Sponsored

Still doing the twist...

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
This is a FRAM Ultra after 10K and two oil changes (5K each). Installed another Ultra in its place:

@DanW

BZ1eRI.jpg

BZ1OHN.jpg

BZ1wSp.jpg

BZ1jlR.jpg
Sponsored

SilverSurfer

First Name
Heinrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon 3.6 8-speed Auto
The cause can only be due to the force applied when screwing the filter cap back, causing the force to be absorbed by the filter itself, the filter is over compressed, cannot resist the force, and absorbs it by twisting at the weakest point.

I have two hypothesis statements that can over compress the filter;

1. The filter cap is overtightened.
2. The Form of the filter does not match the Fit (Installed incorrectly, filter is too long by design, the incorrect filter).

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The cause can only be due to the force applied when screwing the filter cap back, causing the force to be absorbed by the filter itself, the filter is over compressed, cannot resist the force, and absorbs it by twisting at the weakest point.

2. The Form of the filter does not match the Fit (Installed incorrectly, filter is too long by design, the incorrect filter).
1. Cap not overtightened; given the design flaw where overtightening causes the filter housing to crack, I take special care NOT to overtighten by using an inch-pound torque wrench.
2. The FRAM is the same length or shorter than the Mopar filter so that is not it.

I add oil to all of the O-rings to prevent sticking. I think it is just the nature of the beast on these filters and the design of the filter housing.

It also does not seem to be a problem, aside from aesthetics, this filter could have ran another 10K with no issues.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
It’s the expansion of the filter media, normal and okay.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Not a problem that's really worthy of worry, now my Rear Main Seal hopefully it's not going to get worse soon, as I don't have the time to DIY the repair at the moment. Don't trust my local dealer to do the repair either so there's that...........................................

I'll take a little twisty filter any day lol.

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service

this is easily disproved, simply put a filter in and pull it back out. There is no twist.

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Not a problem that's really worthy of worry, now my Rear Main Seal hopefully it's not going to get worse soon, as I don't have the time to DIY the repair at the moment. Don't trust my local dealer to do the repair either so there's that...........................................

I'll take a little twisty filter any day lol.
Yep, no worries on the twist. The media on an Ultra is reinforced and can stand a bit more twist without blinking.

Sorry to hear about your RMS...

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
this is easily disproved, simply put a filter in and pull it back out. There is no twist.
If you simply install and then remove the filter of course there would be no twist because it wasn’t left in the twisted position long enough to develop a memory.

It would be an interesting experiment if someone installed a new filter, ran the engine for a few minutes to saturate the filter with oil then let the Jeep sit for a few days/weeks then checked the filter for twist.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
If you simply install and then remove the filter of course there would be no twist because it wasn’t left in the twisted position long enough to develop a memory.

It would be an interesting experiment if someone installed a new filter, ran the engine for a few minutes to saturate the filter with oil then let the Jeep sit for a few days/weeks then checked the filter for twist.
Could be some possible vortex effect building in that filter chamber perhaps??
Sponsored