Sponsored

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Good point revealing an even better “Catch 22” , grid and infrastructure won’t be upgraded until we buy enough EV’s, we won’t buy enough EV’s until we are confident in the grid and infrastructure . :clap:
That's why if EV are heavily "encouraged" and I'm asked to not charge my EV at a particular time, I'll be sure to charge my EV at that time. Go directly to crisis, do not pass GO, do not collect $200. Make something happen.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
That's why if EV are heavily "encouraged" and I'm asked to not charge my EV at a particular time, I'll be sure to charge my EV at that time. Go directly to crisis, do not pass GO, do not collect $200. Make something happen.
You sir, are a contrarian….. Congratulations 🙃

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
While I feel a few BEV are a good thing. I believer for certain people they are beneficial. Hybrid tech is where it's at. Give me a Jeep that will go 100-200 on battery and then another 300-400 on gas, and I'm good. EV's are horrible for the environment. The horrible carbon footprint they have, plus 80% of our electricity is made by coal.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
Everyone is entitled to their opinion about the pluses and minuses of EVs, but as a previous Tesla owner I am really hoping battery technology continues to improve and charging becomes faster. NOTHING beats the power and drivability of an EV. People who say they will never drive an EV obviously have never experienced the immediate torque and power they deliver. An EV rock crawler would be absolutely incredible.

Sponsored

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Everyone is entitled to their opinion about the pluses and minuses of EVs, but as a previous Tesla owner I am really hoping battery technology continues to improve and charging becomes faster. NOTHING beats the power and drivability of an EV. People who say they will never drive an EV obviously have never experienced the immediate torque and power they deliver. An EV rock crawler would be absolutely incredible.

You are correct they have stupid amounts of acceleration, but they don't corner for shit. Plus, I wonder how good they really will do off-road when you consider how much extra they weigh. EV's are very heavy. They battery in the Hummer EV weighs in at 3,000 pounds. That's the same as a Kia Forte. EV's have a lot of understeer.

YIKinSD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2Dr
Good luck with that one! I've been in fleet tech for over 25 years, with over ten in the fuel business. There is no "app" for building a grid to support this and we (idiots still paying more for everything in CA) can't support lights/heat/AC year round yet without major blackouts. And if you think it hurts the planet to produce fossil fuel, you need to learn more about making lithium batteries. Hell, the giant CAT earthmovers they need to destroy mountains take 500,000 gallons/yr of diesel each just to get at lithium and the other precious metals to make a few batteries. And yes, apologies to all you climate change cultists, yes the climate is changing as it ALWAYS has (SEE: ICE AGE). And no, no apologies to the politicians who think they can legislate innovation (SEE: COMMUNIST NORTH KOREA). Our country is now begging for fossil fuels (SEE: COMMUNIST VENEZUELA) we should be producing ourselves.For the foreseeable future, without fossil fuel we can't (economically) produce shite. Apologies to the JL EV community, but if you believe this can happen in 7 years I have a Suzuki Samurai to sell you. And for everybody else who thinks they're going to save the world with their wind-farms and solar panels(SEE: MADE IN COMMUNIST CHINA), I hope it's sunny and windy enough today to charge your electric rake so when I get back from filling my JL Tank for ridiculously inflationary amount, you have enough charge to blow me! .......Just my two cents, which is worth nothing now.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Good luck with that one! I've been in fleet tech for over 25 years, with over ten in the fuel business. There is no "app" for building a grid to support this and we (idiots still paying more for everything in CA) can't support lights/heat/AC year round yet without major blackouts. And if you think it hurts the planet to produce fossil fuel, you need to learn more about making lithium batteries. Hell, the giant CAT earthmovers they need to destroy mountains take 500,000 gallons/yr of diesel each just to get at lithium and the other precious metals to make a few batteries. And yes, apologies to all you climate change cultists, yes the climate is changing as it ALWAYS has (SEE: ICE AGE). And no, no apologies to the politicians who think they can legislate innovation (SEE: COMMUNIST NORTH KOREA). Our country is now begging for fossil fuels (SEE: COMMUNIST VENEZUELA) we should be producing ourselves.For the foreseeable future, without fossil fuel we can't (economically) produce shite. Apologies to the JL EV community, but if you believe this can happen in 7 years I have a Suzuki Samurai to sell you. And for everybody else who thinks they're going to save the world with their wind-farms and solar panels(SEE: MADE IN COMMUNIST CHINA), I hope it's sunny and windy enough today to charge your electric rake so when I get back from filling my JL Tank for ridiculously inflationary amount, you have enough charge to blow me! .......Just my two cents, which is worth nothing now.
About that Suzuki Samurai....

Krowensby

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport

Sponsored

YJdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 YJ 4.0, 2021 JL Willys Sport
Spot on. Every word.

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
There is an old rule about saying "never". You don't know what the future will bring.
Yup totally true, just like the current EV owners thought that the gov would never up the price of electricity because of the EV growth. It’s happening here… it’s just a start too. Soon enough the price of ‘’electrfying’’ up a car will cost darn close to what gas did not so long ago.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Yup totally true, just like the current EV owners thought that the gov would never up the price of electricity because of the EV growth. It’s happening here… it’s just a start too. Soon enough the price of ‘’electrfying’’ up a car will cost darn close to what gas did not so long ago.
Of course it will, those profits taken from oil and gas have to go somewhere. Nothing is free. Oh, and wait until EVs get taxed by the mile or have very hefty registration fees, since they don’t pay the road use tax at the pump. It’s coming.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Of course it will, those profits taken from oil and gas have to go somewhere. Nothing is free. Oh, and wait until EVs get taxed by the mile or have very hefty registration fees, since they don’t pay the road use tax at the pump. It’s coming.
Taking the long view, my concern is the effect of broadband electric vehicle usage (or at least broadband adoption mandates) on everyone's monthly electric bill, irrespective of whether there's an EV parked in one's garage.

There is the possibility that a discrete addition to the per-kilowatt-hour fee, and/or yet another Federal fee line item, could be added to everyone's bill in lieu of targeted increases in EV owner registration fees or a new road tax scheme.

Said differently, will cost recovery for the new demands on electric generation infrastructure be socialized?

Such thoughts come to mind because public utilities, being public and thus subject to government control, may have little to no veto in the matter. By extension, consumers won't, either.
Sponsored