Sponsored

Sticky Transfer case? Brutal shifting

marcdm

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara... preceded by 2012 JKU Sahara, Multiple CJ's, TJ's even XJ, WJ & WK2... yup, Always loved my jeeps :)
I am curious if any other folks have noticed difficulty shifting from 2H to 4H or 4L? Mine is incredibly difficult to either engage or disengage. I brought into my dealer for service and they didn't see any error codes in computer - but the tech did notice that is was super hard to engage / disengage.

The service advisor call to indicate there was an alert sent from JEEP that I needed to be moving 2-3 mph, drop to neutral and then engage. This seems absurd. For starters, none of my other 10 JEEPs behaved this way. But more over, what practical purpose would that serve? I am not always in or even able to move when I might need to transfer to 4H / low.

Anyone else experience?
Sponsored

OP
OP
marcdm

marcdm

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara... preceded by 2012 JKU Sahara, Multiple CJ's, TJ's even XJ, WJ & WK2... yup, Always loved my jeeps :)
Thanks for sharing, Had tried looking for any threads. Not sure how I missed this! Ill give it a read~

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
As far as my JK’s were concerned, shifting to 4HI was smooth as butter. Shifting to 4LO I always had to be rolling in neutral at a couple of miles per hour to get to shift otherwise it felt like you had to fight it. Not knowing any better I did try forcing it into 4LO, that didn’t work out too well as I snapped the plastic clip that attaches to the transfer case shifter cable to the transfer case. That was not fun limping back to our condo from Hells Revenge in 4LO.

If it makes you feel any better, I’ve had similar experiences with trying to get vehicles to shift to 4LO with a WK2 (Grand Cherokee) that we previously owned and our Ram 2500 which both have electronically controlled transfer cases. With both vehicles if you are not roll at a couple of miles per hour in neutral it will not shift into 4LO. Our Grand Cherokee we learned the hard way when we were running Yankee Boy Basin outside of Ouray, ran a good portion of the trail in 4HI until the climbs started getting steep. By that point it was too late so we cut our losses and turned around and got off the mountain. By the time we got our Ram, we were versed in the nuances and never had a problem.

Bottom line, it doesn’t sound like you have a problem with your Jeep.

Sponsored

Hootbro

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, 2022 JT RUBICON
On my daily commute, there is a couple mile straight stretch of road I have been engaging from 2H to 4H two to three times a week. It has gotten better over time but it is more of a firm engagement of the lever than my JK;'s in the past.

OP
OP
marcdm

marcdm

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Appreciate the inputs folks. Im keeping an eye on it. Have to take it back in for a leak in my hard top at the B Pillar. Seems like the JL just has a few peccadilloes on transfer case. Assuming it is standard operating procedure, it does feel more like a bug then a feature as neither my CJ's, TJ's or JKU's acted this way. I can think of a number of situations where I needed to transfer to 4H or low and may not have the ability to do so with momentum. Either because of a grade I was on or simply could be stuck.

I tinkered with it over the weekend and it does seem to go into 4H with a couple MPH - but 4low is still a challenge.

terrytnt

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MB and BMW
I also notice the problem with the transfer case when 'flat towing'. No problem going from 2dr to N but when I disconnect the tow and move the Transfer Case from N to 2dr it's a BEAR!

As noted above, I see to have better luck when the jeep is moving slightly.

XTrooper

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Retired in the mountains of Northeastern PA
Website
xtrooper.net
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara JL
Occupation
Retired New Jersey State Trooper
Vehicle Showcase
The service advisor call to indicate there was an alert sent from JEEP that I needed to be moving 2-3 mph, drop to neutral and then engage. This seems absurd.
Unfortunately, absurd or not, those are the exact instructions as written in the owner's manual for shifting from 4H to 4L. Regarding shifting from 2H to 4H, it will begin to take less effort with use.

terrytnt

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MB and BMW
Unfortunately, absurd or not, those are the exact instructions as written in the owner's manual for shifting from 4H to 4L. Regarding shifting from 2H to 4H, it will begin to take less effort with use.
I saw that, but note I'm trying to shift the transfer case from N back to 2 dr. I practices a bit today 4X and was able to do it with several trys. Still think this should be easier than it is!

Sponsored

XTrooper

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Retired in the mountains of Northeastern PA
Website
xtrooper.net
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara JL
Occupation
Retired New Jersey State Trooper
Vehicle Showcase
I saw that, but note I'm trying to shift the transfer case from N back to 2 dr. I practices a bit today 4X and was able to do it with several trys. Still think this should be easier than it is!
No doubt! The first time I shifted from 2H to 4H I thought I was going to bend the shifter!

Hypalon Man

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Grand Charokee, 18JL, MB Sprinter 3500 based WGO Navion
Did or does it get easier? I just posted regarding this issue of going from N to 2 H. Page 180 of my 18 Users guide JL Automatic.
Also took it to the Dealer and they couldn't do it per the instructions either! Have an inquiry in with Jeep Customer Care.

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
Did or does it get easier? I just posted regarding this issue of going from N to 2 H. Page 180 of my 18 Users guide JL Automatic.
Also took it to the Dealer and they couldn't do it per the instructions either! Have an inquiry in with Jeep Customer Care.
It never got any easier on my '08, '09 or '12 JK's so I'm not expecting it to get any easier on my JL. The only thing that really gets is understanding the nuances of manually shifting the transfer case into 4H or 4L.

Hypalon Man

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Grand Charokee, 18JL, MB Sprinter 3500 based WGO Navion
It never got any easier on my '08, '09 or '12 JK's so I'm not expecting it to get any easier on my JL. The only thing that really gets is understanding the nuances of manually shifting the transfer case into 4H or 4L.
So you can actually go from transfer case N to 2 H per the instructions using only transmission N, engine off?

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
Quite often, I've shifted my JEEPS XFER CASE to 4hi/4lo before even turning on the engine--

Usually it's a lot easier than coordinating engine speed/vs axle speed--and dealing with a "QUIET" XFER CASE-

W.E.

JIMBO
Sponsored