Steering wobble

AZJLU1100

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Good morning! I put on a full set of Metal Cloak control arms a few weeks ago and now I have some serious steering wobble when I hit a small pot hole. It’s almost like it wants to go into a death wobble but it corrects itself after a few shakes.

I have a Rock Krawler 3.5 inch lift and I had the Jeep aligned and it shows 6 degrees of caster. I ordered a new steering dampener but I never had this issue until I put on the control arms.

Anybody else have this issue? It’s driving me crazy!! I have adjusted the caster and still have this issue. Any help would greatly be appreciated!

F6976C6C-4765-4200-88A2-2EE698737A14.jpeg
Sponsored

Fouts

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon Unlimited
Check everything for tightness. Especially track bar. Did you have it aligned after control arms?

OP
OP
AZJLU1100

AZJLU1100

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
All is tight. I did have it aligned with the new control arms. A new steering stabilizer comes in today but I don’t think that will solve the issue. I never had steering issues before the new control arms.

Jeepjunkie

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I had a shimmy (not DW, I had that in my TJ) after I basically replaced everything in the front suspension except the tie rod and stock steering dampener (PR44, UCAs, LCAs, TB, DL). FWIW I replaced my stock dampener after bashing on a rock 4 wheeling. Before and after the rock bashed SD I had the shimmy. After I replaced my stock SD with a fox steering dampener my shimmy went away.

YMMV

Fouts

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon Unlimited
May want to try a tire rebalance or just switch front to rear. An easy thing to rule out

Sponsored

RockyMtJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon Unlimited
Unfortunately, I had the same exact experience. Put on my metal cloak lift, my caster was about the same as yours and every time i hit a bump when driving around 40-50 mph, I would get a wobble. I rebalanced the tires twice, no luck with the problem. Made sure everything was tight, still had wobble. I finally got rid of the wobble after replacing the factory drag link with a steer smarts yeti xd. Some people have no problem with the factory drag link/tie rod/steering stabilizer with the metal cloak lifts, unfortunately, this was what needed to happen to help fix my wobble problem...

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
I know this is an old post but did you ever get this resolved? I’m having the same issues after installing Clayton arms on mine.

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I've got the same issue with the Metalcloak CG 2.5" lift. Also have their Rocksport steering stabilizer and relocation bracket (installed long before the lift). I've ensured everything is torqued to spec. I installed a Rusty's track bar brace and it helped just a tad. My wobble isn't bad, and almost imperceptible, but I know it's there. I saw a video by one of the Jeep influencers showing video of the same lift with a death wobble and it was clear that the stock steering components were clearly resonating. The weak link now is the drag link and tie rod. Those are next on my list. Fwiw, I had the wobble with the stock tires after the lift, putting on the 37's amplified it.

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
I've got the same issue with the Metalcloak CG 2.5" lift. Also have their Rocksport steering stabilizer and relocation bracket (installed long before the lift). I've ensured everything is torqued to spec. I installed a Rusty's track bar brace and it helped just a tad. My wobble isn't bad, and almost imperceptible, but I know it's there. I saw a video by one of the Jeep influencers showing video of the same lift with a death wobble and it was clear that the stock steering components were clearly resonating. The weak link now is the drag link and tie rod. Those are next on my list. Fwiw, I had the wobble with the stock tires after the lift, putting on the 37's amplified it.
Similar to where I am at right now, I am thinking about going with the Rusty’s steering. Seems to be a good bang for your buck.

RockyMtJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon Unlimited
That’s how I fixed my same DW after installing the 2.5” GC. Steer smarts draglink and tie rod.

Sponsored

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Similar to where I am at right now, I am thinking about going with the Rusty’s steering. Seems to be a good bang for your buck.
I looked at them and you can get their aluminum setup for the same price as everybody else's steel. That said I can't figure out what in the world they are doing with their steering stabilizer setup. I have the MC relocation bracket and I like it. I couldn't find a clamp anywhere big enough to go around their aluminum tie rod.

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
That’s how I fixed my same DW after installing the 2.5” GC. Steer smarts draglink and tie rod.
I'm probably go with the MC setup myself.

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
I looked at them and you can get their aluminum setup for the same price as everybody else's steel. That said I can't figure out what in the world they are doing with their steering stabilizer setup. I have the MC relocation bracket and I like it. I couldn't find a clamp anywhere big enough to go around their aluminum tie rod.
Well I will let you know in a few days when I receive it. Honestly from what I have found the tie rod ends they use on their systems is their design and they supply most of the other places with them. Seems to be the other places just supply the rods and put their name on them.

moodywizard

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Good luck fellas! These JL's seem to be picky. I replaced my tie rod, drag link, and steering box brace with synergy. Ever since Ive had a wobble from time to time...go figure haha
Sponsored