Sponsored

Stellantis Shutting Down Belvedere Illinois plant (produces Cherokee) - Blames High Cost of EV Production

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
The only Jeep model that I was interested in was the 392. I actually found one on a Dealers lot, that I could buy for under MSRP. But then reality's set in.....I found out, that the Hemi 392 has cylinder deactivation built into it. I should have known this upfront, but I didn't. This deactivation is a very complex system, that can not be turned off. I guess that somebody offers a aftermarket, very expensive kit, that will turn it off, but there goes ones factory warranty. So to spend $80K PLUS, FOR A EIGHT CYKINDER PART TIME WITH A FOUR CYLINDER AT OTHER TIMES, NOOO....WAY IN HELL!!!!!!!! As for electrics, or Diesel, no interest here. But everybody to their own.
Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I still own my previous "commuting" vehicle which is a 2002 Honda Civic LX. I took it out during Hurricane Nicole to experience the storm surge and winds on the barrier islands. Well, it got a little hairy and I was in about 2+ ft of salt water.

Clutch slave cylinder $28, alternator (covered under part warranty), A/C compressor (I'll do it later). I bypassed the A/C compressor pulley with a civic DX belt until spring hits.

This thing came out like a champ, try doing that with an EV.
Some have tried, and they've come out like chumps. Oopsie.

SilverSurfer

First Name
Heinrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon 3.6 8-speed Auto
My prediction is that Stellantis will go down in the history books as the company that made a complete mess of the Jeep brand.

This bunch just do not live the Jeep brand or care about the Jeep buyer demographic. To them it is just another brand in the Stellantis stable.

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
My prediction is that Stellantis will go down in the history books as the company that made a complete mess of the Jeep brand.

This bunch just do not live the Jeep brand or care about the Jeep buyer demographic. To them it is just another brand in the Stellantis stable.
I'd like to see them release a modern version of the Cherokee Classic. Every time I see an XJ out there I get green with envy. It'd never happen, but one could wish. :)

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
That article was a little fluffy. The plant is shut down, the Cherokee is gone and those workers are SOL.

Look what ESG and UN Agenda 2030 are doing to this country, and the world. Itā€™s a damn shame. Forcing auto manufactures into impossible EV quota time frames will drive most bankrupt. Perhaps thatā€™s the plan.
And when the automakers go bankrupt and the transportation systems fold because of the high cost of diesel we can all go back to the 1890ā€™sšŸ˜³. Iā€™m beginning to think my Amish neighbors may be right after allā€¦as long as there is grass and hay their transportation systems remain intact (at least until the loonies decide horse exhaust gas contains too much methane. )

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
True. But the Amish also choose not to live 20+ miles away from where they work, shop and worship, either.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase

That's never been a problem, though. In fact, Iā€™d argue thatā€™s a good thing.

Neither AMC, Chrysler nor Daimler gave Jeep much consideration; Jeep just kept doing its own thing and sales continued growing.

It wasn't until FCA that Jeep was treated like the crown jewel and, in doing so, turned Jeep too much into a mainstream brand, IMO.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
I can promise you that a horse/horses are plenty expensive and time consuming. Thatā€™s how early automobiles became popular so fast.

But, in reality, no one here really needs more than a CJ5, and if you have a family, a simple station wagon to go along with it. The majority of buyers today want luxury and tech. More often than not, buying based on gizmos rather than practicality.

And, as Aldo mentioned, Jeep has been passed around more than any car brand. But it has turned out to be every ownerā€™s saving grace of sorts. AMC didnā€™t want Kaiser, they wanted Jeep. Chrysler didnā€™t want all of AMC, they wanted Jeep, Mercedes wanted Jeep, and Fiat wanted Jeep. Each owner had to deal with the rest of what came with it. Yeah, there was Renault in there along with AMC. Their motivation was different though.

Now that Stellantis has the company, itā€™s tough to see what they want. It looked like they want to take on VW as a global power player with the acquisition of Fiat/FCA. BUT, they have not yet done away with the FCA USA brand. I think Stellantis has too many plates spinning and would rather offload North American assets than try to negotiate the treacherous water of US auto regulations. Before the purchase, they stated that part of the goal of the acquisition was to bring Peugeot to the US again, Similar to when Renault invested in, then took over AMC. That didnā€™t happen and now Stellantis all but admits to bleeding cash.

Donā€™t be surprised if another company owns Jeep in the not to distant future

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport S, 2021 Compass
Build Thread
Link
And when the automakers go bankrupt and the transportation systems fold because of the high cost of diesel we can all go back to the 1890ā€™sšŸ˜³.
Then we could go back to driving electric vehicles again...

Jeep Wrangler JL Stellantis Shutting Down Belvedere Illinois plant (produces Cherokee)  - Blames High Cost of EV Production Unknown

martoaj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Sahara 4XE
I also think those numbers are so low because the plant has been shut down multiple times since the pandemic. Dealers havenā€™t been able to get Cherokeeā€™s, and when they do, itā€™s not many. The demand for them is definitely still there.
Demand is there ... for rental car fleets.

Seriously, by modern standards the Cherokee is a very poor product that hasn't kept up with the immense number of new compact SUVs on the market. It feels cheap, doesn't drive well at all, and certainly doesn't live up to the expectations people have when they come to the Jeep brand. There should be zero surprise that people aren't buying them.

Grand Cherokee is another story; Jeep has actually put effort into that.

Sponsored

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx-retired
EV adoption rates are going up in many of the largest auto markets around the world. Those sales are taken directly from ice autos. If in the future 98% of auto sales are EVā€¦ā€¦All manufacturers of non heavy duty vehicles must transition to EV or go extinct.

IMO itā€™s the market driving it. Iā€™m buying 2 EVs and nobodyā€™s forcing me, I just drove a few and realized they are better in ALMOST every way.

martoaj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Sahara 4XE
IMO itā€™s the market driving it. Iā€™m buying 2 EVs and nobodyā€™s forcing me, I just drove a few and realized they are better in ALMOST every way.
The market is a factor, EVs are great in many situations, but the market forces alone aren't going to lead to overwhelming EV adoption in the next 10 years.

States and countries announcing they're going to ban or severely limit ICE sales in the next ~10-15 years is certainly a far larger factor. Huge tax credits / toll discounts for EV purchases are another. Tax increases on gasoline is yet another.

You can argue whether or not these are the "right" choices for countries to make, but they're making them and accelerating EV adoption dramatically beyond what normal market forces would.

40Caliber

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 door Rubicon
Exactly. Auto executives will blame anything and anyone ā€”market conditions, government regulations, COVID, chip shortages, unions, even dealersā€” but their own stupidity.
When I saw EV costs being the reason. I knew something was wrong. I don't see killing a product that's selling a good business model. it didn't pass the smell test.

i now own 2 ICE Jeeps. I will keep them as Long as i can afford to with the assumption that by time we have the right EV with a completed infrastructure I will be ready to replace mine.

i understand many people that have EVs are passionate about them. I won't debate it.. I have always liked being the last kid on the block with the new toy. By time I get it, it's cheaper, more reliable and all figured out........

Timmyjoe

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport-S "Islander" (2-Door)
Stellantis is shutting down the Cherokee plant at Belvedere, Illinois and is blaming the high cost of producing EVs. This doesn't affect me since I have my diesel JL, so I am ready for the apocalypse. However, I wonder how this will eventually affect the Wrangler 4xe if they can't keep the Cherokee going.
That plant is down the street from us. Lots of local folks are going to be losing their jobs in February. Sad to hear this.

Best,
-Tim

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx-retired
That plant is down the street from us. Lots of local folks are going to be losing their jobs in February. Sad to hear this.

Best,
-Tim
Definitely the sad reality of the situation. Hopefully something better comes along for them thatā€™s even better.
Sponsored