vintage38

vintage38

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner Trd Pro, Indian Chieftain, Indian Springfield
I live in Florida. Tan is my choice, regardless of exterior color that I decide on. Tan also removes that awful red dash.
Agree, I used to live in Florida and if I still was there would opt for the Tan leather. I do think the Red dash will look good with black leather, but not with the tan.
Sponsored

danzy55

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2003 Wranger TJ Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Red leather get an after market kit

drummerchick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLUR, Sting-Gray
Vehicle Showcase
I went with cloth, but this is one of those chameleon colors that looks good with either leather option (at least in the renders).

BaldEagle

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black Jeep Wrangler Rubicon jl
Finally put a deposit down on a Sting Gray Rubicon. Trying to decide between the black leather or tan leather. I'll be going with color match top and fender flairs. I prefer the black leather because I think it will hold up better and not show dirt or wear like the tan, plus I think it goes better with Gray. But my wife and daughter prefer the tan as they said the black will be hot in the summer, especially with the top off. Love to hear pros and cons on both. Also wondering what most are choosing that are ordering Sting Gray. Thanks for your opinions.
download (7).jpg
download (6).jpg
download (10).jpg
download (9).jpg
download (13).jpg
download (12).jpg
Black

ERIXJLUR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Crystal Rubicon 2.0L (ordered on 2/12 received on 9/26)

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I am going to replace with aftermarket seats made of actual stingrays. It's going to be badass.

danzy55

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2003 Wranger TJ Sport
Vehicle Showcase
The tan Jeep decided on looks terrible....they should have gone back to the YJ and used the spice color for top and interior. But on my Rubicon Sting-Grey she will be getting red leather kit from www.leatherseats.com

Torenhall

First Name
Toren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubicon JKU HR
Tough choice, they both look good. I went with black myself. I like the red dash.

WildBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Super Duper Sting Gray Rubicon Wrangler. 2003 Jeep Wrangler - Freedom Edition
Occupation
Explorer of Blue Horizons, Lover of Wild Things...
Black Cloth. Wanted that red rubicon dash, so black for sure, and was planning on getting seat covers so why pay more for something I would just cover up.

Sponsored

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
Go with Tan seats look much better a 10m seat clean once a month to keep them soft and Conditioned is worth it.
I love my Tan seats. Again any color seat is ok as long as you keep your leather seats conditioned and protected they want crack.

Greggor

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo C70, Ram 1500
I'm about to order the Sting-gray with tan seats, however, I noticed that the back of the tan leather seats look different from the black leather ones as shown on the first post in this thread and also when selecting these options at jeep.com. Do the tan leather seats really not come with the MOLLE-style Jeep Utility Grids? Can someone with tan seats on a Rubi confirm this?

Silver TT

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Cayenne GTS, 23 Raptor 37, 23 M4 Cab, 23 Denali
I think this tan color is a terrible decision on Jeep's part. It's too light in color with a lux texture. It's going to ware fast and show dirt. It also clashes terribly with the dash design (especially the reds of the Rubicon trim) with no other tan integrated into the interior design. Maybe there are plans for that down the road? I think the only exterior color it looks attractive with is the white. I'm sticking with my JK and Saddle Brown leather (which is super handsome and durable) for now. Bring back the Saddle Brown in the JL!
Could not agree more....this is exactly how I feel. The biggest hesitation on my part for not upgrading to a JLU from our 2016 JKU is I love the vintage tan with the granite metallic and I am not sure how the sting gray will look with that much lighter (and I agree more luxury car than Jeep) looking tan. Real bummer. For a Sahara I agree it looks good. For a Rubicon, just doesn't really fit. So I am going to go with Sting Gray on Black Leather for our 2019 (if they still offer SG as a color in 2019) when the order banks open up in 3wks. Here are some pics of our current color combo. If it wasn't for the lack of keyless entry and the 5 speed tranny vs. 8 speed I wouldn't upgrade at all. Just something about having a key from 10+ yrs ago and a tranny from 20 yrs ago bothers me a lot.

Very subjective so go with what you like best for sure. And enjoy it.

PS - Editing this a few weeks later because I just saw a black JL on tan leather and it looked awesome. The lighter tan works really well with the black at least.

9C06C7A7-CAB5-4464-A4FE-D35EC2101A07.JPG
B453CA45-E0AC-471B-854F-829C8F5DFF23.JPG

Last edited:

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
It's a bummer that the leather is so light on the JL. I am debating the cost of ordering cloth and then doing my own conversion (Katzkin) + local upholstery shop doing the rest of the pieces that are normally leather... vs ordering leather and just recovering with Katzkin after. Waiting until 2019 MY to order (when eco diesel is available), so I have some time. Also, wife wants purple (like the JK had), so I might be waiting quite a while longer.
Sponsored