Steersmarts yeti drag link failure

SS_AP

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
For those interested, this is the first-ever no-drill top mount draglink stud failure that we've ever had, and we have well over 10,000 units currently out there being used and abused.

I am trying to get the end back from Evo so we can send it to our engineering team/metallurgist for review the part and determine the cause of the failure in this instance. I have seen one photo of the end and it appeared that the stud broke partway up, just under the threads. This failure mode would indicate that the end was not torqued down correctly. Our no-drill top mount requires more torque than a stock draglink, so if the end was torqued to OEM spec and not to our specification, this would be the cause of the failure. If the stud had somehow made it through QC and wasn't hardened correctly, it would have broken off at the base of the stud, not partway up.

Yes, the SS no-drill stud is a straight shank and utilizes a tapered sleeve to save the customer from having to drill out the knuckle, but that does not mean our stud is weaker than a stock stud. Conversely, the stud is actually stronger than a stock stud, and this is something we've proven through testing and engineering.

None of our parts are invincible - they all have a failure point, but that being said, they are very stout and strong products that are made here in the USA. We have a forge and a machine shop in NW Ohio and we are dedicated to providing the best quality parts possible. I will continue to stay in contact with the Evo team in an attempt to get that end delivered to our team for review. FWIW, Evo continues to purchase our products for installation on their builds.

I will give an update to this thread if I get the end back from them and are able to have it inspected/reviewed to figure out the cause of failure.
Sponsored

DickZip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Jl Rubicon
Great thread, thanks to both mfg for their responses.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
And another perspective on top of yours.....

I see thousands of dollars of useless parts on that Jeep and yet no hydro assist, which takes most of the load off the drag link, sector shaft, and steering box. I mean they even have a blingy $300 steering stabilizer on that thing which is already half the cost of a redneck ram.
Valid point; but it seems most don't consider such a setup. Thanks for pointing this out.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Just to add, the Steer Smarts drag link has a clever "no-drill" adapter for high steer, but that means it uses a smaller diameter straight pin through the knuckle instead of a larger tapered stud. I wouldn't say this is why it failed, it could have been loose or something else entirely, but the comparable parts aren't quite the same thing. Our replacement tie rod ends are also $45.
Thanks for the correct Chris, I forgot about the flip kit and smaller diameter so it's actually more money for a weaker rod end. Even more reason I'm a happy Synergy customer :rock:

OP
OP
RenoMD

RenoMD

First Name
DC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL unlimited Rubicon
@SS_AP thank you for the information and we would love to hear the analysis results from your metallurgists.

Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I actually didn't know all the controversy over Eddie but ironically one of the few videos I watched was him installing one of the steering kits on his JL, I thought it was SS, maybe it was a competitor

Anyway, 2 things made me think he may not be the expert he tries to appear:
1) he was using a pickle fork and every pro mechanic knows they're not necessary and only cause damage (to boots)
2) they made a big deal of running to HD to get a 22mm wrench when he was holding a 7/8" in his shop

Now no one is perfect but stuff like this just sets off my radar a little as far as the experience of "experts"

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
I actually didn't know all the controversy over Eddie but ironically one of the few videos I watched was him installing one of the steering kits on his JL, I thought it was SS, maybe it was a competitor

Anyway, 2 things made me think he may not be the expert he tries to appear:
1) he was using a pickle fork and every pro mechanic knows they're not necessary and only cause damage (to boots)
2) they made a big deal of running to HD to get a 22mm wrench when he was holding a 7/8" in his shop

Now no one is perfect but stuff like this just sets off my radar a little as far as the experience of "experts"

Try getting the drag link off from the pitman arm on JL, without a pickle fork not much room there for a hammer, love to hear a better approach. Even SS recommended that method.

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Dude, why are helping to spread that shit stain’s (Eddie Oh) propaganda? When a vendor doesn’t give him free shit, or otherwise hurts his feelers, he trashes said vendor, including making up B.S. to make them look bad. Been his M.O. for at least 12 years or more. He is a joke. A lot new(er) Jeepers need to research him, and his antics within the Jeeping world, and not be drawn in by slickly produced YouTube videos.
You realize you are accusing him of the SAME THING you are doing right? Repeating sh!t you read online without actual knowledge.....except only one of you is wrong, and it ain't him.

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Didn’t say that. But, research him. Look at his past. He’s a douche that bags on manufacturers that don’t give him shit or kiss his ring. Teraflex is a good example.
Or......maybe you can read the fact that some of their parts broke, a lot, and Teraflex, instead of standing behind their product, blamed the owner for installer error vs covering the part under warranty. Again, stop reading and spreading nonsense.

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse
Or......maybe you can read the fact that some of their parts broke, a lot, and Teraflex, instead of standing behind their product, blamed the owner for installer error vs covering the part under warranty. Again, stop reading and spreading nonsense.
Aaaand, here one of his nut swingers now.

Sponsored

scrape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat
You realize you are accusing him of the SAME THING you are doing right? Repeating sh!t you read online without actual knowledge.....except only one of you is wrong, and it ain't him.
Clearly you were not on JKF back in like 08-09... or worse, you were, but were part of the cult.

I don't remember UKCATS ever being called out by Petersen's 4WD magazine for cheating on an RTI ramp in order to trash a rubicon express lift kit. So I'd be inclined to side with him!

scrape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat
Valid point; but it seems most don't consider such a setup. Thanks for pointing this out.
Yea, nobody cares about or considers hydro assist until the first time they actually try to wheel their jeep aired down on 37s.

Me thinks that Jeep must have been built all at once because there's no freakin way anybody would get air bumps and coilovers before hydro assist unless they never wheeled the jeep before and didn't know any better.

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Try getting the drag link off from the pitman arm on JL, without a pickle fork not much room there for a hammer, love to hear a better approach. Even SS recommended that method.
Haha you are correct its almost impossible lol. I used my big ass adjustable wrench as a fork

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse
Clearly you were not on JKF back in like 08-09... or worse, you were, but were part of the cult.

I don't remember UKCATS ever being called out by Petersen's 4WD magazine for cheating on an RTI ramp in order to trash a rubicon express lift kit. So I'd be inclined to side with him!
Lol, I had forgot about that. Something about his beef with radius arms or something?
Sponsored