Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
IT Professional
Vehicle Showcase
Forgive my ignorance, but I’m new to Wranglers and even newer to mods... Besides looking awesome, what are the pros & cons of getting bigger tires and a lift? It seems like it would make your JL even more trail capable, but my understanding is that it might decrease drivability on highways, and stability in tight curves / strong winds? I don’t have my JL yet but I’m already curious about 35s... ;)
Your stock Jeep will always handle better with the stock setup opposed to a lift and bigger tires, IMHO. The only reason to go that route is if you plan to go off-road. Then again, some folks do it for purely aesthetic reasons.
Sponsored

km58501

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Forgive my ignorance, but I’m new to Wranglers and even newer to mods... Besides looking awesome, what are the pros & cons of getting bigger tires and a lift? It seems like it would make your JL even more trail capable, but my understanding is that it might decrease drivability on highways, and stability in tight curves / strong winds? I don’t have my JL yet but I’m already curious about 35s... ;)
I had 35s on my 2013 JK and the biggest negative for me was in deeper snow. They tend to perform worse because of the added width. I don't really notice any highway drivability issues other than passing power, but I think the JL transmission and 4:10 gears will take care of that. Some people even say that the Jeep feels more "planted" with bigger tires. For me the positives outweighed the negatives. Bigger tires are the only thing that really increases ground clearance (lift kits just allow bigger tires:)). Also, as you said, Jeeps look wayyyyy better with bigger tires! I think Jeep engineered the 2018 Rubicon with 35s in mind.

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
Thanks @BillG.

You’re spot on, the front fender lights are what caught my attention on at least one of those. The rear lights also have a very distinctive shape. And of course the premium soft top stands out. Thanks for flagging the side vents, I’ll keep an eye out for those as well! Exciting to see more JLs on the road.

I got one of the first Renegades in 2015, and it was a similar pattern: at first I couldn’t see any; then there was a slow dribble; and suddenly the flooodgates opened and they were everywhere!
I saw one “in the wild “ before I bought mine. I still don’t think I’ve seen a dozen yet. And no sting grays yet. We know a lot of them are being sold, but it’s still a somewhat rare sight on the road.

ring_zero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting-Gray JLUR
Probably the first major purchase will be 35in tires followed closely by AEV Borah bead lock wheels (if I can convince myself to spent that much $), the 2.5 MOPAR lift, functional side rock rails, both front and rear bumpers, winch, differential skids, a front axel disconnect skid, and probably a rear shock relocation kit to raise the lower shock mounts. I can see this taking some time to accomplish because I want to do it right and everything for the JL seems to cost quite a bit. I don't foresee myself off-roading all the time but I want it to be very capable. I have hopes of trying the Rubicon trail someday.
Ha, I remember how much FUN it was researching mods for my 2015 JKU build! I spent 3 months (prior to ordering my JK) on forums and the interwebs in search of the perfect combination of mods. I definitely achieved my goal and got to spend the last 3 years enjoying my creation!

I have decided that my stock SG JLUR is perfect for me. I will not be modifying it - at all. Now I get to sit back, relax and enjoy watching how creative y'all can be modding your new JL Wranglers! :like:

Last edited:

km58501

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Ha, I remember how much FUN it was researching mods for my 2015 JKU build! I spent 3 months (prior to ordering my JK) on forums and the interwebs in search of the perfect combination of mods. I definitely achieved my goal and got to spend the last 3 years enjoying my creation!

I have decided that my SG JLUR is perfect (for me) so I will not be modifying it at all. So ... now I get to sit back, relax and enjoy watching how creative y'all can be modding your new JL Wranglers! :like:

I have decided that my SG JLUR is perfect (for me) so I will not be modifying it at all. So ... now I get to sit back, relax and enjoy watching how creative y'all can be modding your new JL Wranglers! :like:
I know exactly what you mean. When I first bought my JLR I thought I'd be able to leave it pretty much stock. The exception being the bumpers. I ordered it without the steal bumper group with the intend of replacing them to "make it my own" so to speak. But as time goes on and I see what others are doing to their JL's...well the mod itch has returned.

Sponsored

ring_zero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting-Gray JLUR
I know exactly what you mean. When I first bought my JLR I thought I'd be able to leave it pretty much stock. The exception being the bumpers. I ordered it without the steal bumper group with the intend of replacing them to "make it my own" so to speak. But as time goes on and I see what others are doing to their JL's...well the mod itch has returned.
"But as time goes on and I see what others are doing to their JL's...well the mod itch has returned"

Hahahah ... I hear ya!

Enjoy!

SONofHELGI

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Occupation
Something that sounds technical, but it's not.
Hey SG brothers and sisters. I know compared to ya'll, I'm way behind the power curve. Just ordered mine (7/14) with everything but the smokers group. I think they're throwing in the sink for free since I have everything else! lol So until it arrives and I can sport some birthing pictures off the truck, I'll be the one stalking all your posts and looking for advice, ideas, and complaints.

Itsgary2

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU
So, I got the JL Rubicon. I also had a 2013 JK.

This can be a tricky question.

On my JK:
I had a 2.5” Lift and 35” Nitto Trail Grappler Tires. My JK with the lift Was MORE stable. Because the RIMS where 20x10 with a -24 Offet and the tires were 35” x 12.5”. So, this combination gave the Jeep an much WIDER stance and the life was not too tall. So, when I would corner it felt like a sports car! No Roll at ALL... It felt Great!

On my 2018 JL Rubicon:
On the Rubicon you don’t need a lift for 35” Tires and honestly I wouldn’t get one.
I have put RIMS that are 20”x9.5” and -18 offset. With 35”x12.5” tires. And no LIFT! This is not as wide as my JK was because the offset is not a much. And the height without the lift give a lower center of gravity. So, it still is higher that a car or a Sahara but feels really sport when driving and corning. It is not at tight as my JK because It’s not as wide of a stance AND before I used Nitto TrailGrappler tires which are much Stiffer than my current Nitto Ridge Grappler tires. But the Ridge Grappler is a more comfortable ride because the tires are not so stiff. I learned that I prefer a little softer ride. You can control the softness a bit by decreasing the tire pressure... But you will loss gas mileage the more you decrease... trade offs..

So... All that to say... That is not such a easy question and you will have varying opinions and experiences because it really depends on the equipment you use. Some lift kits are more bouncy that others also. So it’s a tough question.....

If you use a shop that does custom jeeps the may have other jeeps with different lifts that you can test drive to get a feel for what you like best. But that is hard to find. And once you invest and install you are stuck with it.

Hope this helps!!!

IowaRaider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Order placed on 7/14/18. Got VIN and estimated ship date this morning of 8/1/18!!

The factory is CHURNING OUT THE UNITS! I am assuming that ship date is really the build date, and they will update the ship date as it goes through manufacturing?

Looks like I'm in for a short wait!
Ordered mine 7/10 just found out it's in paint!

HighDeaf1080p

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon 2dr Sting Gray
If this turns out to be true and mine really ships on 8/1 I'm going to feel kind of guilty when so many people had to wait so long for their orders. Why would mine only take two weeks?

Sponsored

CatskillsAlex

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-door Rubicon
I had 35s on my 2013 JK and the biggest negative for me was in deeper snow. They tend to perform worse because of the added width. I don't really notice any highway drivability issues other than passing power, but I think the JL transmission and 4:10 gears will take care of that. Some people even say that the Jeep feels more "planted" with bigger tires. For me the positives outweighed the negatives. Bigger tires are the only thing that really increases ground clearance (lift kits just allow bigger tires:)). Also, as you said, Jeeps look wayyyyy better with bigger tires! I think Jeep engineered the 2018 Rubicon with 35s in mind.
Thank you - that’s extremely helpful!!

Feeling comfortable on snowy mountain roads is a major factor for me, so I won’t rush into rash mods until my JL has a first winter under his/her belt (I don’t know if it’s a boy or a girl yet...).

CatskillsAlex

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-door Rubicon
Your stock Jeep will always handle better with the stock setup opposed to a lift and bigger tires, IMHO. The only reason to go that route is if you plan to go off-road. Then again, some folks do it for purely aesthetic reasons.
Thank you for those insights.
I like the aesthetics of bigger tires. Well, within reason: I’m not a fan of the “monster truck” look. But I like good handling even better, so I’ll probably stick with stock in the near term. As an added bonus, that’s also the cheaper route!

CatskillsAlex

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-door Rubicon
So, I got the JL Rubicon. I also had a 2013 JK.

This can be a tricky question.

On my JK:
I had a 2.5” Lift and 35” Nitto Trail Grappler Tires. My JK with the lift Was MORE stable. Because the RIMS where 20x10 with a -24 Offet and the tires were 35” x 12.5”. So, this combination gave the Jeep an much WIDER stance and the life was not too tall. So, when I would corner it felt like a sports car! No Roll at ALL... It felt Great!

On my 2018 JL Rubicon:
On the Rubicon you don’t need a lift for 35” Tires and honestly I wouldn’t get one.
I have put RIMS that are 20”x9.5” and -18 offset. With 35”x12.5” tires. And no LIFT! This is not as wide as my JK was because the offset is not a much. And the height without the lift give a lower center of gravity. So, it still is higher that a car or a Sahara but feels really sport when driving and corning. It is not at tight as my JK because It’s not as wide of a stance AND before I used Nitto TrailGrappler tires which are much Stiffer than my current Nitto Ridge Grappler tires. But the Ridge Grappler is a more comfortable ride because the tires are not so stiff. I learned that I prefer a little softer ride. You can control the softness a bit by decreasing the tire pressure... But you will loss gas mileage the more you decrease... trade offs..

So... All that to say... That is not such a easy question and you will have varying opinions and experiences because it really depends on the equipment you use. Some lift kits are more bouncy that others also. So it’s a tough question.....

If you use a shop that does custom jeeps the may have other jeeps with different lifts that you can test drive to get a feel for what you like best. But that is hard to find. And once you invest and install you are stuck with it.

Hope this helps!!!
It really does!!! :like:

Thank you so much for taking the time to share such a detailed and informative answer. It’s folks like you who make the JL forums so great! :rock:

I (and others) learn a lot here. :please: And it’s fun, too!
Sponsored