Sponsored

Vandy23

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JlU Sahara
Some updates on my install. Got the SiriusXM up and running and updated software successfully. Overall great upgrade from stock. Still can’t figure out why GPS /nav card not working. Have to double check and see if I didn’t pinch the antenna wire during install. One addition issue I am experiencing is when using the Stinger internal amp...seem to be getting significant intermittent popping from front speakers as well as reduced volume output. When I switched back to stock Jeep amp problems went away. Not sure what is going on? It’s unfortunate because the time alignment function is then not available.
Sponsored

CraigEdWood

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys JL Firecracker Red
Occupation
Program Director, Brevard Senior Nutrition | Aging Matters in Brevard
I wish I could help. Didn’t have sound issues but I read somewhere in posts about sound popping and it was one reason I paid the $200 for an installer. You may want to search. May not have been in this thread but relates head unit replacements.

donlmahoney

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Just had this Stinger Heigh10 put in 3 weeks ago in my JL and is one of the best upgrades I have done so far. Very impressive head unit in my personal opinion.

Credit for product and installation:
https://stingerelectronics.com/
http://www.momusiccaraudio.com/

A couple notes:

1. Make sure to keep up on firmware upgrades (easy to do through stinger walk through videos and instructions)
2. Make sure USB cables are installed correctly as they are specific.

Other than that just wish I had more availability to install more than three personal wallpapers.

800F3D29-CC9C-47EF-88A4-1BBCCB1EBFE4.jpeg

EFAE529B-7BE6-4E09-985D-04BCE517DB44.jpeg

5B71435E-1B81-4ECB-A296-DA01B0745DE9.jpeg

A4EC54B2-1B6A-41FA-B8F9-91E5CF0BC4F0.jpeg

8F366646-8487-469B-8174-AE53913C350E.jpeg

B8671E5E-F1A3-4B5B-92F2-A902623AA1F7.jpeg

124DC34D-8AEF-4A47-86CE-AAE77A16010E.jpeg

D59EFAAD-AD05-4319-A694-EE9604705012.jpeg

3D610831-B4F5-45AA-8E63-DAB100A2ECD2.jpeg
While the Stinger 10 is a great unit I’ve had nothing but trouble. The unit was installed by a Stinger dealer and one of the best in San Diego. The unit has a number of problems frankly too many to list in this forum. I’m on my second install kit and now second head unit and still problems. Due to the cost of this unit, if anyone is considering purchasing this now, I’d hold off until the bugs are truly worked out

OP
OP
Jimmyz275

Jimmyz275

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited JL
Vehicle Showcase
While the Stinger 10 is a great unit I’ve had nothing but trouble. The unit was installed by a Stinger dealer and one of the best in San Diego. The unit has a number of problems frankly too many to list in this forum. I’m on my second install kit and now second head unit and still problems. Due to the cost of this unit, if anyone is considering purchasing this now, I’d hold off until the bugs are truly worked out
Sorry your having issues. I can honestly say after the firmware update and swap of the USB ports I have t had any issues with mine and I had mine installed by Mo Music out of Sparks Nevada and it has worked great with exception of occasional orange screen that comes on in reverse. Best of luck man. 👍

Scarabmike

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I wish the unit had a contrast control. Seems everything is white washed out. The OEM unit’s contrast is way better to show the rich blacks and deep colors. I was expecting a better looking screen especially in the apple car play screens.

Sponsored

Mike - Stinger Off-Road

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
stingeroffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2006 LJ Rubicon, 2020 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Automotive Electronics
Some updates on my install. Got the SiriusXM up and running and updated software successfully. Overall great upgrade from stock. Still can’t figure out why GPS /nav card not working. Have to double check and see if I didn’t pinch the antenna wire during install. One addition issue I am experiencing is when using the Stinger internal amp...seem to be getting significant intermittent popping from front speakers as well as reduced volume output. When I switched back to stock Jeep amp problems went away. Not sure what is going on? It’s unfortunate because the time alignment function is then not available.
Shoot me a message and we will can get this worked out!

Scarabmike

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Here is what I’m talking about. The picture on the screen is too bright (the white light is over powering) It needs to be adjusted but all the brightness adjustment does is make the whole screen brighter or dimmer. You can barely see the streets on the map, and the album art is washed out.
Jeep Wrangler JL Stinger Heigh10 10" HeadUnit Upgrade in 2018 JL image

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
Here is what I’m talking about. The picture on the screen is too bright (the white light is over powering) It needs to be adjusted but all the brightness adjustment does is make the whole screen brighter or dimmer. You can barely see the streets on the map, and the album art is washed out.
Jeep Wrangler JL Stinger Heigh10 10" HeadUnit Upgrade in 2018 JL image
I solved by using dark mode

CraigEdWood

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys JL Firecracker Red
Occupation
Program Director, Brevard Senior Nutrition | Aging Matters in Brevard
I must say that I was underwhelmed at the contrast and re-read the packaging to verify the color count and confirm that it was HD. But it’s definitely not bad enough that it’s a concern, just not as vibrant as I would expect from a high res HD unit. But with that it still gets 4 stars from me so far. I have yet to take my top off yet and see how it looks on the bright Florida sun—hence my contrast concern. 👍

Sponsored

Scarabmike

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Just got off the phone with stinger. Here is what they told me.

1. it’s a known issue with apple car play. But the unit itself has no adjustments.
2. Carplay is causing the images to look "expanded" because of the large screen.
3. There may be a patch to fix the black level or contrast if more people let them know they want it.

I searched the apple forums, and there were people complaining about the Heigh10 and how it looks on it. Several people chimed in as well with other head units like Desaita, Pioneer, and Alpine.

It seems Kenwood has the best reproduction of the Carplay overlay. Im going to try Android Auto later today.

LadyHawk

First Name
Heather
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
*UPDATE* - After working with customer service and the tech Dept - it runs great now for the most part - looks like everything has been sorted out. Firmware/software updated. We have speakers that work, the subwoofer is good, everything seems to be working fine. We only have one small glitch and that’s when using Apple CarPlay: I can’t switch between music and other screens. As soon as I bring up the music screen, it shuts off the music and boots back to the main menu. BUT - That could be due to me running beta on my iPhone. **

Finally - others with similar issues... I have a 2018 JLU Sport S with the upgraded Alpine sound system with subwoofer.

We have a similar issue and are not getting anywhere...about a week ago I purchased and installed the Stinger Heigh10 because we had nothing but issues with the 5" basic headunit. However, we now have a bigger issue:

We were finally able to update the firmware, however:

1) No sound through the speakers after the first 5 minutes of trying to test the unit, then only sound on the passenger side that uses none of the amp or subwoofer. It started ok, then became crackly and went out at low and higher volumes, and it seems like as soon as I tried to "turn on" the subwoofer with the "factory subwoofer" button, that's when issues happened.

We have a call into Stinger's customer service, but other than this possibly being a firmware issue - Could this be an amp or subwoofer interference/non-compatibility issue as well? This is the second stereo system we've tried, as the Insane Audio would not work with the factory installed upgraded Alpine sound system and we had to return that one and go back to the twitchy basic factory headunit..

History: ever since we've owned the Jeep (bought new) we've had issues with the front media USB port in the dash reading any devices properly - after a few moments it would shut down the stereo and reset it. Every time, no matter what device was plugged in there and no matter what cord we used. Service dept always said "they could not replicate the issue", even when my service advisor had it happen to him when he tried it.

I'm at a loss. Thoughts?

I'm close to just taking into a stereo shop and paying to have them figure this out...

Last edited:

Vandy23

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JlU Sahara
Make sure you are using the stock amp setting not the integrated Heigh10 amp. I had all sorts of issues when trying to bypass the stock Alpine.

Scarabmike

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Im probably going to be selling my Heigh10, or trading for an 8.4 screen soon. If anyone in NE FL has an 8.4 and wants to trade, let me know.

To me this unit seems to lose some key features that I loved about the Uconnect, and I just dont really care about the audiofile stuff.

mattb

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW passat
Question regarding functionality...
I'll buying a JL here in the near future and I am trying to decide if I should pay extra for the Uconnect 4 or stick with the 5". After installing the Heigh10, do I gain functionality, or do I just maintain the funtionality of whats currently installed. Or, does it not matter whats installed because the info comes from communicating with the CPU. Thanks!
Sponsored

Last edited: