Still need key fob if remote starting?

jeme

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Is there a need for a remote start key fob if uconnect will let you start the Jeep remotely? Does uconnect do remote starts? Thanks.
Sponsored

Ctaylor1432

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler MOAB
Uconnect does remote starts but still need key fob to drive the vehicle.

OP
OP
jeme

jeme

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Understood but there is a remote start option - Remote Start System option code XBM, is this option necessary to remotely start the vehicle via connect.

For example I can remotely start my current car through the application, no "remote start option or key fob required. Yes the key fob is required to move/drive the car.

So do I have to have option XBM to do a remote start via uconnect

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@jeme

IF your JL does not have the Remote Start option your JL can not be started remotely with the fob or remotely using the UConnect app..

The UConnect app / it's use, is only free for one year and then a very pricey subscription has to be paid to keep using the app.

IF you want Remote Start have it installed at the factory. Code: XBM

Vehicle/JL with Remote Start added at factory, nets you two JL, fobs, each with a Remote Start button on it.

OP
OP
jeme

jeme

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Thanks Rhinebeck01 - that is exactly the information I was looking for. I appreciate your help. Do you know how much that subscription is after the first year?

Also in doing my build I am very confused between the 8.4 connect and the Alpine Speaker system - I want both - but not sure of the correct option/selection. Also in choosing diesel it is forcing the anti spin rear axel for $595? Thanks so much!

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@jeme

That subscription, I believe is somewhere around $200 + per year.

-------------------------
Don't consider anything but the 8.4 with the Alpine . It's offered as Electronic Infotainment System Group at approx. $1400+-.

Also, you will kick yourself in the butt so to speak if you do not get the tow package as with that you get the very very much desired Auxiliary Switches. Many regret not getting this option.

Another big , most wanted , wish I had gotten favorite, is the LED package.

Another big, most wanted, wish I had gotten is the Remore Proxmity Keyless Entry .

You're in Florida so you don't need the Cold Weather Group which is another many wish they had gotten.

As for things forced on you when you order.... that is sometimes the case.

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
I beleive UConnect only has to do with remote start by your computer or your smart phone. When you have a factory Remote Start the FOB will have a start button, nothing to do with UConnect.

Starting with UConnect is a Uconnect option you don't need once your Trial option ends . You can renew that portion but a bit pricey and unless you plan to use you phone from a distance further that your FOB, you don't need to renew that. My remote start with FOB works at 100 yards+ so fine for me ...?

I like the LS (limited slip) rear diff "Anti Spin",Jeep used to call it "Trac-Loc". Good luck with your order too!

Go Jeep!!!

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
@jeme

That subscription, I believe is somewhere around $200 + per year.

-------------------------
Don't consider anything but the 8.4 with the Alpine . It's offered as Electronic Infotainment System Group at approx. $1400+-.

Also, you will kick yourself in the butt so to speak if you do not get the tow package as with that you get the very very much desired Auxiliary Switches. Many regret not getting this option.

Another big , most wanted , wish I had gotten favorite, is the LED package.

Another big, most wanted, wish I had gotten is the Remore Proxmity Keyless Entry .

You're in Florida so you don't need the Cold Weather Group which is another many wish they had gotten.

As for things forced on you when you order.... that is sometimes the case.
No doubt--failure to purchase a rig with Remote Proximate Keyless Entry has been one of the bigger forum regrets.

It can though be installed with some effort and parts, after sale:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...nstructions-parts-links-on-jl-wrangler.49241/

Will_Jeep

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2108 JKU Sahara, Black 2016 Mercedes CLS400
Vehicle Showcase
@jeme others may have had different experiences, but for me, the remote start through the app never worked in a timely manner. For example, when being out at the soccer field one night, I decided to remote start while my son was wrapping up practice, by the time they had finished and we got back to the Jeep, the signal was still trying to go through. I tried a couple of other times and had the same experience, I don't think that I ever got it to work successfully in a timeframe that met my needs.

Where as, as @wolfdog mentioned, the range of the fob is huge, doing remote start with the fob from across the soccer fields gets things warm in the winter by the time we get back! I use the remote start on the fob family often, especially on a cold winters morning (my Jeep sleeps outside!)
Sponsored