Stellantis offering buyouts to many salaried Jeep employees

Catdom

First Name
Dom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler jl
About 50 years ago (USAF) there was a different reason to waste lives, ~20 years earlier more lives, etc. Decades of wasted lives in the ME, for what? Less than 3 years ago we were energy independent and a net exporter for the first time in decades. We have the capability, yet spend lives on foreign sources so we can buy from them. That said, @Catdom question was also relevant. Editā€” now Europe is on the brink of exploding with the entire world likely to follow, and we are heavily participating. šŸ™
Understood. But we don't need a drop of foreign oil as youve (and I) have stated. We are in agreement, energy independence we had, we've no business over there. Yes we are indeed at a brink that we've heavily created. God bless.
Btw tyvm for your service.
Sponsored

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
Understood. But we don't need a drop of foreign oil as youve (and I) have stated. We are in agreement, energy independence we had, we've no business over there. Yes we are indeed at a brink that we've heavily created. God bless.
Btw tyvm for your service.
My ā€œserviceā€ requires little thanks. I ā€œprotectedā€. San Antonio, Wichita Falls, and Sacramento turning wrenches on aging recip (radial) engine aircraft until they were sent to the boneyard ~my 3ā€™rd year, reassigned to jet fighters- No Resemblance, Knew Nothing, but they needed somewhere to put us, motor pool would have been much smarter. šŸ¤·šŸ¼ā€ā™‚ļø

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
^^^^^ this NOT in 2022 šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£
Most places that plan to have a consistent and reliable workforce are keeping most of the older employees cause even know itā€™s not cost effective they show up to work!!
and old ppl not on social media all day
just on jeep forum

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport Mojito!, 3.6L & '18 Ninja 400 KRT
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
LOL, I was wondering when someone would catch me in the act of non-disclosure. I haven't listed the 2 jewels of my collection in fear I would be cast out of the Jeep family.
Well youā€™re a Houstonianā€¦so youā€™re my fam either way lol. šŸ’Æ

CreepyCrepe

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Sarge Green JLUWS, 20 Honda Pilot Elite
Clubs

It would seem this is a common practice in the auto industry. BMW offers them somewhat regularly at the Spartanburg plant. I've known several colleagues, including my father, to time their retirements around these buyouts because of the incentives. It's not necessarily a sign of doom and gloom, just a measure to reduce stagnation. (It is voluntary after all.)

Sponsored

OP
OP
Whaler27

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
Employee costs are a double edge sword for many companies. The more long term employees get grandfathered 5 weeks vacation and pension benefits NA to newer hires but the longer term more experienced employees on balance have a better work ethic and will work longer hours to ā€œget the job doneā€ per my boss who retired shortly before I did. (60-70 hr avg, often 80 when it was legal for truckers) Editā€” since we retired pensions have been capped and vacation pay rates changed essentially eliminating the 5th and 4th weeks pay, hours worked dependent. Family owned business recently sold out to a huge nationwide one, expectations are not high.
Younger, less expensive, employees make sense if theyā€™re fully committed, and capable of following direction. I guess thatā€™s especially true if the organization is heading in a new direction, but Americaā€™s generational change in work ethic makes the analysis more complicated.

In my world we regularly receive special funding for overtime shifts, as we have for decades. When that happens sheets are posted listing available assignments and time slots that need to be filled with volunteers. Employees who want to work an extra shift just pencil in their names in the appropriate time slots.

Years ago we implemented a rule prohibiting anybody from signing up for more than one time slot until the sheet had been posted for at least two weeks. We did that because employees on other shifts complained that the guys who were working when the sheets were posted were signing up for all the opportunities before others even had a chance to sign up for a single shift.

In the 80s and 90s almost everybody I knew wanted to work as much as they could at time-and-a-half. The rule was needed to protect opportunity for folks who worked nights and weekends, or theyā€™d never get a shot.

These days we donā€™t need any OT sign-up restrictions, because most millennials donā€™t want to work OT. In fact, itā€™s not uncommon for the OT sheets to be taken down after several weeks with many shifts going unfilled. These days our biggest struggle is finding people to cover critical shifts, as so many of our twenty-and-thirty-somethings just donā€™t want to work that much/hard*.

*I donā€™t mean to unfairly tar and feather every member of the newer generations. Weā€™ve hired some fantastic farm kids and post-military folks who are as committed, eager, disciplined, fit, hard-working, and durable as anybody in my generation were/are, but the more general trend weā€™re seeing is scary. Many of our recent high school grads are fatter, lazier, slower, weaker, dumber, and more entitled than ever. Many would need months of structured diet and exercise just to qualify for what the Marine Corps used to call the ā€œfatty platoonā€ in boot camp. Theyā€™re completely unprepared for mental or physical challenges. When this is what the employment pool looks like the expensive guys in their 40s 50s look like a bargain.

I often find myself wondering where our country will find competent recruits if, God help us, we ever get into another large scale war, or even a more leveraged and punitive trade war. After all, itā€™s the folks who voluntarily yoke themselves to our economic plow and grind away that keep our country in Jeeps and Cheerios.

OP
OP
Whaler27

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
For all the doomsayers, I'll remind you that you're typing your messages on a computer that, once-upon-a-time, was roughly the size of your living room and a thousandth the power. Then, the idea that everyone could afford, let alone have room for a personal computer was absolutely inconceivable... yet here we are.
Iā€™m not a doomsayer, or even a naysayer.

I remember the days youā€˜re referring to well. They were about fifty years ago.

I suspect weā€™ll probably see fast-charging, long-distance-capable electric alternatives much sooner than fifty years. I just donā€™t expect to see reliable and equivalent electric solutions for every niche within five years, or even ten.

But I think the odds of developing all such vehicle solutions in five yers is much better than the chance of developing and deploying a comprehensive, adequate, reliable, and environmentally responsible power supply and delivery system to keep all of those new electric vehicles in Juice.

I think weā€™re going to need ICE Jeeps for many years to come, especially in rural parts of the country, like Oregon, where some counties are bigger than New England states, and the cows and sheep both substantially outnumber the human residents.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
Younger, less expensive, employees make sense if theyā€™re fully committed, and capable of following direction. I guess thatā€™s especially true if the organization is heading in a new direction, but Americaā€™s generational change in work ethic makes the analysis more complicated.

In my world we regularly receive special funding for overtime shifts, as we have for decades. When that happens sheets are posted listing available assignments and time slots that need to be filled with volunteers. Employees who want to work an extra shift just pencil in their names in the appropriate time slots.

Years ago we implemented a rule prohibiting anybody from signing up for more than one time slot until the sheet had been posted for at least two weeks. We did that because employees on other shifts complained that the guys who were working when the sheets were posted were signing up for all the opportunities before others even had a chance to sign up for a single shift.

In the 80s and 90s almost everybody I knew wanted to work as much as they could at time-and-a-half. The rule was needed to protect opportunity for folks who worked nights and weekends, or theyā€™d never get a shot.

These days we donā€™t need any OT sign-up restrictions, because most millennials donā€™t want to work OT. In fact, itā€™s not uncommon for the OT sheets to be taken down after several weeks with many shifts going unfilled. These days our biggest struggle is finding people to cover critical shifts, as so many of our twenty-and-thirty-somethings just donā€™t want to work that much/hard*.

*I donā€™t mean to unfairly tar and feather every member of the newer generations. Weā€™ve hired some fantastic farm kids and post-military folks who are as committed, eager, disciplined, fit, hard-working, and durable as anybody in my generation were/are, but the more general trend weā€™re seeing is scary. Many of our recent high school grads are fatter, lazier, slower, weaker, dumber, and more entitled than ever. Many would need months of structured diet and exercise just to qualify for what the Marine Corps used to call the ā€œfatty platoonā€ in boot camp. Theyā€™re completely unprepared for mental or physical challenges. When this is what the employment pool looks like the expensive guys in their 40s 50s look like a bargain.

I often find myself wondering where our country will find competent recruits if, God help us, we ever get into another large scale war, or even a more leveraged and punitive trade war. After all, itā€™s the folks who voluntarily yoke themselves to our economic plow and grind away that keep our country in Jeeps and Cheerios.
ā€œOn balanceā€ sure there were good hard working new hires but had become the minority. They were getting more and more desperate for bodies, the company that required 5 years experience was scraping the bottom of the barrel and taking just about anyone who passed the drug test. I gave one a training/test drive after a short and scary ride he ran off the shoulder onto the side of a hill nearly rolling. I drove back and reported ā€œ completely unqualified, nearly put the truck on itā€™s side , couldnā€™t drive his finger up his a*s. Was hired.(rolled a set of doubles -fired) Another was looking at the load sheet upside down, could not be trained ā€œhe can drive but is incapable of loading and unloading, hired ( multiple delivery errors, returning with product he had no clue who it was for-transferred), one had a bachelors degree, but not enough common sense to run a hand truck, lost, squashed, ran over, one flew out an unsecured door hitting a car, it was his 3ā€™rd of the day and the 2ā€™nd borrowed one- losses accepted ( company lawyers son) for making honest evaluations I was no longer asked, duty went to a ā€œrubber stampā€. No comments on military readiness, I would be banned for telling the truth here too. šŸ¤Ø

Last edited:

Old Jeeper

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Port Charlotte, FL, Naples Fl, 17 Oaks Ranch, Tex
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLR-X 2023 JLR, 2021 JTR. 20 F 450 KR,
Occupation
US Army Infantry, IT Engineer
From your Cold Dead Hands? ā€œYour Proposal Is Acceptedā€ ā€” Current Administration.
Are YOU speaking for the Administration?

If so I look forward to seeing you. There is a sign on the main gate: This Gate Locked for Your Protection, NOT the Owner; Owner has guns, John Deere and a Backhoe...LOL
Jeep Wrangler JL Stellantis offering buyouts to many salaried Jeep employees IMG_3176.JPG

US Army Infantry 1967-1994 you might note, I am NOT DEAD..YET

Jeep Wrangler JL Stellantis offering buyouts to many salaried Jeep employees IMG_0765.JPG

Last edited:

Sponsored

Old Jeeper

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Port Charlotte, FL, Naples Fl, 17 Oaks Ranch, Tex
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLR-X 2023 JLR, 2021 JTR. 20 F 450 KR,
Occupation
US Army Infantry, IT Engineer
My ā€œserviceā€ requires little thanks. I ā€œprotectedā€. San Antonio, Wichita Falls, and Sacramento turning wrenches on aging recip (radial) engine aircraft until they were sent to the boneyard ~my 3ā€™rd year, reassigned to jet fighters- No Resemblance, Knew Nothing, but they needed somewhere to put us, motor pool would have been much smarter. šŸ¤·šŸ¼ā€ā™‚ļø
I will tell you what I tell ALL of your folks back in the rear. THANK YOU! Those of us who walk the killing fields KNOW that without you people back there we cannot make that bastard die for his country, without your support. Yea, we sometimes kick back and talk about you folks, you go to bed in a bed, have AC or Heat, 3 hots a day, and beer at night. I will say we have no regrets, none, yea sand gets in everything and the jungle is full of mosquitos, hot, we are hot, cold, we are cold. Glad I did for 26 years of my life...THANK YOU!!!

Last edited:

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
I am ready from their playbook... "100% EV by 2035". They are FORCING this on the car industry. Your gas burner is going to be worth NOTHING.

Me, LOL, I will not likely be alive, if I am, I won't give a flying.

So if you are a GREENIE, you are still driving a PETRO CAR, when are the people going to get it. EV is a phoney solution, the E in EV has to be generated and right now its 80% Petro/Nuke. Why not lfip it get generation on a 100% (reliable) non-Petro grid then phase in EV...

2 things.

1) They are not banning ICE vehicles from usage, just restricting the purchase of NEW vehicles.

2) This would make ICE vehicle more desirable by those not ready to make the move to EV, therefore increasing the resale value during the first few years maybe couple decades. It won't be until maintaining and fueling ICE vehicles becomes more difficult or cost prohibitive that the resale might start to fall.

#1 for me

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Bright white loaded ordered 9/18 Corvette, z28 Camaro, Mustang GT, Chev z71, GMC Canyon, Yamaha YXZ 1000rss, Yamaha 660 Raptor
Occupation
UAW GM Corvette Assembly Plant QC .
Stellantis is offering buyouts to many of itā€™s 13,000 salaried employees in the U.S. to ā€œassist with its pivot to electric vehiclesā€.

Itā€™s hard to imagine what the Jeep world will look like in ten years after all of the ā€œpivotingā€ is done to accommodate the push to electric vehicles, but I hope to finish my life while enjoying Jeeps internal combustion engines.

Itā€™s also hard to imagine how all this will work in huge states with electric grids that are already substantially inadequate, but Iā€™m preparing for another reduction in service and quality of life, with an accompanying surge in all related costs. Thatā€™s how we roll these days.
Should or got rid of the dead weight yrs ago .....................

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
and old ppl not on social media all day
just on jeep forum
Discussion forums, like this one, are indeed a form of social media. They're what the original BBS services, like Free-Net, have evolved into.

It's plainly evident that we share as many of our opinions, agreements and disagreements, photos, etc. on this site as others do on Facebook and the like. šŸ‘
Sponsored