Sting Gray - Black Leather or Tan Leather

shacdaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting-Gray
Finally put a deposit down on a Sting Gray Rubicon. Trying to decide between the black leather or tan leather. I'll be going with color match top and fender flairs. I prefer the black leather because I think it will hold up better and not show dirt or wear like the tan, plus I think it goes better with Gray. But my wife and daughter prefer the tan as they said the black will be hot in the summer, especially with the top off. Love to hear pros and cons on both. Also wondering what most are choosing that are ordering Sting Gray. Thanks for your opinions.
download (7).jpg
download (6).jpg
download (10).jpg
download (9).jpg
download (13).jpg
download (12).jpg
I was torn as well between tan and black. I've always hated tan leather because usually that meant nearly the entire interior was tan and was just ugly as hell. However, the way this looks with ONLY the seats being tan really pops. I ended up going w/ black leather anyway lol.

Headed to pick her up in 15 minutes!
Sponsored

stangken

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 335i/Triumph Thruxton R/Suzuki SV650
I went with black leather. I sat in an orange JL with black leather in the showroom and I was sold. Also, I have a toddler and I won’t have to worry about stains as much.

COBoarder

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS Ocean Blue
It's a bummer that the leather is so light on the JL. I am debating the cost of ordering cloth and then doing my own conversion (Katzkin) + local upholstery shop doing the rest of the pieces that are normally leather... vs ordering leather and just recovering with Katzkin after. Waiting until 2019 MY to order (when eco diesel is available), so I have some time. Also, wife wants purple (like the JK had), so I might be waiting quite a while longer.
That was an easy choice for me. Ordered cloth, then Katzkin from Canadianseats with grill logo for $1,100 and had local upholstery shop install for $500. I really like how they cam out and the leather is a couple shades darker than stock and wrapped in black which adds the custom look.

Seat 2.jpg

Covet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 22 392, 22 4xe JLUR sold x3, 24 392
Finally put a deposit down on a Sting Gray Rubicon. Trying to decide between the black leather or tan leather. I'll be going with color match top and fender flairs. I prefer the black leather because
That last sentence covers what will likely make you happy in the long run.
First JL i test drove had the tan. It sounded like a cool idea until i drove around in it for a while. Taste is subjective, and i have had white, grey, red, black, and most of the colors in-between in vehicles other than the Wrangler. Sometimes manufacturers get it right, shade, plastic trim colors, etc. and sometimes (my taste) it just isn’t quite as good as it could be. I went with the black. Love the red dash, just realized last week the dash shade of red matches the color on the trigger on the shift knob, the red stitching on the seats just seem to go with the rest of the colors. Suggestion, try to find a dealer that has a tan one and a black one even if you have to drive out of your area. Go look at them, sit in there, drive it, etc. that should help with the decision.

Kingpre

First Name
Pedro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting Gray, 2013 JKU Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
That was an easy choice for me. Ordered cloth, then Katzkin from Canadianseats with grill logo for $1,100 and had local upholstery shop install for $500. I really like how they cam out and the leather is a couple shades darker than stock and wrapped in black which adds the custom look.

Seat 2.jpg
These look great!
Sponsored