Steps for Rubicon AND rock rails?

JeepN3RD

First Name
Sammy
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1946 Willys CJ2a, 2019 JLU Sport S
We are looking at buying JLUR Rubicon in the next 3-6 months but ONE of the requirements is steps for the wife! The wheeling I do at Uhwarrie etc I am not too worried about them but in theory I would love to find a set I could remove in say 15-20 minutes and "leave" the rock rails on under them all the time?

Does such a thing exist? I have to imagine they use the same mounting locations so not sure if a longer bolt could be used, etc? Any thoughts are appreciated!

Sam
Advertisement

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
Backup for The Stig
Vehicle Showcase

OldBird

First Name
Timothy
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
I haven't seen anything that keep the sliders under the steps, but there are some really great options that are both sliders and steps. I initially wanted to do other stuff before the steps on my Rubi, but one weekend with the wife and kids quickly showed me that the steps had to be first.

I went with the ROAM "armor" steps that mount in exactly the same place as the stock Rubi rails. I'm sure they're just as strong as the originals. They also have a slightly higher priced one with a frame mount in addition to the others if you think you need something even stronger than stock.

http://www.roamoffroad.com/product/roam-jl-side-armor-steps-jeep-wrangler-jl/

yell03

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport
On Wednesday I am installing ACE Rock Sliders on my JLUR, they even allow me to keep my stock Rubi rock rails.
My 4'11" wife really wants them as a step, especially since I put 35s on.
I will post up pics after it is done.

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
We are looking at buying JLUR Rubicon in the next 3-6 months but ONE of the requirements is steps for the wife! The wheeling I do at Uhwarrie etc I am not too worried about them but in theory I would love to find a set I could remove in say 15-20 minutes and "leave" the rock rails on under them all the time?

Does such a thing exist? I have to imagine they use the same mounting locations so not sure if a longer bolt could be used, etc? Any thoughts are appreciated!

Sam
Since you’re purchase is a few months out, I suggest you check out the dozens of slider threads on the forum here. I have Ace sliders and like them. There is one (cant remember which) that allows you to remove the steps when needed, supposedly easily. Then there’s the big bucks solutions; rock sliders with electric steps. There are a couple of mfgs out there.

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
Backup for The Stig
Vehicle Showcase
You have to remove the factory rails for roam sliders. I believe only the ace sliders allow factory rails underneath them.
You're correct... I misread the original post... specifically the important part where the OP even mentioned leaving the rock rails on...in quotes.

oh_geez.gif

EZMFE

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase

Sam
N-FAB RKR STEP SYSTEM

These N-FAB steps might be close to what you are looking for. A couple of bolts and the steps come off. You would need to replace the stock rails with the N-Fab.

MikeLewisMusic

First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon 2 Door, 2.0l Turbo/Automatic
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Perhaps a little different mindset than you intended, but meets your definition. I have the Nfab RKR rails step system. The RKR rail replaces the Rubi rail, but it is a more stout double bar rail...and the step removes quickly, 2 bolts per step, and ready for offroad.

https://n-fab.com/rkr-step-system/2018/jeep/wrangler-jl

OP
OP
JeepN3RD

JeepN3RD

First Name
Sammy
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1946 Willys CJ2a, 2019 JLU Sport S
Ok some interesting ones on here, looks like simply getting a stronger step (and removing the original rock rail) is the way to go! Get best of both worlds, easier in and out and rocker protection. Lose a bit of clearance but otherwise good to go.

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Ok some interesting ones on here, looks like simply getting a stronger step (and removing the original rock rail) is the way to go! Get best of both worlds, easier in and out and rocker protection. Lose a bit of clearance but otherwise good to go.
Or the Ace sliders like I have.

Love the CJ2a - had a ‘48 when I was a kid. Trying to imagine what it would be worth today!
68401920-6610-4DFD-9D5A-D826AA018A12.jpeg
AD332913-4E0E-45F5-B179-E98AB55AFE39.jpeg

Twistbeard

First Name
Richard
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara "Nebula"
the ROAM frame mounted steps / sliders is the way to go imo for strength and style. However, that is personal opinion and I think you'd be great with any of the above recommendations.

Advertisement

Rancho

Advertisement