First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Global Project Manager
It doesn't appear that anyone has reported this issue on the forum...wondering if it's only me? For the last 3 weeks, when I get into the Jeep after it's been sitting a few hours, the brake pedal is VERY stiff. It's like you pumped it while the car was off is the only way I can describe it. As soon as it start up, all is fine. I have 4000 miles on it and it just started happening. Its clockwork the last 3 weeks and when my service appointment finally came OF COURSE the damn thing was fine (so they reported). I did go over and check it myself because they claimed they were driving it and I made clear the issue can be noticed only before startup. I made mention that my very limited research pointed to the brake booster or a vacuum leak but that's just a guess from my Google searches. So, needless to say, I got the car home and it immediately behaved abnormally BUT it did have a couple instances where it worked as expected. So not sure - these intermittent things make me crazy. Tonight when I pulled it into the garage, I notice that after I depressed the brake and let off - there was a strange noise for about 15-20 seconds. Not sure what that was but it seems to be reproducible so if nothing else I'll bring it back this week and ask what that noise is because I never heard that before. Anyone have thoughts on what this could be? THANKS MUCH!
Sponsored

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
I have the same issue of stiff brake if it is sitting for more than 24 hours. The brake is stiff and the start button does not respond. If I press hard on the brake, then it starts. And after it starts, everything is normal.
I have experienced this twice since after 2500 miles. I am now at 3700 miles.
I also had an ESS problem since the day I got it but that got fixed - it was a shorted wire.

OP
OP

bbradshaw14

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Global Project Manager
I have the same issue of stiff brake if it is sitting for more than 24 hours. The brake is stiff and the start button does not respond. If I press hard on the brake, then it starts. And after it starts, everything is normal.
I also had an ESS problem since the day I got it but that got fixed - it was a shorted wire.
Strange - this problem persisted for about a month in the prime of summer. When the weather changed it went away (coincidence?) but not before the check engine light went on for 2 weeks. I had an appointment at the dealer and OF COURSE 2 days before the light went off and never came back on.:angry: Anyway, it's fine now but wonder what it is or if it will return. I had suspected a vacuum leak.

Oscar16

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler unlimited Sahara
Same has been happened to me. Started few weeks back before I found out needed new fuel pump. Fuel pump didn’t fix stiff brake tho. Taken back next week to get checked out.

Oscar16

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Took to dealership told me couldn’t find anything and keep an eye on it. Sure hope not something with brakes. This little scary. And yes still stiff when it sits for awhile.

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Mine is the opposite. After sitting, particularly for more than a day, my brake pedal goes almost to the floor. Odd....

The Acme Company

First Name
jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
i had this happen with my last to JK’ as well as my JL. It’s only an occasional thing. When I take it in next week to get the first oil change I may have the dealer look at it.

JayO

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2021 JL Sport S, 2015 RR Sport
I bought my JLUR is April and noticed this same issue over the summer. It seemed to happen off and on for a month or two (July and into August) and hasn't happened since. Sometimes it was when I first started the Jeep in the morning, and other times when it was just turned off for a short period of time. No idea what was going on, but it seems to be gone now.

Oscar16

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Got Jeep back today and acted like couldn’t find anything wrong with brake. Well still not convinced that being stiff is okay. So let me know what dealership does to fix yours. Everyone. Thanks

Mordin Solus

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
This happens for me on occasion, never thought much about it. My last vehicle did the same thing on occasion and it never caused a problem.

Sponsored

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
Strange - this problem persisted for about a month in the prime of summer. When the weather changed it went away (coincidence?) but not before the check engine light went on for 2 weeks. I had an appointment at the dealer and OF COURSE 2 days before the light went off and never came back on.:angry: Anyway, it's fine now but wonder what it is or if it will return. I had suspected a vacuum leak.
My wife's 2018 Grand Cherokee Altitude also had the same issue - but just once.

BTW, today I traded my Sport S Automatic to a new manual shift JLUR. Loving it. Always drove a manual shift, and I am now back in my element. I don't have to worry about this problem anymore I hope. :)

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Mine does this.

Rusty_Jeep

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Greetings all. My new-to-me 2018 wrangler is also doing this. The brake pedal is stiff after sitting for only 30 minutes - no power assist available at all. During the 1st 30 minutes there is only one power assist pump available. From what I've been reading on brake boosters and vacuum reservoirs in general, there should be more available. Has this been determined to be an issue or is this normal for this vehicle?

Thanks very much in advance for any replies.