Sponsored

Still bricked JL 8.4" head unit, am I the only one?

sten

First Name
sten
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2018 JL
My head unit was bricked 6 months ago when they sent an Over The Air software update. I understand that happened to quite a few of you. They still haven't fixed mine and Courtney from @JeepCares promised me "While it is correct that your vehicle no longer has a warranty on the radio since the coverage expired by time, you had already received authorization to replace your Uconnect, at no cost to you." But still no unit, no updates. NOTHING!

Do they even care they bricked my unit? Is anyone else waiting?

It is absolutely outrageous that they can destroy your property and not fix it!
Jeep Wrangler JL Still bricked JL 8.4" head unit, am I the only one? 20211208_112650 copy
AND I AM STILL UNDER WARRANTY!
Sponsored

Last edited:

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Better Business Bureau does arbitration hearings for stuff like this. Generally, the resolution offered is a buy-back. The case I had was 20 years ago, where I had taken my Chevy truck in 4 times to get a leaking rear axle that wetted the rear brakes fixed. They bought the truck back over an axle that had a rough machined finish and would eat the seals they kept putting in. They repaid the entire purchase cost with tax and license fees, but not modifications.

My recollection was that a vehicle was eligible for the process after 3 attempts to fix it.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Stellantis just announced this super duper new UConnect system that will allow them to track everything we do, down to every last crumb of food we drop inside the Jeep.

When that happens, you will feel blessed your head unit got bricked.

It’s all a matter of perspective...

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Stellantis just announced this super duper new UConnect system that will allow them to track everything we do, down to every last crumb of food we drop inside the Jeep.

When that happens, you will feel blessed your head unit got bricked.

It’s all a matter of perspective...
UConnect, OnStar, just other names for devices for Big Brother to watch you.

cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara
If you have a smart phone, you are already being watched

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
If you have a smart phone, you are already being watched
And listened to. Talk with someone about something...buying something, etc.. Then google it. As you type the first letter the phrase or word will appear. Spooky chit.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
And listened to. Talk with someone about something...buying something, etc.. Then google it. As you type the first letter the phrase or word will appear. Spooky chit.
If that is spooky to you, you really shouldn't research exactly how much of a digital fingerprint everyone leaves.
That's just normal advertising algorithms, trust me, if people wanted to know what you were doing, they wouldn't be outing themselves with an ad.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
If that is spooky to you, you really shouldn't research exactly how much of a digital fingerprint everyone leaves.
That's just normal advertising algorithms, trust me, if people wanted to know what you were doing, they wouldn't be outing themselves with an ad.
That was my point. If the phone is monitoring you for well behaved marketeers, just imagine what data mning is going on, and lastly, how easy it would be to do bad things. How about if one of these blue skinned, pimple poppers that work in the dark rooms of google or the like, decides he wants to track a particular person he's got a twisted fascination with? How about if that's your teenage daughter? It goes downhill pretty quick. Spooky.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
That was my point. If the phone is monitoring you for well behaved marketeers, just imagine what data mning is going on, and lastly, how easy it would be to do bad things. How about if one of these blue skinned, pimple poppers that work in the dark rooms of google or the like, decides he wants to track a particular person he's got a twisted fascination with? How about if that's your teenage daughter? It goes downhill pretty quick. Spooky.
While there is always a threat of that situation occuring, there are checks and balances to ensure it can't happen. Also, Hollywood makes it seems as though it's a regular occurrence. It isn't, no matter what Jason Bourne tells you.
It doesn't hurt to be a bit proactive though of course.

needajeep

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Rubi EcoDiesel
My head unit was bricked 6 months ago when they sent an Over The Air software update. I understand that happened to quite a few of you. They still haven't fixed mine and Courtney from @JeepCares promised me "While it is correct that your vehicle no longer has a warranty on the radio since the coverage expired by time, you had already received authorization to replace your Uconnect, at no cost to you." But still no unit, no updates. NOTHING!

Do they even care they bricked my unit? Is anyone else waiting?

It is absolutely outrageous that they can destroy your property and not fix it!
Jeep Wrangler JL Still bricked JL 8.4" head unit, am I the only one? 20211208_112650 copy
AND I AM STILL UNDER WARRANTY!
Hey, I don't think this is Jeep trying to avoid a warranty claim. Back in June, I was involved in an accident and due to COVID/Supply Chain (name your pandemic issue here), I didn't see my Jeep for almost 6 months. Every part they needed was back-ordered. They got a battery tray overnight but had to wait 2 months for a headlight. If I hadn't sprung for LED's and if it wasn't brand new I would've just gone aftermarket. Also, there's no way Jeep is going to prioritize a warranty claim over producing new vehicles. For all we know there is a shortage of head units due to the chip shortage.

Sponsored

OP
OP
sten

sten

First Name
sten
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2018 JL
Hey, I don't think this is Jeep trying to avoid a warranty claim. Back in June, I was involved in an accident and due to COVID/Supply Chain (name your pandemic issue here), I didn't see my Jeep for almost 6 months. Every part they needed was back-ordered. They got a battery tray overnight but had to wait 2 months for a headlight. If I hadn't sprung for LED's and if it wasn't brand new I would've just gone aftermarket. Also, there's no way Jeep is going to prioritize a warranty claim over producing new vehicles. For all we know there is a shortage of head units due to the chip shortage.
Well, why don't they just say that? They are not responding.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Well, why don't they just say that? They are not responding.
Probably labor shortages. Not that customer service has been a strong company facet anywhere in America over the past few years, but it's certainly become significantly worse since COVID.

Pinky Tuscadero

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Pink RHD Wrangler 2015 RHD Wrangler
My uconnect dinky unit (not your giant one) was bricked the other day, somehow answering the phone while getting in the vehicle and then starting it caused it to wet itself when the call was done. frozen trying to play the same moment on a song on a usb chip and absolutely nothing else would work. Once before I took the chip out but this time it didn't work nor shutting the phone off.
Eventually I disconnected the phone from within the phone and a few minutes later the radio rebooted or something and the buttons worked once again, not the first time something like this happened but the worst yet as troubleshooting was extensive and I'm still not sure what I did was the fix.
The software is horrible at best on all uconnect systems
If I had to choose between a Chrysler uconnect or having an old phonograph sitting on top the dash to play records I'd go with the phonograph. or 8-track ? and save the empty hole to put a couple sandwiches for lunch perhaps.
Anywho, good luck and keep at them, also you may want to go to a different dealer as it sounds like this guys an idiot. You shouldn't be at Jeep chat, your dealer should have fixed you right up, that was my first clue he's an idiot (besides not fixing the damn thing or replacing it)
Push them so hard they fix it just to get rid of you.

MeepMeepJeep

First Name
Julia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2015 Wrangler
My UConnect system pushed through an update the other day, shit itself and died, killed the entire car. Windshield wipers randomly come on, radio turns on and off, I have 17k miles on my Jeep and the Uconnect was already replaced once. Now what? I'm out of warranty it's a 2018.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
My UConnect system pushed through an update the other day, shit itself and died, killed the entire car. Windshield wipers randomly come on, radio turns on and off, I have 17k miles on my Jeep and the Uconnect was already replaced once. Now what? I'm out of warranty it's a 2018.
Did you try disconnecting the batteries (find and follow the full disconnect power down instructions found on the forum somewhere). I'd leave it overnight disconnected and then power it back up. Worth a try.

Also, test your batteries. Sometimes its just a coincidence that one thing is changed and something else fails.
Sponsored