First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys JL Firecracker Red
Occupation
Program Director, Brevard Senior Nutrition | Aging Matters in Brevard
Another excellent point. I believe the SD port is used exclusively the Stinger add-on NAV system only so I was not concerned about it as I use Apple CarPlay and Google Maps. As with other dedicated NAV systems like Garmin and Tom Tom, etc., you can have your phone download Google Maps geo data in advance over WiFi and store them so you are not as dependent on cell signal or data. Great for folks with strict or very low data plans or live on areas with low cell coverage. I live by Kennedy Space Center and when Iā€™m driving by the launch range and the Canaveral National Seashore there are huge dead zones so I have my area downloaded for when Iā€™m there on trails through the wetlands. My issue with the Stinger NAV is it appears to run that dedicated stand-alone app in full focus, commanding my full screen, where as Apple CarPlay or Android Auto , the maps and NAV are beautifully integrated in the screen with your other apps like phone, Pandora, Audible, etc. Full focus means your hard button clicking into and out of their sandbox to get to the running Stinger NAV application in the background as opposed to swiping the screen to switch apps as you would a tablet or smart phone. Itā€™s all about preference, but another terrific tip!
Sponsored

CraigEdWood

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys JL Firecracker Red
Occupation
Program Director, Brevard Senior Nutrition | Aging Matters in Brevard
Feature Update! I just found a nice surprise drilling though the advanced menus in the Stinger H10. You have the option to remember your Electric Stop Start (ESS) preference! Prior to the Stinger I was relying on my Tazer to manager that feature. Awesome! šŸ˜

MartinIT

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jaguar F-Pace S
Great to know about the easier/better usability of nav in AA/ACP. I most likely will go that route while I initially though - why hookup the phone if all is in the Stinger. Google maps definitely have better routing and use live traffic. I only wish they started consistently display speed limit in the app (Europe location). Thx again for the tips

Mike - Stinger Off-Road

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
stingeroffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2006 LJ Rubicon, 2020 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Automotive Electronics
Feature Update! I just found a nice surprise drilling though the advanced menus in the Stinger H10. You have the option to remember your Electric Stop Start (ESS) preference! Prior to the Stinger I was relying on my Tazer to manager that feature. Awesome! šŸ˜
Thank you for the thorough review Craig! If you have any problems, feel free to message me here or give us a call!

tankers

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU Sahara, 2021 JLU Sport Altitude
Good news for you Heigh10 owners! I bought a cheaper wireless CarPlay adapter ($84) and have been trying it out for several days. Easy to set up, automatically reconnects after the heigh10 boots up, all CarPlay functions work (google maps, messaging, phone, apple maps, podcasts, music, etc.) No faults (though only 2 days experience) Here is the link https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08P1FVJJ3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
That wireless CarPlay dongle was out of stock on Amazon when I went to roll the dice on it. Bought the below instead and have been VERY happy with it for the past 3 weeks:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08GLVW169/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Seems to have a perpetual $25 "coupon" which brings the price down to ~$105+tax.

Thought I'd share!

Sponsored

Vandy23

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JlU Sahara
Anyone update the nav Micro SD cart yet?

Vandy23

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JlU Sahara
Just installed the unit yesterday. Went pretty smooth. Not finished setting up yet. A few questions...anyone have trouble updating? I have tried twice and itā€™s still showing older firmware. During the reset stage of the update do you continuously hold down the reset button or just push in and out?

I need to update the PAC as well. Do you have to remove the screen and plug directly into the PAC using a micro/usb cable?

Not sure if this is related to the update issue, but Iā€™m getting no sat signal for the integrated navigation or SiriusX? Anyone experienced those issues?

Vandy23

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JlU Sahara
For anyone who installed the Sirius SXV 300 tuner with the Heigh10 did you use existing connections that plugged into the unconnect or did you use the antenna included with the SXV?

ashmore1999

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Sport
ive had mine in for about 2 months now and love it. a couple of features that would be nice would be:

1) the ability to have just the background wallpaper showing on the screen with no buttons. I run a custom background and it would be nice if i had the option to just have it showing with no buttons covering it.

2) some custom warning limits for the gauges screen that could highlight a gauge or flash it when that reading got too high or low based on a range you setup. like if oil pressure dropped below X psi or a heat range exceeded X degrees

Blue 179

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys sport wrangler 2 door
ive had mine in for about 2 months now and love it. a couple of features that would be nice would be:

1) the ability to have just the background wallpaper showing on the screen with no buttons. I run a custom background and it would be nice if i had the option to just have it showing with no buttons covering it.

2) some custom warning limits for the gauges screen that could highlight a gauge or flash it when that reading got too high or low based on a range you setup. like if oil pressure dropped below X psi or a heat range exceeded X degrees
I agree with the background. Whatā€™s the point in having the ability to install one if the buttons will cover most of it.

Sponsored

Bluebeast

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU sport
For those of yall that have put this head unit in. Are the offline GPS maps worth the extra expense?

ashmore1999

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Sport
i did not go with the maps on the headunit for GPS. For the price i just use Waze for my GPS through carplay and it works great. Now im not typically using GPS in an area that I dont have cellular service so if i did regularly that might have swayed me into spending the extra.

Bluebeast

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU sport
I'm assuming I could always add the maps on later if I wanted, at least from what I gathered while reading about it.

wired

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Red with soft top
you can add the maps later, it is just a micro SD card. Of course it takes a little effort to get to the slot.... But like most, I prefer current up-to-date maps using google or waze that incorporate traffic and road conditions. If off roading where there is no cell, I would use freshly downloaded maps on Gaia or one of the other trail maps, or google. They work great without a cell signal. If you know how to read a map, there is now no need for the static maps.

Bluebeast

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU sport
I was wondering how up to date the maps are. I pretty much use water and for offroad I have a garmin inreach. So with the input from today I think I'll pass on the maps for a while. Now to finally decide between the Heigh10 vs insane audio. 94.3% sure it's going to be Heigh10.
Sponsored