Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
Occupation
DoD
Vehicle Showcase
NOTE: This lift will be available for public purchase mid-late November 2020.

Over the past few months I've had the opportunity to do a hands-on install and review on Steinjagers' 3.5 Lift prototype. The system on my JLR was number 2 produced by the company. Below is my 4,000 and final review on the lift.

Final Review / 4,000 Miles

Minus the shocks, the Steinjager 3.5 suspension comes with everything you need. Once installed, it felt more like a 4.5 versus a 3.5, and made me really regret running 35-inch tires over 37-inch tires, however once the lift settled in, it looked, and rode great. The lift was tested on-and-off the trails, in it’s time on the Jeep it has been to the Jeep Playground, Anthracite Off-Road Adventure Area (AOAA), Rausch Creek Off-Road Park and the Peters Mill Gap Off-Road Trail.

On the road, with Falcon 2.1 shocks, the Steinjager setup is not too stiff, nor too soft. Potholes continue to be swiftly avoided and bumps taken with ease at highway speeds. On the trails, the Steinjager suspension continues to “wow” me each time I go out. The amount of downtravel I have is always impressive (and I should be better at getting some pictures of it). For the way the system is built, it is generally quiet, with minimal “clunking” on the trails. Paired with 35’s, it made black and red trails challenging, while still proving enough clearance for stumps, rocks and other surprises I found along the way.

Being generally apt to rocks, over mud, the Steinjager 3.5 inch suspension has been a great fit for me and my JL Rubicon. All the components live up to the name and reputation I have grown to trust over the past 5 years. Once released, I would be quick to recommend this to anyone looking to improve their JL.

2,000 Mile Review Below

On Road:

The on-road performance is the most important part of a suspension system for me. With 2,012 miles on the JL and it being my daily driver, this, this is a huge selling point for any suspension. Even the most hard-core wheelers drive at least some of the time on the street. With the recent popularity of Wranglers I would bet that most of the JL owners use their Jeeps as daily drivers so on road performance is very important.

I was overall pretty happy with the stock JL Rubicon suspension on the street. While being a bit soft on and wobbly rough roads, on highway driving it was great. The Steinjager suspension firmed up the ride and matched with the Falcon Shocks was much more stable at speed when the road got rough and I hit those notorious East-Coast pot-holes. I had the unfortunate opportunity to test the durability and stability of the suspension out at 75 mph on I-95 North of Baltimore. I was cut off by a motorcycle merging onto the highway and cut my wheels hard to the shoulder to avoid clipping him. The suspension held up great, I stayed stable throughout the entire encounter and was able to keep control of the Jeep.

Dirt Roads:

We took the JL on several unimproved rads (rough dirt roads) in Frederick County, MD, in stock trim and with the Steinjager Suspension. After a few hours on these dirt and gravel roads I was amazed to find that my new JL drove worse on some of these roads than my old LJ. The Steinjager Suspension with the Falcon shocks more allowed us to travel at higher speeds with confidence. In many spots, probably too much confidence. In stock form the JL feels like it wanted to walk to the outside of these roads much more than with the new set up. The springs and shocks seemed almost out of sync on these type of roads stock. With the new setup, everything seems to “talk” to each other perfectly.

Off Road:

I have taken the JL with the Steinjager suspension to Jeep Playground in Virginia and Anthracite Outdoor Adventure Area in Pennsylvania since the install. The jeep has been to both Anthracite Outdoor Adventure Area and Rausch Creek on the stock suspension.
The Steinjager suspension swallows up rocks and spit them out without missing a beat. It has tons of smooth controllable flex. They let the tire contact the rock first almost ever single time. That being said, they are designed to take a serious beating. If you can drag them on every rock you can find with confidence of making it home. When off-road, I did wheel it hard, take the hard lines and loved every minute of it. The Steinjager suspension really shines in the rocks. With a group of Jeeps, most of whom ”looked” more capable than me, I was told “You have the most capable rig out here.” That says a ton about the suspension

Conclusion

For the past 15 years I have been in the Jeep world, and have had the opportunity to work on, and drive a number lifted Jeeps ranging from a KJ Liberty, to my old LJ. I have installed several JK lifts and did a good amount of research on JL lifts. So far, I really enjoy the Steinjager 3.5’ suspension. It drives very nice on the road. Firm, comfortable and stable. I love how beefy everything is for off road use and the accent color catches the eye of everyone who sees it. The lift gives me the confidence off road to do what I want (or get me out of what I didn’t want to do). I would say it is going to be easily one of the better lifts on the market.

Follow my build on Instagram: @NoNameJLR

Jeep Wrangler JL Steinjager 3.5 Lift Review 4BB9749E-1BD6-4D68-A29A-9104E81A5ADD
Jeep Wrangler JL Steinjager 3.5 Lift Review IMG_2789
Jeep Wrangler JL Steinjager 3.5 Lift Review 45758645-8A7D-4B7F-87B0-584116D84869
Sponsored

OP
OP
NoNameJLR

NoNameJLR

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
Occupation
DoD
Vehicle Showcase
After some time, and wheeling it, a did tear the bushings in both my control arms and drag links, along with noticeable rust on the control arms. I think this would be a great kit for a “mall crawler” or light wheeler, however for someone like myself it can’t handle the abuse.

I am personally switching over to a Metal Cloak lift which I will installing within a week or so.

JRINGO77

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Agree nice job following through I don't think many people do this and admit first impressions were different than ending impressions.

Sponsored

OP
OP
NoNameJLR

NoNameJLR

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
Occupation
DoD
Vehicle Showcase
Update.
Pulled the Steinjager lift off today. The only things that seemed to survive were the springs. Here’s the damage to the control Arne.

Jeep Wrangler JL Steinjager 3.5 Lift Review 165B1D06-8DBF-4F81-BA02-2AFD4460004D

CD84013D-7C8C-4F7C-BA94-8A35696CFB18.jpeg

7B452509-842C-4468-B9AF-BF8D6555A18A.jpeg

2DA16170-C0BB-42FF-BF08-7DA3A622DD3A.jpeg

23CD471E-4706-407C-8A3A-6DB41C176EBC.jpeg

64E3DA21-1566-4685-AC74-F75FE1EFD577.jpeg

B8937B88-B7D1-4CCE-8CCA-FF086C233C5B.jpeg

OP
OP
NoNameJLR

NoNameJLR

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
Occupation
DoD
Vehicle Showcase
I spoke to Steinjager regarding the failure.
They informed me Steinjager is now purchasing polys from known suppliers Prothane & Energy Suspension regarding all control arms, track bars and panhard bars that utilize polys.

They are also sending replacements of the failed parts

OceanWillys20

First Name
Mariah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Willys 2 door
I spoke to Steinjager regarding the failure.
They informed me Steinjager is now purchasing polys from known suppliers Prothane & Energy Suspension regarding all control arms, track bars and panhard bars that utilize polys.

They are also sending replacements of the failed parts
I purchased this whole kit in may of this year, do you think it has the upgraded polys you mentioned? Thanks!

OP
OP
NoNameJLR

NoNameJLR

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
Occupation
DoD
Vehicle Showcase
I purchased this whole kit in may of this year, do you think it has the upgraded polys you mentioned? Thanks!
I honestly don’t know when they started switching the polys. Just keep on them for wear.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
The 50 color options scream show truck, not surprised the durability wasn't great. A 3.5" lift that doesn't address bump stops is a big red flag too. Kudos for trying something new and for the transparency in sharing your results.

Sponsored

OceanWillys20

First Name
Mariah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I honestly don’t know when they started switching the polys. Just keep on them for wear.
Thanks for the quick response! I guess I should’ve done more research but honestly couldn’t find many reviews on them. I mainly use my jeep for a daily and some beach driving occasionally so I should be fine. What signs should I look for as far as wear?

OceanWillys20

First Name
Mariah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The 50 color options scream show truck, not surprised the durability wasn't great. A 3.5" lift that doesn't address bump stops is a big red flag too. Kudos for trying something new and for the transparency in sharing your results.
What bump stop upgrade would you recommend? I’m getting the falcon sp2 3.3 shocks to go with my 35 inch tires

OceanWillys20

First Name
Mariah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was looking at the Fox 2.0 factory racing one