Sponsored

Gandor

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
I just got my jeep back from having the steering TSB fix done and honestly it's kind of worse than before. There's still a fairly large dead spot in the center of the steering but the wheel now kind of "wakes up" when it leaves the dead spot either left or right with a pulling feel. Not only that but now there's a clicking sound when oscillating around the dead spot.

Here's a video I recorded of the sound the jeep makes now around the dead spot, it did not make this sound prior to the TSB.

I brought it straight back to the dealer who did the fix after driving for 10 minutes and am now waiting to see what can be done.

Anyone else deal with this situation?
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I just got my jeep back from having the steering TSB fix done and honestly it's kind of worse than before. There's still a fairly large dead spot in the center of the steering but the wheel now kind of "wakes up" when it leaves the dead spot either left or right with a pulling feel. Not only that but now there's a clicking sound when oscillating around the dead spot.

Here's a video I recorded of the sound the jeep makes now around the dead spot, it did not make this sound prior to the TSB.

I brought it straight back to the dealer who did the fix after driving for 10 minutes and am now waiting to see what can be done.

Someone in the main steering TSB fix thread said something similar and a new steering pump fixed it.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
I blame the dealer techs and boxes made in China. If an American company could make us an aftermarket box, they would be millionaires overnight.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
If an American company could make us an aftermarket box, they would be millionaires overnight.
Here’s why it won’t happen:

They’d be overpriced and just sit on the shelf. The over price is because someone has to pay for R&D and overhead costs. And profits. But most people don’t want to buy expensive parts to fix what “should have come from the factory”.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL

Hello @Gandor
We are sorry to hear about the new concerns you are facing with your steering. Our team would be happy to offer our additional support in resolving this alongside your dealer. Please send us a private message with your VIN so that we may further assist.

Kathryn
JeepCares
Yep....I experienced very similiar issues after having my dealer install the new steel box on my 2018 sport s 6 speed. The new box created a notched feeling and sound at steering center, the dead spot on the hwy got larger and the jeep now has a left pull. I checked bolt torque at home with the jeep on the ground and turned lock to lock 5 times thinking maybe it needed to be bled. Brought it back to the dealer the next morning and the tech rechecked the software, bolt torque and confirmed the pull and the notched feeling...but it wasn't as pronounced.

I reached back out to @JeepCares and my dealer started a star case. 5 days later my dealer calls and claims FCA wants me to pay $125 to flash the CPU to reflect the 37" tire size. I told them I used a Tazer for this like thousands of other people and asked how updating the software for tire size is going to correct a new notched steering issue, larger dead spot and a new left hand pull? These symptoms started when the new box was installed. The dealer said they didn't understand how a tire flash could help and I could try reaching out to FCA. I respectfully expresssed how poor I felt FCA's response was to the star case after having already driven 30 min to the dealer 4 times.(initial inspection, box install, picking up jeep the next day and back the next day to report issues) It's a waste of time to drive back a 5th time to pay $125 for a simple tire size calibration flash...I feel FCA's response was aimed at discouraging me from pursuing further.:lipssealed:

I called FCA and reported the issues and have returned 2 missed calls from them over the last week and haven't heard back yet. :headbang:
Hello @ChattVol
We are sorry to hear about the difficulty you are facing in having this addressed. If you would like our team to look into this further for you, feel free to send us a private message for additional support.

Kathryn
JeepCares

Sponsored

WAOLIFE

First Name
Adrian & Josie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUM - 3.6L - Sky Touch & 2015 WK2O - 3.6L - IG: @wa0life
Occupation
Fiddler of Parts

Great! I just put mine in the shop on Monday . . . should I cross my fingers and toes? :(

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Basically, after doing some more research it seems like the problem is way more invovled than just the steering box.
There was a guy on FB Jeep group that had a ton of play and notchy sound - torqued (40ft lbs) the IShaft pinch bolt and slop and noise went away. Not sure if same problem here since @ChattVol checked all his torque values.

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
I blame the dealer techs and boxes made in China. If an American company could make us an aftermarket box, they would be millionaires overnight.
PSC makes a nice aftermarket box. :)

OP
OP
Gandor

Gandor

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Update: Just got back from the dealer, still not fixed.

They replaced the recirculating ball and tightened some bolts. Another tech is looking at it tomorrow, and so the saga continues.

Sponsored

HardRockSteele67

First Name
Kutt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392 Rubicon
Occupation
Eng.
Vehicle Showcase
Keep us all updated as many here are scheduled to have our steering fixed in the next 3 months- Backlogged here in Austin

brewskisteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2001 Ford F350 4x4 crew cab 7.3L diesel
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I've been told November parts will be available, now I'm wondering if its worth it. My steering issues are not as pronounced as a lot of people posting.

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
You can make high quality products in China if you have strict quality control, management that pays attention, and an management structure that prioritizes customer safety above profits.

I would expect none of those things from Jeep.

sardog12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Wrangler X-Gone, 2019 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
You can make high quality products in China if you have strict quality control, management that pays attention, and an management structure that prioritizes customer safety above profits.

I would expect none of those things from Jeep.
It's funny that I would bet that your sentiment would be echoed by many people here who have Shittybilt and similar products plastered all over their Jeeps but would be unable to see the irony of that.
Sponsored