Jmos4

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Challenger Scat Pack M6/2007 Ram 2500 G56
Hi,

Couldn't be they are preparing for the current/coming recession?

Although paying 20-40 year olds 60-85 grand a year is cheaper than paying 40-60 year olds six figures, who do they think will be able to afford the future six figure electric vehicles they are planning on offering to the public?

Personally I think people should be deciding on what type vehicles are offered, vs government mandates, but again jmho.

Regards,
Jim
Sponsored

Old Jeeper

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Port Charlotte, FL, Naples Fl, 17 Oaks Ranch, Tex
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLR-X 2023 JLR, 2021 JTR. 20 F 450 KR,
Occupation
US Army Infantry, IT Engineer
Stellantis is offering buyouts to many of itā€™s 13,000 salaried employees in the U.S. to ā€œassist with its pivot to electric vehiclesā€.

Itā€™s hard to imagine what the Jeep world will look like in ten years after all of the ā€œpivotingā€ is done to accommodate the push to electric vehicles, but I hope to finish my life while enjoying Jeeps internal combustion engines.

Itā€™s also hard to imagine how all this will work in huge states with electric grids that are already substantially inadequate, but Iā€™m preparing for another reduction in service and quality of life, with an accompanying surge in all related costs. Thatā€™s how we roll these days.
REALITY

Cost to upgrade the NATION WIDE GRID: Cost $1-$3 TRILLION

US Military converting to all Electric: Cost $50-$100 BILLION

Problem: as of today, there are at least 285 MILLION cars operating and registered in the US. To replace that requires an upheaval of our entire country, from replacment wha to do with 285 Million cars = almost 1 BILLION tons of scrap, and what landfill are we going to put that in?

Cost to relace at an average of $50,000 per electric car $1.3 Billion in NEW money as your used Belchfire V6 Jeep must be turned in for scrap, you will cost of metal at about 2 cent per lb since everyone is turning them in.

Anyone seen any problems in this???

Here is MY take: You will get my Jeep Rubicon at the same time you stop by the ranch to pick up my guns...from my COLD DEAD HANDS. Hope to see you SOON!

failsafe306

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 2.0
Build Thread
Link
Or, the open pit mining, along with the raping of the land, and polluting of the land, and water supplies around these mines. Everything is all well and good, if a 3rd world country is polluted and plundered. Maybe find some lithium, cobalt, zinc, etc. in California and Maine. Then do some open pit mining there, and see how fast this "Electric Vehicles Now" crowd change their stance, and fall out of love with electric cars.
Oh look, an environmentalist who is concerned about the welfare of 3rd world countries. Hats off to you, sir.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Oh look, an environmentalist who is concerned about the welfare of 3rd world countries. Hats off to you, sir.
Not I. I just like pointing out the hypocrisy of the Eco Nuts.

Sponsored

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
Everyone knows employee costs are the highest, or one of the highest, for all employers. Salaries are only a part of employee costs. So, if a person makes $75k, you're probably paying another $20k in taxes, benefits, etc. So, for everyone they offer early retirement, they save $100k. So, it's just a cost-cutting/savings measure, and one (probably the best one) that makes sense in a recession.
Employee costs are a double edge sword for many companies. The more long term employees get grandfathered 5 weeks vacation and pension benefits NA to newer hires but the longer term more experienced employees on balance have a better work ethic and will work longer hours to ā€œget the job doneā€ per my boss who retired shortly before I did. (60-70 hr avg, often 80 when it was legal for truckers) Editā€” since we retired pensions have been capped and vacation pay rates changed essentially eliminating the 5th and 4th weeks pay, hours worked dependent. Family owned business recently sold out to a huge nationwide one, expectations are not high.

Last edited:

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
I donā€™t see that the electrical grids will have much issue, IF utilities and regulators price energy when the grid has availability. For my utility, PG&E, the ā€œcheapā€ time for EV rate is from midnight to 3 pm. Itā€™s only been a week, but I have had no problem charging my 4xe each night using the standard 120V outlet. Even in the summer when we had the heatwave, the grid had lots of capacity from midnight to noon.
You're able to charge for 2 reasons...
1) the 4xe battery is small...the range is what, 20 miles?
2) not everybody has an electric car
When the batteries are bigger, and everyone has one, the grid is going to collapse. That is, until the batteries go bad. Then it's going to be the Hunger Games to see who can afford one of the last replacement batteries because there's nothing left in the ground.

Yellow4xe

First Name
Myron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
High Velocity Yellow 2023 Rubicon 4xe
You're able to charge for 2 reasons...
1) the 4xe battery is small...the range is what, 20 miles?
Yes, but that doesnā€™t limit what I could do. With a 240V charger @ 40 Amps, I have the capacity to do 9.6 kWh per hour. Thatā€™s just a bit more than my hot tub heater uses now. Even at the 4xe low efficiency of 68 kWh per 100 miles, I could add over 300 miles per day with a bigger battery

2) not everybody has an electric car
When the batteries are bigger, and everyone has one, the grid is going to collapse.
There may be some isolated issues from transformers or circuits needing upgrades, but it wonā€™t collapse. 99% of the time ā€œthe gridā€ has more capacity than needed. American capitalism will figure it out since there is money to be made in selling more electricity. And, if they donā€™t do that fast enough, solar developers will sell customers solar panels.

That is, until the batteries go bad. Then it's going to be the Hunger Games to see who can afford one of the last replacement batteries because there's nothing left in the ground.
Read about doomsday predictions from ā€œpeak oilā€ from 25 years ago. They were wrong, and I believe your doomsday wonā€™t happen either. Hereā€™s a link: https://peakoil.com/enviroment/doomsday-can-wait-a-little-longer

In any case, it doesnā€™t really matter what you or I think. From this announcement, Stellantis and Jeep are moving toward making more electric vehicles. After driving one that can run on electric only, I can see why.

Hercules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ram 2500 Longhorn, 2022 JLURD
The environmental trades involved in committing to an all electric fleet are impossible for me to fully discuss on this forum without risk of banishment, so Iā€™ll say only this: I have yet to see a truly net-environmentally-friendly electric vehicle, because mining and processing the materials needed for the batteries is damaging, as are the most-used technologies for power production. Then thereā€™s the matter of disposal of the batteries and solar panel components.... Ironically, the most environmentally friendly power production technology that can actually meet the demand is nuclear, which is why itā€™s so popular in other parts of the world, but I live in an area the Birkenstock Bolsheviks have declared a ā€œnuke-free zoneā€, so weā€™ll be filling the landfills with discarded Prius parts, ruining salmon runs with hydro-turbines, killing migratory birds with wind farms, cluttering formerly green agricultural land with solar panels, and burning fossil fuels to generate power for our electric fleet.

For now, Iā€™m doing my part to save the world by driving vehicles powered by gas and diesel engines. ;)
Preach brother.

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
"We're not downsizing, we're rightsizing."

Heard it before, seen it before. I agree with the prior suggestion that this is likely linked to the not-insubstantial effects of Personnel budgets.

UM_Ftown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 5.9, 00 XJ
REALITY

Cost to upgrade the NATION WIDE GRID: Cost $1-$3 TRILLION

US Military converting to all Electric: Cost $50-$100 BILLION

Problem: as of today, there are at least 285 MILLION cars operating and registered in the US. To replace that requires an upheaval of our entire country, from replacment wha to do with 285 Million cars = almost 1 BILLION tons of scrap, and what landfill are we going to put that in?

Cost to relace at an average of $50,000 per electric car $1.3 Billion in NEW money as your used Belchfire V6 Jeep must be turned in for scrap, you will cost of metal at about 2 cent per lb since everyone is turning them in.

Anyone seen any problems in this???

Here is MY take: You will get my Jeep Rubicon at the same time you stop by the ranch to pick up my guns...from my COLD DEAD HANDS. Hope to see you SOON!
This actually make no sense at all. Are you suggesting no cars have ever been replaced on the road since 1893?

Catdom

First Name
Dom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler jl
Unfortunately, time marchs on.

The horse and buggy folks likely felt the same way about those damned paved roads and the proliferation of those new fangled gas stations. I bet visionaries 120 years ago predicted that getting in bed with the Mid-Easterners might be a mistake... How's that working out for us?

And, for the record, I'm not an EV fan (yet).
Horse and buggy folks is a poor comparison in my opinion. Governments around the world didn't legislate the horse and buggy out of existence. The feds didn't make horse owners feel like social and ecological pariah. What killed the horse and buggy was plain and simple, THE MARKET. With the eventual affordability, reliability and practicality the automobile afforded, the public responded. In this situation Big Govt is sticking its nose in. If this new technology is so wonderful why won't they stay out of it, like they did over a century ago? So please stop with the apples to carburetors comparisons. This is not the same.

Cycle11111

First Name
Alastair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2 Door Wrangler Sport
I donā€™t see that the electrical grids will have much issue, IF utilities and regulators price energy when the grid has availability. For my utility, PG&E, the ā€œcheapā€ time for EV rate is from midnight to 3 pm. Itā€™s only been a week, but I have had no problem charging my 4xe each night using the standard 120V outlet. Even in the summer when we had the heatwave, the grid had lots of capacity from midnight to noon.

I copied my energy usage from Monday after my wife and I drove the Henness Pass Road on Sunday. We had <1% charge when we got home. Charging the Jeep does show up, but not that much. (The big spike is my hot tub!!! which makes the 4xe usage looks pretty small in comparison.)

@Whaler27 - Your profile says youā€˜re working to ā€œSave the Worldā€ā€¦ maybe you should look into a 4xe? ;)

D92DE4F4-AACE-4F2E-BF35-9A15D44E1FF6.png
Grid Problems??ā€”Ca. and we havenā€™t had a blackout since Monday!! Expensive large off grid capable solar installed three weeks ago,except for ONE PART they say they canā€™t get yet šŸ˜–. Because Pacific Graft & Extortion (PG&E) canā€™t reliably keep the power on Now!! In related newsā€” ICE cars scheduled to be Banned , and now add natural gas home and water heaters! BRILLIANT GENIUS!! :clap:
Agree there is tons of power in the current grid for electric vehicle transition. Could the grid be more robust absolutely but charging off peak hours has tons of capacity as pointed out above. We have our Jeep, a Sprinter adventure van and a Tesla Model Y - have driven electrics as a daily driver for 5 years. If everyone charges at 6pm the grid has a problem sometimes - ask Texas, but charging ofter 11pm can support many times more EVs. Also if you get car to grid in most places, actually EVs help solve the grid issues. I do not support forced adoptions of EVs or eliminating gas appliances as that is mostly green washing and doesnā€™t really make a difference other than making politicians feel good. Incentives and true economics should drive adoption - we have solar on our house with battery backup and have had it for 4 years and our average monthly energy bill is $21 (connection fee). Battery tech is still not there for towing long distances and operating many heavy duty modes (including off-roading), but it will come. Simple example I live in the Tahoe area and have a heavy duty gas snowblower for my driveway - claimed electric options will not move 4ft of Sierra cement snow. However, I now have an electric snowblower for our decks and sidewalks which was impossible 4 years ago as the plug electric brooms etc were useless for more than 4 inches of snow, but battery blowers from EGO, Ryobi etc that have shown up over the last few years are up to the needs of deck and sidewalk blowers.
Sponsored