Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
You can make high quality products in China if you have strict quality control, management that pays attention, and an management structure that prioritizes customer safety above profits.

I would expect none of those things from Jeep.
Yes, but they are the exception and not the rule.
Regardless they should be making them in USA, or at least Japan or Germany like the transmissions. I would have some confidence in them.
Sponsored

Gillytickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys 2.0 Turbo, 2" MOPAR lift
Yes, but they are the exception and not the rule.
Regardless they should be making them in USA, or at least Japan or Germany like the transmissions. I would have some confidence in them.
These auto transmissions are built in the US.

OP
OP
Gandor

Gandor

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Update:

Tech says he's located the problem with the clicking and ordered a part which will take another 8 days to arrive. I took possession of the vehicle as I await the new part.

I'll update the thread with part numbers/if this new part will fix the steering issue/clicking.

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
Hello @Gandor
We are sorry to hear about the new concerns you are facing with your steering. Our team would be happy to offer our additional support in resolving this alongside your dealer. Please send us a private message with your VIN so that we may further assist.

Kathryn
JeepCares

Hello @ChattVol
We are sorry to hear about the difficulty you are facing in having this addressed. If you would like our team to look into this further for you, feel free to send us a private message for additional support.

Kathryn
JeepCares
Kathryn,

My Jeep constantly pulls to the right, even having after an alignment done at the dealer... I have to physically keep the steering wheel turned to the left to keep the Jeep going straight... My dealer tells me its just the crown in the road, but that's ridiculous. I've driven 60+ vehicles over the past 30 years and I know how to tell if its the crown of the road pulling me to the right.

Also, I replaced the junk OEM steering dampener with a Fox 2.0 to get rid of the Death Wobble, they didn't want to fix that either. I did that within a month of buying the Jeep.

Any assistance you can provide would be appreciated. @JeepCares

Sponsored

Fusilli Jerry

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (2.0T, 8spd)
I've been told November parts will be available, now I'm wondering if its worth it. My steering issues are not as pronounced as a lot of people posting.
just thinking the same thing.

I mean, I'm DISSATISFIED with my JLUR steering, but is it really BAD? I don't have a basis for comparison. This is my first Jeep.

I'm on the waiting list.

That being said, there are plenty of other people on here who said the new steering gear/box did wonders for them.

dpike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR 3.6
I mean, I'm DISSATISFIED with my JLUR steering, but is it really BAD? I don't have a basis for comparison. This is my first Jeep.
it's funny that there is no baseline for the steering because there is such a huge variable in the way these vehicles steer, this should not be the case. have you ever driven another modern vehicle that you even questioned it ?

i had the box replaced on my '20 JLUR.. in all honesty, it's better, but it's far from how ANY modern vehicle should steer. in comparison the company i work for has a few old F350 diesels with close to 500,000 miles on them... they drive like my '20 wrangler.

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Kathryn,

My Jeep constantly pulls to the right, even having after an alignment done at the dealer... I have to physically keep the steering wheel turned to the left to keep the Jeep going straight... My dealer tells me its just the crown in the road, but that's ridiculous. I've driven 60+ vehicles over the past 30 years and I know how to tell if its the crown of the road pulling me to the right.

Also, I replaced the junk OEM steering dampener with a Fox 2.0 to get rid of the Death Wobble, they didn't want to fix that either. I did that within a month of buying the Jeep.

I've talked with Fox in the past. They will tell you that most dealers hate aligning a Jeep with the 2.0 Dampener. It will cause the Jeep to want to Pull one way or the other. The 2.0 with ATS is better. Is yours the through shaft?

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
I've talked with Fox in the past. They will tell you that most dealers hate aligning a Jeep with the 2.0 Dampener. It will cause the Jeep to want to Pull one way or the other. The 2.0 with ATS is better. Is yours the through shaft?

I'll have to go look, I'm not sure. I bought the Fox 2.0 Stabilizer around October 2019 if that helps?

Fusilli Jerry

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (2.0T, 8spd)
it's funny that there is no baseline for the steering because there is such a huge variable in the way these vehicles steer, this should not be the case. have you ever driven another modern vehicle that you even questioned it ?

i had the box replaced on my '20 JLUR.. in all honesty, it's better, but it's far from how ANY modern vehicle should steer. in comparison the company i work for has a few old F350 diesels with close to 500,000 miles on them... they drive like my '20 wrangler.
I try to remember what my 2011 Ram 1500 felt like compared to this, and it's difficult. I think it felt kind of floaty, but not DEAD. Like, if i did the wheel-shake test while driving, the truck would've swerved all over the place while the Jeep pretty much goes straight, which ain't right.

Where the Jeep dead-steer really makes me unhappy is in the wind. When it's gusting, which is frequent where I live, I have to make monster overcorrections and then react when the wind lets back up.

I can live with it. But long drives are fatiguing. If the weather calls for high winds, I will actually have to decide whether or not I want to make the drive, if it's a long one. As if it's going to be a snowstorm or something. Crazy.

Sponsored

Moses212

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon JLU
I just brought mine in for the fix at Manhattan Jeep. The team there is excellent and they had the part for me in a day. Though they installed the new gear box, tested it and determined that the new part was bad from the factory. If I can get details as to why it was bad, I'll add an update.
Unfortunately, it's a two week wait to get a replacement so they're re-installing the old gear box (they don't have loaners and it's my only vehicle).
Anyhow, I'm glad they tested it before I got there. One of the lead mechanics, Robert, really knows his stuff and the whole team there is super friendly.

OP
OP
Gandor

Gandor

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Spent a few minutes looking under the hood today to confirm the black steering box was installed, noticed that the power steering fluid was well below the minimum line. Could this be the culprit?
Jeep Wrangler JL Steering worse after TSB fix. 20201015_140803

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Kathryn,

me as well:whew:
Hello @JSFoster75 and @Fusilli Jerry
We are sorry to hear about the concerns you are facing with your Jeep steering. If you are having trouble addressing this with your dealer, please send us a private message for further support. We would be happy to assist in reaching a resolution.

Kathryn
JeepCares

OP
OP
Gandor

Gandor

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did some more exploring.

The power steering system seems to engage even in the dead-spot as when the vehicle is steering there is a high pitch sound that is emitted from the engine bay when any steering happens. (Somewhat hard to hear on video without headphones.)

The pitman arm does not move when adjustments are made in the dead-spot.

I think the fix is going to require having that arm move with the adjustments in the steering wheel somehow. Not sure if suggested fixes like adjusting caster will fix that?

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Did some more exploring.

The power steering system seems to engage even in the dead-spot as when the vehicle is steering there is a high pitch sound that is emitted from the engine bay when any steering happens. (Somewhat hard to hear on video without headphones.)

The pitman arm does not move when adjustments are made in the dead-spot.

I think the fix is going to require having that arm move with the adjustments in the steering wheel somehow. Not sure if suggested fixes like adjusting caster will fix that?
Can’t really hear noise. But would like to mention they reinstalled wrong bolts for steering gear.
Jeep Wrangler JL Steering worse after TSB fix. B6D5C485-068E-4168-BAE6-35AF393D24BF
Jeep Wrangler JL Steering worse after TSB fix. A22E69B9-6DDA-4A6D-A8FE-9C0D4FED4BC0
Sponsored