Sponsored

stiffest springs (diesel specific, please dont move)

SolarWizard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nacho3lJT
Occupation
Owner @ Solar Co

JeepVT

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Talked with Clayton off road. They offer there premium kit and overlanding kit in both 2.5 and 3.5”s of lift. There spring rates are the same on the gas and diesels at 188. Their diesel springs are specific with an extra inch of spring compared to the gas spring. I do believe lift time warranty on the control arms as well.
i don’t know shit about suspension or spring rate BUT extra length doesn’t feel like the ideal way to handle the dynamic impact of the 3.0’s extra weight other than to maintain the actual height of the lift when still. I hope I’m wrong as Clayton interests me a lot.

I was going to go metalcloak regardless of losing some height, but I’m thinking more and more about diesel specific lifts. I have about 6-7 weeks before I need to order so hoping something else gets announced and more info gets out there.

Clayton Off Road

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
i don’t know shit about suspension or spring rate BUT extra length doesn’t feel like the ideal way to handle the dynamic impact of the 3.0’s extra weight other than to maintain the actual height of the lift when still. I hope I’m wrong as Clayton interests me a lot.

I was going to go metalcloak regardless of losing some height, but I’m thinking more and more about diesel specific lifts. I have about 6-7 weeks before I need to order so hoping something else gets announced and more info gets out there.
We actually tested this kit out a few different ways with some of our customers and dealers and for the best stance and ride feel this spring made the most sense. A lot of R&D goes into our spring and kit development, and we feel that we can't really take the spring rate much higher than 188 without starting to negatively impact ride quality. I'm not sure what has created this negative misconception towards adding more height to the spring in order to compensate for the increased rake the diesel motor causes, but I assure you these springs work and work well :like: We put a lot of time and effort into designing these springs for the JL and when the time came for a Diesel lift, we weren't surprised at all just how well they worked out! It's been our goal since this company started 20 years ago to not only design and release kits that we feel are on par with the factory suspension but greatly improve upon it and that very much holds true today, we would not put our name on any product we didn't completely believe in. Clayton Off Road is not a company to just release products to see how they perform out in the real world, there's a lot that goes into the design and launch of a new suspension system! We've had a lot of success with our current line of suspension systems for the JK, JL, and JT because of how much time and effort we put into making sure these lifts come out perfect, and with the release of the Diesel model, we took all of the necessary steps to ensure our kits give you the same amazing results! :)

Sponsored

JeepVT

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
We actually tested this kit out a few different ways with some of our customers and dealers and for the best stance and ride feel this spring made the most sense. A lot of R&D goes into our spring and kit development, and we feel that we can't really take the spring rate much higher than 188 without starting to negatively impact ride quality. I'm not sure what has created this negative misconception towards adding more height to the spring in order to compensate for the increased rake the diesel motor causes, but I assure you these springs work and work well :like: We put a lot of time and effort into designing these springs for the JL and when the time came for a Diesel lift, we weren't surprised at all just how well they worked out! It's been our goal since this company started 20 years ago to not only design and release kits that we feel are on par with the factory suspension but greatly improve upon it and that very much holds true today, we would not put our name on any product we didn't completely believe in. Clayton Off Road is not a company to just release products to see how they perform out in the real world, there's a lot that goes into the design and launch of a new suspension system! We've had a lot of success with our current line of suspension systems for the JK, JL, and JT because of how much time and effort we put into making sure these lifts come out perfect, and with the release of the Diesel model, we took all of the necessary steps to ensure our kits give you the same amazing results! :)
Awesome! Thanks for putting in the time to reply. As I said, I don't know much about suspension so its good to hear it from you guys. I appreciate your response.

GolfFL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys JLUD, 97 TJ
Please tell us the difference between the premium and the overland kits. Thanks

Clayton Off Road

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Awesome! Thanks for putting in the time to reply. As I said, I don't know much about suspension so its good to hear it from you guys. I appreciate your response.
Anytime! Just trying to clear up some confusion with these diesel models :)

Clayton Off Road

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Please tell us the difference between the premium and the overland kits. Thanks
Sure! The main difference between the Premium and Overland kits are the joints that are used. The Overland kit uses our Giiro joints at both ends of each control arm which are maintenance-free, dual durometer, self-centering rubber bushings that help to soak up road noise and vibrations for a smooth and quiet on-road ride while also providing a great amount of flex and misalignment for off-road use as well! The Overland kit is our most popular option by far probably because of how versatile and user-friendly it is. It’s sort of your daily driver/weekend warrior style kit.

The Premium kit uses Johnny Joints at one end of each control arms, which do provide a little bit more misalignment for off-road use but are a little noisier on-road and do require some maintenance in the form of re-greasing and cleaning every few months or so. This kit is great for somebody looking for the ultimate rock crawling build, but even so, this is still an awesome kit for on-road driving if you don’t mind the maintenance!

You really can't go wrong with either option as you're getting Clayton quality and performance with either kit! Of course all of our kits come backed by our lifetime guarantee against bending or breaking and are 100% Made-In-The-USA :)

DuRsT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon
I know someone who just ordered the Rough Country 3.5" lift, I'll let you guys know how it goes when it comes in.

Sponsored

troubledog

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon diesel
Just had my stock JLRUD weighed on a local CAT scale. The vehicle is completely stock and fully loaded (hard top, steel bumpers, cold weather option, tow option, leather etc.). Fuel and DEF were full.

Results:

Front Axle: 2720 lbs​
Rear Axle: 2420 lbs​
Gross Weight: 5140 lbs​
The good news is that with this weight I am 960 lbs less than the GVWR of 6100 lbls, which affords me a bit more payload than the 800 lbs I thought I was limited to.

But it seems to also indicate that the diesel weight is indeed heavier up front, in my case, 300 lbs heavier. This is counter then to the suggestions that the JLRUD weight is evenly distributed. Certainly not with my vehicle. This assumes that these scales are reliable. I'd like to repeat this at a few different CAT scale locations while the vehicle is still stock just to see if the numbers stay consistent.

Jeep Wrangler JL stiffest springs (diesel specific, please dont move) CAT_020921

OP
OP
ItsNo4RE

ItsNo4RE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLU Willys/17 Ram 1500
I know someone who just ordered the Rough Country 3.5" lift, I'll let you guys know how it goes when it comes in.
keep us posted and let us know how the install went

Hard Rock Jeep

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR HR, 2022 JLUR 2.0, 2022 JLUR Diesel
Just had my stock JLRUD weighed on a local CAT scale. The vehicle is completely stock and fully loaded (hard top, steel bumpers, cold weather option, tow option, leather etc.). Fuel and DEF were full.

Results:

The good news is that with this weight I am 960 lbs less than the GVWR of 6100 lbls, which affords me a bit more payload than the 800 lbs I thought I was limited to.

But it seems to also indicate that the diesel weight is indeed heavier up front, in my case, 300 lbs heavier. This is counter then to the suggestions that the JLRUD weight is evenly distributed. Certainly not with my vehicle. This assumes that these scales are reliable. I'd like to repeat this at a few different CAT scale locations while the vehicle is still stock just to see if the numbers stay consistent.

Jeep Wrangler JL stiffest springs (diesel specific, please dont move) CAT_020921
CAT scales are state certified by the weights and measures people to be accurate for trade within a tolerance of 20 pounds. They can be off more between certifications but you should be able to rely on them as accurate.

Aonar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Rubi and Snazzy 2021 JLURD

Results:

Odd: So far all I have heard is that the diesel is definitely heavier in the front. Good that you weighed for confirmation. I will be doing the same once mine arrives and I have it loaded to my daily driving configuration. I will have a large drawer in the back, a wood platform on top of that (sleeping platform) and other EDC items in and about the rear of the JP. Will also be adding a winch to the front stock bumper. Once all this gets completed I will see what the scale states. I will also run a long level across the "stock rock rails" to see what my actual rake is after all is done.

xtremejoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel
Odd: So far all I have heard is that the diesel is definitely heavier in the front. Good that you weighed for confirmation. I will be doing the same once mine arrives and I have it loaded to my daily driving configuration. I will have a large drawer in the back, a wood platform on top of that (sleeping platform) and other EDC items in and about the rear of the JP. Will also be adding a winch to the front stock bumper. Once all this gets completed I will see what the scale states. I will also run a long level across the "stock rock rails" to see what my actual rake is after all is done.
Did you ever get around to doing this?
Sponsored