Sponsored

Anu2g

First Name
Anu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Manual Magnuson JLR, '16 Manual Cayman GT4
@Jimmyz275 @Mike921921 I just installed my Heigh10 yesterday, and it looks incredible, but I am having some issues. Mine isn't powering on consistently; I suspect I may have pinched a wire while putting the head unit into the dashboard (wow that was a tight fit). I'm going to try to fix that after work today or tomorrow.

Few questions for you:

1) Does the unit power on for you automatically when you when have the battery on (I.e. pushing the Jeep's start/stop button once but not actually starting the vehicle)? Do you ever need to press the power button?

2) Did you get any lag with the OEM volume knob? When I did have the unit powered on, when I twisted the OEM volume knob it lagged 10-15 seconds, and then occasionally it went in the wrong direction.

I assume you guys don't have these issues, and I need to debug my install. Your answers may help my debugging process though. Thanks in advance!

Mike921921

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep
@Jimmyz275 @Mike921921 I just installed my Heigh10 yesterday, and it looks incredible, but I am having some issues. Mine isn't powering on consistently; I suspect I may have pinched a wire while putting the head unit into the dashboard (wow that was a tight fit). I'm going to try to fix that after work today or tomorrow.

Few questions for you:

1) Does the unit power on for you automatically when you when have the battery on (I.e. pushing the Jeep's start/stop button once but not actually starting the vehicle)? Do you ever need to press the power button?

2) Did you get any lag with the OEM volume knob? When I did have the unit powered on, when I twisted the OEM volume knob it lagged 10-15 seconds, and then occasionally it went in the wrong direction.

I assume you guys don't have these issues, and I need to debug my install. Your answers may help my debugging process though. Thanks in advance!
Hey man, sorry to hear you're having problems.
1) Yes, powers up automatically from one push (ACC) or engine start
2) No lag from OEM knob or SW controls
Maybe a CANBUS problem?

Anu2g

First Name
Anu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey, no problem; comes with the territory.

Re: CANBUS, sounds like it. How would I go about debugging that?

Thanks again. Also, glad to hear there isn't supposed to be any lag. I had that backkk in the day on another one of my vehicles, and it basically rendered the steering wheel controls useless.

Anu2g

First Name
Anu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Doesn't seem like a wiring issue; I believe the CANBUS isn't telling the head unit to turn on. But it does sometimes; I just can't figure out the problem. I was able to update the Stinger's firmware when it most recently turned on, but that didn't fix the power issue. Maybe I need to update the PAC modules.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jimmyz275

Jimmyz275

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited JL
Vehicle Showcase

Few questions for you:

I would check for a pinched wire and I agree with Mike on his responses to your questions.
1. Yes mine powers up with start/stop button
2. No lag on volume dial

OP
OP
Jimmyz275

Jimmyz275

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
look at the videos they posted on youtube. it shows 3 camera options
Roger that. Their is an option for other cameras just wasn’t going to get crazy installing cameras everywhere and I don’t have a factory front camera on my jeep just the back up.

Anu2g

First Name
Anu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would check for a pinched wire and I agree with Mike on his responses to your questions.
1. Yes mine powers up with start/stop button
2. No lag on volume dial
Thanks; I pulled the head unit out, and there aren't any pinched wires or anything. It wouldn't be the power itself because when it does turn on it stays on; if anything, it would be ignition/remote turn-on.

I spoke with Stinger's tech support, and they said that there is no ignition/turn-on wire; that's controlled from the CANBUS. So it would appear that something is wrong with the CANBUS connection. But the odd thing is that, when I do get it to power on, the Vehicle Info tab in the Stinger unit shows all the information, implying that the CANBUS is working fine.

Any other thoughts here? One interesting thing to note is that I did disconnect the battery while doing the installed, because I also swapped out my dash trim panels (which required swapping the passenger airbag). I wonder if disconnecting the battery messed something up with the CANBUS.

Worst case, it could make sense for me to remove the Stinger unit, put the factory unit back in, and make sure it powers on properly.

Anu2g

First Name
Anu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Of note, when I pull the screen off, the PAC Link module has its LED on, so it doesn't seem like power is the problem.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jimmyz275

Jimmyz275

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks; I pulled the head unit out, and there aren't any pinched wires or anything. It wouldn't be the power itself because when it does turn on it stays on; if anything, it would be ignition/remote turn-on.

I spoke with Stinger's tech support, and they said that there is no ignition/turn-on wire; that's controlled from the CANBUS. So it would appear that something is wrong with the CANBUS connection. But the odd thing is that, when I do get it to power on, the Vehicle Info tab in the Stinger unit shows all the information, implying that the CANBUS is working fine.

Any other thoughts here? One interesting thing to note is that I did disconnect the battery while doing the installed, because I also swapped out my dash trim panels (which required swapping the passenger airbag). I wonder if disconnecting the battery messed something up with the CANBUS.

Worst case, it could make sense for me to remove the Stinger unit, put the factory unit back in, and make sure it powers on properly.
I don’t believe disconnecting the battery before installing the unit would cause an issue. You could pull the stinger unit since your pulling it all out again and throw your stock unit back in to see. I’d suggest maybe back tracking your work and just double checking that you have all the wires installed correctly. They have a great video online that shows the step by step basically if you haven’t seen it already.

I don’t think disconnecting the battery would cause anything. I’d maybe backtrack your work and make sure all wires are installed correctly.

Anu2g

First Name
Anu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cool; yea I used that video to do the install, and also went through the written instructions as well, just to make sure. According to their tech support, if the Vehicle Info shows, then the CANBUS connection is good; otherwise I wouldn't get any vehicle info (it's not something could partially work). I'm starting to think I have a defective module somewhere in the process. Though, in my experience, whenever I have a ghost theory...it never ends up being true, and it's always something simple in the end.

Anu2g

First Name
Anu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I did pull it out an hour ago and didn't find anything interesting, other than that the visible PAC Link appears to be powering on just fine.

OP
OP
Jimmyz275

Jimmyz275

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Of note, when I pull the screen off, the PAC Link module has its LED on, so it doesn't seem like power is the problem.
I’d try the firmware updates and see if that helps otherwise it is out of my wheelhouse 😂💯👍👊 good luck buddy!

Anu2g

First Name
Anu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks. I got all the firmware updated, still no dice. Also verified all the lights. I'm in communication with Stinger; starting to think maybe the '21 CANBUS is s ending different signals than pre-'21s. But that's also a ghost theory. Hopefully will resolve soon.
Sponsored