Sponsored

Sting-Gray vs other colors, showing scratches?

nathan909

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Curious on how well Sting-Gray hides scratches compared to other colors?
Sponsored

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Always found silver is the best for scratches. For swirl marks Sting grey should be okay. For scratches, sting grey will probably be middle of the road.

I have recently fallen in love with butter wax by Chemical Guys. I am not a fan of all of their stuff, but for whatever reason Butter wax seems to do a good job on swirl marks and it’s pretty fast to apply and wipe off.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The best color to hide paint chips and scratches is one closest to the primer underneath.

In most instances, the primer is a dull white-gray. Accordingly, silver, followed by white, should hide paint chips and scratches best. Dark colors are worst.

Col_Sanders

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Always found silver is the best for scratches. For swirl marks Sting grey should be okay. For scratches, sting grey will probably be middle of the road.

I have recently fallen in love with butter wax by Chemical Guys. I am not a fan of all of their stuff, but for whatever reason Butter wax seems to do a good job on swirl marks and it’s pretty fast to apply and wipe off.
I actually see swirl marks pretty easily on my sting gray. Nowhere near as bad as black though. Silver is a great color for hiding scratches and dirt.

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
it's not bad, but not great. Deep scratches will show a near white primer underneath. Light swirl marks are hard to see unless the light is right.

Sponsored

stylett9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
From my experience, I've found metallic colors assist with hiding imperfections. the glitter or sparkle mixed in with the paint helps imperfections blend in. Billet Silver metallic, then granite crystal metallic are the colors I would go for if my goal was to find the lowest maintenance color.

I have firecracker red, and though I love red and the bold statement of this color, it has been one of the more difficult vehicle colors I've owned. Obviously black will always be the hardest.

somedude922

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, Previous: 1984 CJ7, 1979 CJ7
My 3 month old sting gray has tons of pinstripes from tree branches on it. I would say I dont notice them, but then again they are not really a concern for me. But when I do notice them, it is only under certain lighting conditions or angles. I think sting gray hides them pretty well.

dd31

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Sport S
white hides scratches really well, obviously because most scratches in the clearcoat appear to be white

Sponsored

BettyBoop

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR 2dr.
Occupation
Business Owner
Ocean Blue? Nope :)

nle

First Name
Nov
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Like others have said, not bad but not great. It’s a color that shows dirty more than I thought and a decent amount of scratches. It’s a pretty dark grey so to be expected.

Chemy350

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Mortgage Loan Officer
I buy white for this reason, white IMO looks good clean or dirty, scratched or not.

johnnyj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeepless but still a fan.
I have a sting gray JL. Comparing it to my TJ's which were a mix of Blacks and Blues, I don't notice a difference one way or the other with the JL. I think scratches are sort of a thing that, if it's a concern, should result in different habits. Doing Jeep things with a Jeep is going to get scratches where I live, as trails are tighter in the PNW and branches are just a reality =)
Sponsored