Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
So for others that have had your Jeeps delivered, am i the only one that seems to have a lot more excuses to go in the garage than before?
Sponsored

JLU_rubi18!

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep SRT Red Vapor, 2015 Jeep GC High Altitude Hemi 4x4
I acquired free rubicon JL hardtop suspension today. I’ll post a picture later of the before and after for any other sport people. I’m gonna lift her but prolly not till the end of summer. Getting black rhino warlord wheels at the end of the month though!

BED66E01-92DC-4926-93E5-18A2A453839F.png
That backspacing is horrible for a JL.

grayfoxx

First Name
Coralee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 TJ and Wrangler JL
Occupation
Forestry
That backspacing is horrible for a JL.
What would be a good amount of backspacing?? I’m not too familiar with back spacing yet. I had to add spacers on my TJ to fit the tires.

JLU_rubi18!

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep SRT Red Vapor, 2015 Jeep GC High Altitude Hemi 4x4
What would be a good amount of backspacing?? I’m not too familiar with back spacing yet. I had to add spacers on my TJ to fit the tires.
Yeah sorry I should have offered a solution.

On a 9” wide wheel you want -12 to -6. You could even get away with 0. On a 8.5” wide wheel you want -6 to 0. If you look up a wheel backspacing chart and find the wheel width, on a JK you had to be at least at 3.5-4.5” backspacing. On a JL you can do like 4.5-4.75” backspacing.

I would look a KMC wheels and well as Method. You don’t have to get a beadlock becuse those are very expensice although they do offer the best backspacing. I would try and stay in the 4.5-4.75 range. By contrast the ones you are looking at are +30 . 17s are best IMO as it gives you the beat ride with more sidewall for your tire. Plus the tires are typically cheaper than 18 or 20s.

rtcjr

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 JKU Sahara (Mango Tango)
Does anyone have pics of the heritage tan interior and/or body color HT w/ SG?

I ordered mine last week. Have read virtually every post in this forum, but have not come across that combo yet.

Coming out of a 2011 Mango Tango JK Sahara - very similar to a post a few pages back...just need something a but more inconspicuous.......

Sponsored

Torenhall

First Name
Toren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubicon JKU HR
I acquired free rubicon JL hardtop suspension today. I’ll post a picture later of the before and after for any other sport people. I’m gonna lift her but prolly not till the end of summer. Getting black rhino warlord wheels at the end of the month though!

BED66E01-92DC-4926-93E5-18A2A453839F.png
Those are sweet looking wheels for SG

HRDRCK

First Name
Tashsa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 rubicon hard rock
Occupation
Dental professional
Just noticed the OWL :swear:

I see that on my build sheet, however I did not order this intentionally :angry:
Check the inside of the tires, most of the time the inside does not have the white, and you can just have the tires flipped around on the wheels.

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
BA509F42-3EC1-4C28-98AA-A5E63FF068BF.jpeg
These are the Black Rhinos on my truck. Not sure of backspacing, but I’ve got fender flares so they don’t stick out

Afaccini

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Yeah sorry I should have offered a solution.

On a 9” wide wheel you want -12 to -6. You could even get away with 0. On a 8.5” wide wheel you want -6 to 0. If you look up a wheel backspacing chart and find the wheel width, on a JK you had to be at least at 3.5-4.5” backspacing. On a JL you can do like 4.5-4.75” backspacing.

I would look a KMC wheels and well as Method. You don’t have to get a beadlock becuse those are very expensice although they do offer the best backspacing. I would try and stay in the 4.5-4.75 range. By contrast the ones you are looking at are +30 . 17s are best IMO as it gives you the beat ride with more sidewall for your tire. Plus the tires are typically cheaper than 18 or 20s.
I love the methods! I had the Method standards (matte black) for my old wrangler and I’m going to get them again for my JL.

63D5A5D8-79AD-47F1-BF40-605305318D62.png

Four Flusher

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting Gray, auto
How about painting or powder coating your sport wheels black, factory wheels are always superior, only downside is the 7.5" width

If you plan on wheeling your rig, I'd definitely consider a rim with a replaceable ring, my Method double standard's on my LJ look like shit.

Sponsored

wimbo63

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Nissan Armada
Sting-Gray and Anvil, had to park in front of this JK and snap a pic
Sting -gray VS Anvil.jpg
I haven't been able to see an actual Sting Gray here in North Florida but love the pics and am having a hard time deciding between SG and Granite. This picture is super helpful because Anvil is one of my favorite colors. It looks like SG is lighter and maybe creamier than Anvil with less blue. Can someone who has seen both comment on whether that is true? Thanks!

ring_zero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting-Gray JLUR
I haven't been able to see an actual Sting Gray here in North Florida but love the pics and am having a hard time deciding between SG and Granite. This picture is super helpful because Anvil is one of my favorite colors. It looks like SG is lighter and maybe creamier than Anvil with less blue. Can someone who has seen both comment on whether that is true? Thanks!
I have seen both. Tough to describe either color because they both look "different" depending on the light you are looking at them in. I was a big fan of the anvil. I am a even bigger fan of the sting-gray.

Gray Color Swatch.jpg

Last edited:

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
It is tough because for some reason I look at pictures (even if I take them) and they never quite seem to capture Sting-Gray the way I see it in person.

It doesn't have that blue hue at all that Anvil has though. I do feel like it has a subtle green hint to it but it definitely doesn't have as much color as anvil. I don't think it looks as flat as anvil for some reason though it has no metallic to it at all.

I do think that someone who is a fan of the flatter colors like Anvil and Rhino will like Sting-Gray.
Sponsored