Sponsored

Stiffer coil springs to improve handling?

Fast-n-Furious

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392 XR
First hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving holiday.

I came across this performance coil package for JL 392: https://www.claytonoffroad.com/product/jeep-wrangler-392-performance-coil-package and wanted to get more insights for my 2022 392 XR.

Haven’t done any off-road yet and will probably try some easy or moderate trails down the down. So it’s my daily driver since March. I’ve put over 7k miles and the highway driving has been fine. Just the body rolls/shakes at speed bumps even at very low speed annoys me and the passengers. Especially when only one front wheel rolls over the speed bump. It feels very similar to my old Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit with air suspension. The video in that page mentioned I’ll get maybe 1/2” taller at front and 1/4” gain at rear, which I think is great too without installing a new lift kit.

Another question is I thought about getting the Hellwig rear sway bar link to improve the handling on road. Would I still need that if I go with the performance coil spring package? I’d assume the performance gain from the Hellwig sway bar will be not as much? And one thing I read about the Hellwig sway bar is they limit the flex during off-roading. In my case, I mainly daily drive so on-road handling is my goal.
Jeep Wrangler JL Stiffer coil springs to improve handling? 1669660302557

Any insights is appreciated!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Fast-n-Furious

Fast-n-Furious

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392 XR
Last edited:

AccuTunedJL

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon
We had a 392 here a while back, added a lot of weight with stock suspension. It was very soft, squishy with similar body roll as you mentioned. Springs are mainly holding up the weight of the vehicle and shocks keep everything under control. I wouldn't expect new springs to fix all of your issues. Sway bar would help, but the stock sway bar should be plenty stiff. I would wait to see what others have to say, but I would lean more towards a better shock package. We added new shocks to the 392 that was here and it rode much nicer. Handled corners much better also.

OP
OP
Fast-n-Furious

Fast-n-Furious

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392 XR
We had a 392 here a while back, added a lot of weight with stock suspension. It was very soft, squishy with similar body roll as you mentioned. Springs are mainly holding up the weight of the vehicle and shocks keep everything under control. I wouldn't expect new springs to fix all of your issues. Sway bar would help, but the stock sway bar should be plenty stiff. I would wait to see what others have to say, but I would lean more towards a better shock package. We added new shocks to the 392 that was here and it rode much nicer. Handled corners much better also.
Thanks for the input, much appreciated your shared experience!

Sponsored

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
I would have to 100% agree with raising the rear track bar to change the roll center. Unfortunately that is one of the most overlooked thing when lifting a vehicle or even adding weight up high. It was also the biggest contributor to improving the ride after lifting mine. I wouldn’t go much more than an inch or two because you do create a difference between the front and rear of the vehicle which could cause some handling issues also.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I would have to 100% agree with raising the rear track bar to change the roll center. Unfortunately that is one of the most overlooked thing when lifting a vehicle or even adding weight up high. It was also the biggest contributor to improving the ride after lifting mine. I wouldn’t go much more than an inch or two because you do create a difference between the front and rear of the vehicle which could cause some handling issues also.
I don’t know about the 392, but the XR package comes with the rear track bar bracket axle side is raised. The last RK lift I did the rear tb relo bracket wouldn’t work…..I haven’t heard if they make a raised bracket for the XR yet or not……

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
I don’t know about the 392, but the XR package comes with the rear track bar bracket axle side is raised. The last RK lift I did the rear tb relo bracket wouldn’t work…..I haven’t heard if they make a raised bracket for the XR yet or not……
I have not been under a XR, did they actually change the bracket welded to the axle?

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I have not been under a XR, did they actually change the bracket welded to the axle?
Yeah, it’s just taller… on a 2.5” lift the factory track bar kept the rear axle centered. I guess it only lifted an inch over the XR height so not much axle shift in an inch……

Sponsored

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
Yeah, it’s just taller… on a 2.5” lift the factory track bar kept the rear axle centered. I guess it only lifted an inch over the XR height so not much axle shift in an inch……
Thats actually surprising. I could see then adding a bolt on bracket but changing the housing bracket is a pretty big deal. They will need to stock two rear axles, not to mention Rubicon vs non Rubicon. I wonder if they did it on all of the models.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Thats actually surprising. I could see then adding a bolt on bracket but changing the housing bracket is a pretty big deal. They will need to stock two rear axles, not to mention Rubicon vs non Rubicon. I wonder if they did it on all of the models.
Doesn’t all XRs come with the same axle package, they’re geared differently as well…I’ve only worked on Rubi XR so far……

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
I haven't checked, but they probably were able to keep the same track bar.

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
Doesn’t all XRs come with the same axle package, they’re geared differently as well…I’ve only worked on Rubi XR so far……
Honestly I have not had one to really look at. Watching that video I am wondering if the plan is to make the XR the “standard “ and not a upgrade at some point.