be improved upon. Still completely functional. Beyond that, Id love to have access to the quick tabs while in carplay. I loved having quick access to my backup camera when Im towing the trailer etc. Now its a few clicks too many while driving.

Overall, so far Im very happy and very glad I didnt go with the Alpine.

Jeep Wrangler JL Stinger Heigh10 10" HeadUnit Upgrade in 2018 JL IMG_0601

Last edited:

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
Got this installed yesterday by a shop Ive used for over 20 years. Everything went great except the camera module was bad. They updated all of the modules and software in attempt to get the camera module working but it was a no go. Got a new module coming Monday to finish the install. For now, if I use reverse I have to reset the system 90% of the time due to the no signal error.

However, the upgrade is such a massive improvement. Not just in size but in functionality. My sd card was delayed so I dont have built in nav yet and we tried to skip the external microphone and use the head unit mic. That was a mistake so we'll be installing the external microphone Monday. They were able to fit an hdmi cable back there and route it to my glove box which. My center USB finally works properly also.

The only things I would nitpick, besides the bad module, would be the white maps in carplay are a bit whitewashed, as others have stated. Not awful but could be improved upon. Still completely functional. Beyond that, Id love to have access to the quick tabs while in carplay. I loved having quick access to my backup camera when Im towing the trailer etc. Now its a few clicks too many while driving.

Jeep Wrangler JL Stinger Heigh10 10" HeadUnit Upgrade in 2018 JL IMG_0601
What is it you don’t like about the Alpine unit? Just curious. I have the 8.4 from the factory. It was replaced once. So far with OTA updates it works ok just a few quirks that seem to have worked out.

TylerV76

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
What is it you don’t like about the Alpine unit? Just curious. I have the 8.4 from the factory. It was replaced once. So far with OTA updates it works ok just a few quirks that seem to have worked out.
Well currently its discontinued. You can still get it but a new one is coming at some point, possibly soon. Mainly though, the price. To pay $1,500 more for water resistance just didnt seem necessary. Now that I have the Stinger, I'm positive it wasnt.

TylerV76

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Everything got installed today ut Im having an issue on the HDMI input. Anyone know how to get past the warning? Im in park clearly. I have sound but no picture.

Jeep Wrangler JL Stinger Heigh10 10" HeadUnit Upgrade in 2018 JL IMG_0618

Sponsored

Ct_Formula

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JL, 2011 JK Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Self Employed
Everything got installed today ut Im having an issue on the HDMI input. Anyone know how to get past the warning? Im in park clearly. I have sound but no picture.

Gotta be a way around that,

TylerV76

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Well apparently you have to pull the parking brake as well for video to show.

And of course its mentioned in this thread and I completely missed it.

Last edited:

Ct_Formula

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JL, 2011 JK Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Self Employed
Well apparently you have to pull the parking brake as well for video to show.
Seems like a couple of wires jumped out some where would cure that.

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
Well currently its discontinued. You can still get it but a new one is coming at some point, possibly soon. Mainly though, the price. To pay $1,500 more for water resistance just didnt seem necessary. Now that I have the Stinger, I'm positive it wasnt.
Did not know it was discontinued. I haven’t Seen any unit fielded that did not have problems especially the uconnect. Seems the audio industry rushes to get a product on the market with very little R/D. All the aftermarket units have problems and shouldn’t be that way. Not much of a choice out there. 😎

TylerV76

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Did not know it was discontinued. I haven’t Seen any unit fielded that did not have problems especially the uconnect. Seems the audio industry rushes to get a product on the market with very little R/D. All the aftermarket units have problems and shouldn’t be that way. Not much of a choice out there. 😎
It used to be really easy to replace a head unit but now there's so much tied to it, its pretty much a nightmare. I will say though, I am very happy with the Stinger. If it stays running how it is now, I'll be putting one in my daughters JK.

Sponsored

Herson

First Name
Herson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler unlimited rubicon

However, the upgrade is such a massive improvement. Not just in size but in functionality. My sd card was delayed so I dont have built in nav yet and we tried to skip the external microphone and use the head unit mic. That was a mistake so we'll be installing the external microphone Monday. They were able to fit an hdmi cable back there and route it to my glove box. My center USB finally works properly also.

Did you installed the external mic? I was reading the instructions and apparently you can use the factory mic. I wonder what are the benefits of the external mic vs the factory one. I would preffer to just use the factory one.

TylerV76

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Did you installed the external mic? I was reading the instructions and apparently you can use the factory mic. I wonder what are the benefits of the external mic vs the factory one. I would preffer to just use the factory one.
I did end up putting in the external. The internal is fine until about 30mph and then you cant be heard at all. The external is a bit better. Not as good as the factory mic but usable.

Herson

First Name
Herson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler unlimited rubicon
I did end up putting in the external. The internal is fine until about 30mph and then you cant be heard at all. The external is a bit better. Not as good as the factory mic but usable.
How is your volume with phone calls. I have to raise the volume all the way up to 40 in order to hear.

TylerV76

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
How is your volume with phone calls. I have to raise the volume all the way up to 40 in order to hear.
Depends on what the other person is using really. If they are also on CarPlay or bluetooth in the car I turn it up to about 30 or so. If they are on a phone, I typically am around 20. All my modules are updated and Im on the latest firmware for the radio.

TylerV76

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Coming back to this after a month of use. The call quality on this unit is not great and like you, I have my call volume at 40 now. At first it seemed fine but its definitely not. Also, I have to have my mic gain set to high or people cant hear me. By doing so, I also get a ton of wind noise now.

I may move the mic again and see if it helps. Right now its on my steering column. Ive tried adjusting the volume controls in the settings and nothing helps.

I dont understand how the stock system call volume can be so much better than the Stinger but it definitely is. Im debating getting the new Alpine unit when it releases unfortunately.
Sponsored