First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
In this situation Big Govt is sticking its nose in. If this new technology is so wonderful why won't they stay out of it, like they did over a century ago? So please stop with the apples to carburetors comparisons. This is not the same.
There is no better example of government getting involved in our transporation decisions than their support of Big Oil. Over the years, how much money and how many American lives have been expended protecting Big Oil's PRIVATE interests in fossil fuels in the Mid-East. Not to mention tacitly turning a blind eye to human rights violations and chopped-up journalists.

The support for EVs absolutely pales in comparision.

BTW: I'm not an EV supporter by any means, but I have eyes.
Sponsored

ChuckQue

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Clubs

Agree there is tons of power in the current grid for electric vehicle transition. Could the grid be more robust absolutely but charging off peak hours has tons of capacity as pointed out above. We have our Jeep, a Sprinter adventure van and a Tesla Model Y - have driven electrics as a daily driver for 5 years. If everyone charges at 6pm the grid has a problem sometimes - ask Texas, but charging ofter 11pm can support many times more EVs. Also if you get car to grid in most places, actually EVs help solve the grid issues. I do not support forced adoptions of EVs or eliminating gas appliances as that is mostly green washing and doesn’t really make a difference other than making politicians feel good. Incentives and true economics should drive adoption - we have solar on our house with battery backup and have had it for 4 years and our average monthly energy bill is $21 (connection fee). Battery tech is still not there for towing long distances and operating many heavy duty modes (including off-roading), but it will come. Simple example I live in the Tahoe area and have a heavy duty gas snowblower for my driveway - claimed electric options will not move 4ft of Sierra cement snow. However, I now have an electric snowblower for our decks and sidewalks which was impossible 4 years ago as the plug electric brooms etc were useless for more than 4 inches of snow, but battery blowers from EGO, Ryobi etc that have shown up over the last few years are up to the needs of deck and sidewalk blowers.
I see this “charge off peak hours” stuff thrown around constantly. During those hours is when we are also encouraged to run our dishwashers and clothes washers. What happens when a ton more people are charging vehicles during those hours? Usage will skyrocket, and it won’t be so “off peak”. Not to mention, as someone who works what I think are typical office hours, I don’t want to stay up until 11 pm to wait to charge my vehicle. I want to plug it in when I get home from work because I am an early riser.

Another thing to consider: emergencies. Living in SoCal, we always make sure we are prepared for earthquakes. This includes not letting our fuel tanks get below a certain level, as well as keeping a few Jerry cans of gas and diesel for our vehicles or generators that double as emergency use or recreational. I do not like the idea of getting caught with my pants down because the grid gets knocked out when my vehicle battery is depleted.

I think forcing the changeover to EV’s is wrong. It should happen organically because the market and technology demand it, not because someone in an ivory tower deems it so.

missionale

First Name
Jeepie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
how did this thread go from offering packages to the electric grid? lots of guessing going on here - as for the packages - it's a good way to adjust resources instead of a forced reduction - so kudos to Stellantis.

Old Jeeper

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Port Charlotte, FL, Naples Fl, 17 Oaks Ranch, Tex
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLR-X 2023 JLR, 2021 JTR. 20 F 450 KR,
Occupation
US Army Infantry, IT Engineer
This actually make no sense at all. Are you suggesting no cars have ever been replaced on the road since 1893?
Sounds like you are saying we can just replace 285 Million cars overnight. REMEMBER the GOVT said by 2035 100% EV.

This means we must have a NATION WIDE GRID that can support EV, we don't and it won't happen over night. In 1967 we had a 9 family party line phone.

Fl just had a Hurricane, ian, and over a million people were without power for around 10 days and some even longer than that.

Grid cannot support 100% EV maybe be 2035 and the cost will be TRILLIONS$$$

Oh another MINOR issue: as of today, about 80% of all power generation comes from Petro/Nuclear. The rest is so called GREEN power, nothing GREEN about it!

Solar/Wind yes it got down to 2 F a couple of winters ago on my ranch in S Texas, seems as the wind turbine blades iced over and so did the Solar panels and did not generate any electricity.

EV Electric Grid, ever drive from say San Antonio Tx to Elpaso Tx, nothing out there other than the largest wind farm in the US, but if your EV runs out of the Big E, you are out of luck as you sit on the side of I 10 watching the blades spin.

Have you forgotten that the Gas/Diesel you own has ZERO trade-in value?

That said, do NOT get me wrong, I am a EV & Solar supporter. I have had Solar on my ranch in Tx for over 10 years and I saved $3,000 bucks the day it was turned on. Ohhh and my cost for that Solar implementation? about $125 bucks and $50 bucks to maintain over that 10 years.

Anyone notice the folks shoving EV down our throats don't drive EV...

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer

It’s also hard to imagine how all this will work in huge states with electric grids that are already substantially inadequate, but I’m preparing for another reduction in service and quality of life, with an accompanying surge in all related costs. ...
Yup, I think the next generation of kids will be the "power shortage generation" 🤪

Shark01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 392, 2005 Ford GT, 1999 Lamborghini Diablo
Just an excuse to get rid of high paid knowledgeable with decades of experience workers with young cheap know-nothings.....business as usual.

As far as power grids go, I worked boots on the ground in that industry in the 90s and it was held together by spit and bailing wire back then. Its little wonder that when our Texas grid makes it through a high temperature weekend, it is literally the first story on the Monday night news.

But yet the stupid sheep continue to demonize our robust oil & gas industry.

When my 392 gets here, I'll celebrate my 1,700 hp garage.

UM_Ftown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 5.9, 00 XJ
Sounds like you are saying we can just replace 285 Million cars overnight. REMEMBER the GOVT said by 2035 100% EV.

This means we must have a NATION WIDE GRID that can support EV, we don't and it won't happen over night. In 1967 we had a 9 family party line phone.

Fl just had a Hurricane, ian, and over a million people were without power for around 10 days and some even longer than that.

Grid cannot support 100% EV maybe be 2035 and the cost will be TRILLIONS$$$

Oh another MINOR issue: as of today, about 80% of all power generation comes from Petro/Nuclear. The rest is so called GREEN power, nothing GREEN about it!

Solar/Wind yes it got down to 2 F a couple of winters ago on my ranch in S Texas, seems as the wind turbine blades iced over and so did the Solar panels and did not generate any electricity.

EV Electric Grid, ever drive from say San Antonio Tx to Elpaso Tx, nothing out there other than the largest wind farm in the US, but if your EV runs out of the Big E, you are out of luck as you sit on the side of I 10 watching the blades spin.

Have you forgotten that the Gas/Diesel you own has ZERO trade-in value?

That said, do NOT get me wrong, I am a EV & Solar supporter. I have had Solar on my ranch in Tx for over 10 years and I saved $3,000 bucks the day it was turned on. Ohhh and my cost for that Solar implementation? about $125 bucks and $50 bucks to maintain over that 10 years.

Anyone notice the folks shoving EV down our throats don't drive EV...
You do know people can continue to purchase, drive, use, petro powered vehicles after that date right? Just not new in certain states. You act like you have to turn your petro powered vehicle in at a hard cutoff date.

And no way we could possibly upgrade the grid in the 17 years or so.

Sponsored

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
This, coming at a time when the rest of the world is just starting to figure out that there literally isn't enough square footage on the face of the Earth to accommodate all the windmills and solar panels necessary to generate the power required to serve the world's population.
With 2.5 million square miles at the top of South America alone, are you sure? All we gotta do is level the rainforests and cover the deserts.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Or...Stellantis could keep the redundant employees in place and raise prices to cover it. [but then we'd complain about that]. At the end of the day, corporations support their shareholders as a number one priority. We do support capitalism, don't we? Employee buyouts are the best "soft-landings" that companies offer. Their alternative: involuntary separations.

All of that said, buyouts often backfire. The best (and most employable) workers jump for them, while the least-competent workers hold onto their jobs like grim death.

Old Jeeper

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Port Charlotte, FL, Naples Fl, 17 Oaks Ranch, Tex
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLR-X 2023 JLR, 2021 JTR. 20 F 450 KR,
Occupation
US Army Infantry, IT Engineer
You do know people can continue to purchase, drive, use, petro powered vehicles after that date right? Just not new in certain states. You act like you have to turn your petro powered vehicle in at a hard cutoff date.

And no way we could possibly upgrade the grid in the 17 years or so.
I am ready from their playbook... "100% EV by 2035". They are FORCING this on the car industry. Your gas burner is going to be worth NOTHING.

Me, LOL, I will not likely be alive, if I am, I won't give a flying.

So if you are a GREENIE, you are still driving a PETRO CAR, when are the people going to get it. EV is a phoney solution, the E in EV has to be generated and right now its 80% Petro/Nuke. Why not lfip it get generation on a 100% (reliable) non-Petro grid then phase in EV...
Sponsored