Steersmarts trackbar brace with pitman armsupport

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
I have a lot of respect for Steer Smarts and have been super happy with their products. That said, I wonder if this design will work out any better long-term than the Synergy design...While the sealed bearing is clearly superior to an exposed bushing, I still have many questions concerning the feasibility of a precision bearing fitment due to many variables...
One major challenge in any aftermarket design of this type would be consistent, repeatable and precision alignment of the main bracket and subsequent precision alignment of the bearing itself to the steering gearbox. Just a few of the potential issues that come to mind below:

The steering gear while bolted to the frame with 4 bolts, can still be slightly be moved around until the bolts are tightened-potential bearing alignment issues.

The steering gear is bolted to the frame, each frame while built to be within set tolerances, is still different and the angle of the frame rail steering gear mounting surface could be slightly off either front to back or up/down-potential bearing alignment issues.

The trackbar bracket is welded to the frame and again while designed and welded to be within tolerances, position can still vary slightly from frame to frame-potential bearing alignment issues.

The boxed frames are welded together and again while welded to be within specified tolerances, can still vary slightly in frame thickness and also with the angle of the outer frame rail-potential bearing alignment issues.

Now I could be overthinking this whole thing, however when I briefly discussed this with a friend who is an aviation mechanical engineer for a large aircraft corporation, his reply was "this would never fly"...and he would never install it on his vehicle.

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I have a lot of respect for Steer Smarts and have been super happy with their products. That said, I wonder if this design will work out any better long-term than the Synergy design...While the sealed bearing is clearly superior to an exposed bushing, I still have many questions concerning the feasibility of a precision bearing fitment due to many variables...
One major challenge in any aftermarket design of this type would be consistent, repeatable and precision alignment of the main bracket and subsequent precision alignment of the bearing itself to the steering gearbox. Just a few of the potential issues that come to mind below:

Now I could be overthinking this whole thing, however when I briefly discussed this with a friend who is an aviation mechanical engineer for a large aircraft corporation, his reply was "this would never fly"...and he would never install it on his vehicle.
I went with the Rancho because of most of those reasons, but more for this; the only reason that bearing is really needed is because of stress on the pitman arm due to LARGE tires. IF you have 38's or larger you would want hydro steer anyway and that bearing would be moot. Now if your banging rocks on 37's then yeah I could possibly see the need, but again, I would probably just do hydro steer.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
No disrespect, but totally disagree, I think it does help having it on, especially with 37s. I feel it locks it all together, as opposed to shifting stress to the closest weakest link. I’ve had zero problems with it since I pinned the bushing. Yes the steersmarts looks to be a better design, but I’m gonna roll with what I got for now.
However, this JUST MY OPINION just like you guys having your opinion. And unless you have ass in seat experience with Jeeps, then even aircraft mechanical engineer is speculating. IMO.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Moto_21

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
I already have the synergy as well and agree with roky, it did help to aleviate some stress, while it might not be “precision” its a damn jeep whats precision on this thing, if it helps it helps. Also not everyone can afford or needs hydro steer. If it brings someone piece of mind then it helped, right? I just posted this so people know theres other options besides the synergy one now, and sealed bearing is better all around.

Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Will this give more weight and tightness to the feel of the steering? I didn’t particularly have a problem with mine when it was new but after the recent higher lift and bigger tires it’s looser and less responsive than I’d like, though still far from the problems some have.

OP
OP
Moto_21

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Will this give more weight and tightness to the feel of the steering? I didn’t particularly have a problem with mine when it was new but after the recent higher lift and bigger tires it’s looser and less responsive than I’d like, though still far from the problems some have.
Not neccissarily, it just helps add rgidity to the frame and that part of the track bar. If you have bigger tires and the aluminum box you can see deflection a bit when trying to turn the wheels on the box and where its mounted, this helps eliminate that. Also bumps can cause it to move a bit too causing more feedback. So it wont tighten steering per say, it helps get rid of excess deflection and unwanted movements

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
You can definitely feel a difference with it on when your on 37s. But not like adjusting stabilizer tighter or increasing caster.

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
Appreciate the feedback from Roky and Erik and I agree there are a hell of a lot of things on our Jeeps that would never fly in the aviation industry...Thank God!!
What would be pertinent however is if a mechanical design engineer with the chassis design team at Jeep would offer his two cents assessment...

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
When ever I see a bearing manufactured to rotate at several thousand rpm implemented in a design that does not rotate per minute I get suspicious.

In the install document photos the bearing is already pictured as misaligned with its "mount". The C clip should be useful for keeping the guts from dropping to the ground when the side loads finishes it off.

Jeep Wrangler JL Steersmarts trackbar brace with pitman armsupport Steer-Smarts_trackbar-brace

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Not neccissarily, it just helps add rgidity to the frame and that part of the track bar. If you have bigger tires and the aluminum box you can see deflection a bit when trying to turn the wheels on the box and where its mounted, this helps eliminate that. Also bumps can cause it to move a bit too causing more feedback. So it wont tighten steering per say, it helps get rid of excess deflection and unwanted movements
If only the frame reinforcement and the brace could be installed independently, we'd know exactly what each piece brings to the table.

You can definitely feel a difference with it on when your on 37s. But not like adjusting stabilizer tighter or increasing caster.
Already having a synergy rear track bar, I added both the relocation/reinforcement axle side bracket and the frame side reinforcement. Raising the roll center eliminated a lot of the tail wag. But the reinforcements caused the surprising domino affect of a tighter and more precise feel to the steering. Adding rigidity to the rear axle largely reduced the size and number of steering corrections needed to hold my line on the road. I suspect the same would happen in the front. Not at all a targeted change, but more of an overall feeling of being more planted and sure-footed.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

The steering gear while bolted to the frame with 4 bolts, can still be slightly be moved around until the bolts are tightened-potential bearing alignment issues.

The steering gear is bolted to the frame, each frame while built to be within set tolerances, is still different and the angle of the frame rail steering gear mounting surface could be slightly off either front to back or up/down-potential bearing alignment issues.

The trackbar bracket is welded to the frame and again while designed and welded to be within tolerances, position can still vary slightly from frame to frame-potential bearing alignment issues.

The boxed frames are welded together and again while welded to be within specified tolerances, can still vary slightly in frame thickness and also with the angle of the outer frame rail-potential bearing alignment issues.

All valid concerns, but the clearance holes where the brace bolts to the bracket will compensate for all associated tolerances. Just as long as they are the last to be tightened.

In my opinion, bushing the 4 frame holes between the box and track bar bracket would be the end all. Albeit, a bit more invasive.

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
All valid concerns, but the clearance holes where the brace bolts to the bracket will compensate for all associated tolerances. Just as long as they are the last to be tightened.

In my opinion, bushing the 4 frame holes between the box and track bar bracket would be the end all. Albeit, a bit more invasive.
Actually the holes do have bushings in them, they are just internal and you can’t see them like you could on the TJ’s.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Actually the holes do have bushings in them, they are just internal and you can’t see them like you could on the TJ’s.
I've yet to install a track bar reinforcement on the front, so I was just going by a thread on this forum from a couple years back. Some members were blaming box and track bar deflection on the hollow frame, and how bushings spanning from the inner to outer walls would give the 4 bolts something to clamp against and add rigidity. I finally got around to ordering a bracket, so now I'm curious to put eyes in there.

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
I've yet to install a track bar reinforcement on the front, so I was just going by a thread on this forum from a couple years back. Some members were blaming box and track bar deflection on the hollow frame, and how bushings spanning from the inner to outer walls would give the 4 bolts something to clamp against and add rigidity. I finally got around to ordering a bracket, so now I'm curious to put eyes in there.
They are in there. I have cut a few of these frames apart in that area. The frame is also Ultra High Strength steel, so it’s roughly 3x’s stronger than the TJ frame or even the JK frame. We have a Mojave in one of the shops right now I was working with a tech on yesterday. The front rails were swayed 7mm to the right from a collision. We have close to 10 tons of pressure on the ram on the frame rack and could barely get it to move. When we did we released the pressure and it sprung back to almost exactly where it was. We are actually replacing the frame on it now. These things are stout.
Sponsored