Gisele
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Where can I find sting grey fenders?
Sponsored

Deleted member 59498

Are they a different material Mwilk? I mean the painted fenders? I doubt the default black could get that really smooth paint look? I am no mechanic or painter but the painted ones look as good as painted metal compared to the rough feel of the standard black ones. Just curious.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Are they a different material Mwilk? I mean the painted fenders? I doubt the default black could get that really smooth paint look? I am no mechanic or painter but the painted ones look as good as painted metal compared to the rough feel of the standard black ones. Just curious.
I've heard that they all start as the same molded piece before some go to paint and others go through the texture process.

Deleted member 59498

Ah ok, what I was thinking. Sounds like getting a shop to paint and match might be expensive.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I've heard that they all start as the same molded piece before some go to paint and others go through the texture process.
I don't believe they all come from the same molds. The bare black plastic fenders are textured. I believe that texture is in the surface of the mold. I'm sure they do not mold the painted fenders with a textured surface.

I don't know if they are the same material. Not sure how well you could get paint to stick the black ones. But that surface has to be sanded smooth or filled. No easy task.

Best bet is to find some painted take-offs of any color and have them painted your color or just buy new primed fenders.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I don't believe they all come from the same molds. The bare black plastic fenders are textured. I believe that texture is in the surface of the mold. I'm sure they do not mold the painted fenders with a textured surface.

I don't know if they are the same material. Not sure how well you could get paint to stick the black ones. But that surface has to be sanded smooth or filled. No easy task.

Best bet is to find some painted take-offs of any color and have them painted your color or just buy new primed fenders.
It's only what I've heard. That the texture is applied after the molding process. I know that molds are very expensive in other industries, that do whatever they can to minimize how many they need in manufacturing. That's what lead me to believing what I've heard about paint or texture happening after the fact. Again, no solid knowledge specific to these fenders.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I'm just going by what passing tidbits I've picked up on injection molding over the years. I didn't actually work in that particular field, but was around it a lot. High production molds are usually made my machining huge blocks of aluminum and have water cooling paths. The surfaces are first polished and then treated by all kinds of methods to texture them.
Sponsored