Sponsored

BigFeet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2dr
Man, the hate for EVs is intriguing. Clearly ICE engines never degrade with time or use. I get it, you guys aren’t early adopters, but a lot of people are! Charging technology will get figured out just like truck engines that use to get 8 mpg now get 20. Infrastructure will get figured out, yes with some pain points.

I realize my situation is not everyone’s situation, but it is the same for millions - we’re a 2 vehicle household and as long as I have 1 hybrid or ICE engine, road-trips aren’t a concern. I can charge at home on solar or at $.13 per kWh. Unless I’m going somewhere outside my routine my commute doesn’t exceed my battery range.

We’re so many of you mad when people told you ICE was the future and to sell Mr. Ed?

As technology and infrastructure catches up, I think people’s opinions will too
The problem with EVs is storage/degradation of power - battery tech is just not ready for a prime time debut. Electric vehicles have been around for quite some time now, but no one has been able to produce storage containment suitable for what is needed to make EVs comparable to attributes of an ICE.

The cost of EVs financially and environmentally... what is the benefit compared to ICEs? To us, none, but to our betters, a lot of control.

I don't get why there is so much excitement about a product that can't compete with what we already have.

Total range
Refueling time
Ability to repair/replace parts
Etcetera...

Electric motors are cool, but for transportation applications... a limited niche market only.
Sponsored

Last edited:

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
EVs have existed long before any of us were born, you “early adopters” are a few generations late. When the infrastructure can keep up with the demand and the battery tech is able to meet distance and lifespan goals, I will look into buying one. It’ll also need to be a fiscally responsible purchase, I’m not paying a high mortgage for a car. We’re still far from that reality.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
@BigFeet @TX_Ovrlnd
You're absolutely right.

@Mgg253 Nobody killed off Mr Ed. I can still ride horses wherever I want, whenever I want. Nobody shoved ICE vehicles up our asses back then, and no one should shove BEV up our asses now.
Did they restrict the production of hay, the transportation of it, put high federal and state taxes on it, not allow grazing on government land, put limits on the amount of hay a horse can eat, subsidize the purchase of horseless carriages, or put limits on the amount of methane emissions a horse can expel ?

JL Diesel

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 JL Diesel Sport S
I think pushing electric cars without the infrastructure is ludicrous. The last heat wave in San Diego we were told not to charge your electric cars or run your AC because the grid couldn’t handle it. I’m driving my diesel until I can’t physically buy fuel anymore. Then I’ll consider an EV.

Also does this mean the new strait 6 engine everyone was excited about is DOA?

Sponsored

manapiko

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
EXACTLY! I don't care if there's no gas and I have to fuel my JEEP with whiskey. Or just walk everywhere.

Battery electric vehicles are a niche market that cannot be forced on the masses. It just won't work. If someone WANTS BEV... more 'power' to them. Leave the real vehicles alone for the rest of us.

60k for vehicle, extra 6k for electric charger, and the cost of electricity is higher than gas now, wow what a deal, you will have so much money to keep paying off this losing dept .... and the best part is no local charge locations nationwide. and a week drive to Florida when it used to take only 15 hours with gas car

good lord :facepalm:

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I’ll never own an electric vehicle. Ever.
Presently, I've no interest in an electric vehicle, either, but I do respect them.

Just yesterday, there was a Tesla jellybean (I don't know or care what the model name is) in the adjacent lane at a stoplight. Hoping to goad the driver to demonstrate the vehicle's accelerative capability, I gave the Jeep some right foot when the light turned green.

It worked. He too gave the jellybean some foot. That vehicle just walked away from me like it was nothing.

Color me impressed.

SamUSA

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
That PUSH for EV vehicles is going to fail and most if not all car manufacturesare going to regret their decision once consumers start keeping their gasoline vehicles and not making the move for an EV vehicle. One question Those manufactures don't want to answer. How do you make those batteries and how are you going to recycle them! NO THANKS for EV! I am keeping my 3.6 V6 Jeep for ever!

BigFeet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2dr
Presently, I've no interest in an electric vehicle, either, but I do respect them.

Just yesterday, there was a Tesla jellybean (I don't know or care what the model name is) in the adjacent lane at a stoplight. Hoping to goad the driver to demonstrate the vehicle's accelerative capability, I gave the Jeep some right foot when the light turned green.

It worked. He too gave the jellybean some foot. That vehicle just walked away from me like it was nothing.

Color me impressed.
Electric motors do not have any conversion of energy issue like an internal combustion engine which allows instant torque/power to the output.

Instant get up and go.

Last edited:

BigFeet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2dr
That PUSH for EV vehicles is going to fail and most if not all car manufacturer are going to regret their decision once consumers start keeping their gasoline vehicles and not makoing the move for an EV vehicle. One question Those manufacturer don't want to answer, how do you make those batteries and how are you going to recycle them! NO THANKS for EV! I am keeping my 3.6 V6 Jeep for ever!
Kind of like GM's EV1 project and those that tried to follow?

Sponsored

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
I get that you don’t like EVs but battery degradation in EVs isn’t as big a problem as some people make it out to be. Older teslas are doing fine for the most part for the people I do know with them.
How old? While there are many factors contributing to potential battery degradation, time itself is likely a more critical factor than miles driven and charge cycles and the only direction to go is down.

Nothing against EVs, just that it should be a legitimate concern for consumers and it's an inevitable reality that all lithium batteries will continue to degrade over the course of time, same as your smartphone.

Jeep Wrangler JL Stellantis Prepares US Dealerships for EV / Electric Future. Goal: 50% of US Sales to be BEV by End of Decade Image1

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
On a positive note, I am 100% wanting to see what comes of the hybrid Corvette (E-ray or Zora, or whatever they want to call it). If they can do it right, that thing will be a beast and give hyper cars a run for their money.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
How old? While there are many factors contributing to potential battery degradation, time itself is likely a more critical factor than miles driven and charge cycles and the only direction to go is down.

Nothing against EVs, just that it should be a legitimate concern for consumers and it's an inevitable reality that all lithium batteries will continue to degrade over the course of time, same as your smartphone.

Jeep Wrangler JL Stellantis Prepares US Dealerships for EV / Electric Future. Goal: 50% of US Sales to be BEV by End of Decade Image1
When there is a next generation technology advance in battery and charging, I don’t have to search for “stations”, and can bring a couple “Jerry cans” of charge I might be interested. When it does the current EV’s will become Obsolete, and the tech is being developed— it’s just a matter of time.

abnormal4x4

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai
Jeep has obviously made more money manufacturing vehicles that I have.
For the high percentage of Jeep vehicles that will never see anything off-road, other than a gravel driveway or a parking lot, electrification is okay. One of my dreams is to drive the TransAmerica trail, unless Jeep builds charging stations every 150 miles I don't see how that would be remotely possible in an electrified vehicle.
For some of the smaller Jeeps that are used in urban and suburban areas have at it Jeep.
Sponsored