Sponsored

Steering wheel wobble?

Chewbacca2264

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Quick update, my dealer is working very well with me on this, I have provided them all the info gathered on this forum. They opened a STAR case for me today and advised that the stabilizer is back ordered until 12/10. The service manager is going to run with this and see about reimbursement for an after market stabilizer and or if they could do the install to save me the work. They are aware that I have already ordered a stabilizer and are supportive of finding a way to get my Jeep and the others suffering the same issues up and going as quickly a possible. Glad they have come around on this issue, for anyone having issues provide your dealer the info from this thread regarding the stabilizers and see if they will run with it.
Sponsored

Woodynj

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Quick update, my dealer is working very well with me on this, I have provided them all the info gathered on this forum. They opened a STAR case for me today and advised that the stabilizer is back ordered until 12/10. The service manager is going to run with this and see about reimbursement for an after market stabilizer and or if they could do the install to save me the work. They are aware that I have already ordered a stabilizer and are supportive of finding a way to get my Jeep and the others suffering the same issues up and going as quickly a possible. Glad they have come around on this issue, for anyone having issues provide your dealer the info from this thread regarding the stabilizers and see if they will run with it.
Reimbursement will be way cheaper than them putting you in a rental car for that long. Even a cheap car from Avis at 30/day adds up REAL fast.

Since they are recognizing the issue and the issue is steering related which is a saftey issue can’t see how they could let you drive it off the lot until it’s fixed.

TheJoyceIsYours

First Name
Brendan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lbdesignworks.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Designer
True. It is good to have a plan B ready just incase. And knowing you have a plan B in hand now, can help you be more successful with plan A. And here is an idea for plan C.

Hey if you're stuck with the vehicle, you can put whatever you want on it! I laughed too hard at that!

Thankfully my dealer is being pretty good so far, so I'm not quite there yet!

TheJoyceIsYours

First Name
Brendan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lbdesignworks.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Designer
Recent update on my case... I got my Jeep back!

Part came in today and they got it installed. Took in home and it was definitely better, BUT I still had some shimmy in the steering wheel. Roads were pretty smooth on the way home, so I didn't get many chances for a good bump. Trying again tomorrow to see what I can document in daylight...

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Recent update on my case... I got my Jeep back!

Part came in today and they got it installed. Took in home and it was definitely better, BUT I still had some shimmy in the steering wheel. Roads were pretty smooth on the way home, so I didn't get many chances for a good bump. Trying again tomorrow to see what I can document in daylight...
Which part did they install this time?

Sponsored

TheJoyceIsYours

First Name
Brendan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lbdesignworks.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Designer
I was able to go from 'someone next year' until pickup the vehicle today (11/7)', and they upgraded the case at least twice. Jeepbwas in for about 2 weeks. Not convinced it was the stabilizer, but I'll post again tomorrow. I think our key was saying 'i don't feel it's safe to drive' which was absolutely true.

Chewbacca2264

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
I was able to go from 'someone next year' until pickup the vehicle today (11/7)', and they upgraded the case at least twice. Jeepbwas in for about 2 weeks. Not convinced it was the stabilizer, but I'll post again tomorrow. I think our key was saying 'i don't feel it's safe to drive' which was absolutely true.
Very interesting, for me once I showed them the STAR case regarding the build codes on the stabilizers they got very involved. It was almost like they didn't really have the time to investigate but once someone else did they were ready to roll with it. The service manager is a good guy and they are stupid busy so I really am not upset with them anymore. I plan to add the teraflex stabilizer anyway so I appreciate that they are working on my behalf. Waiting to hear from district guy to see if he is willing to work with me on this. My anger is now placed directly on FCA, someone dropped the ball. I still believe that the trackbar/bushing combo is a pure design flaw. The issue with bad stabilizers is just one of those things that happens. I can live with a bad part, problem I have now is where is the TSB......or better yet recall? How many first time Jeep owners are driving these things and having them swerve all over the road with no idea that it is not a "jeep thing".

TheJoyceIsYours

First Name
Brendan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lbdesignworks.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Designer
Very interesting, for me once I showed them the STAR case regarding the build codes on the stabilizers they got very involved. It was almost like they didn't really have the time to investigate but once someone else did they were ready to roll with it. The service manager is a good guy and they are stupid busy so I really am not upset with them anymore. I plan to add the teraflex stabilizer anyway so I appreciate that they are working on my behalf. Waiting to hear from district guy to see if he is willing to work with me on this. My anger is now placed directly on FCA, someone dropped the ball. I still believe that the trackbar/bushing combo is a pure design flaw. The issue with bad stabilizers is just one of those things that happens. I can live with a bad part, problem I have now is where is the TSB......or better yet recall? How many first time Jeep owners are driving these things and having them swerve all over the road with no idea that it is not a "jeep thing".
I totally feel ya... I traded in my 165k '07 FJ in anticipation of a major repare/issue.y last Jeep was an 02 liberty renegade (that vehicle HATED me) so I was cautious going with another Jeep, but thought, this is the Wrangler, they actually care about those! Haha

But my dealer has been good to me... I keep saying, they didn't build the thing, they didn't make the defect, they're going by FCA rules to fix it, so they're in a rough spot too, in a way. As long as they still keep trying, I'll have a position opinion.

But tell them you feel unsafe and maybe that'll speed the repair up even if you go halfsies or whatever on an aftermarket parts.

Sponsored

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I still believe that the trackbar/bushing combo is a pure design flaw.
Is there a newer version of the OEM trackbar? If yes, what is the newer part number? And I wonder if there is a Star case for the OEM trackbar like there is for the steering stabilizer with date code range.

Chewbacca2264

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Is there a newer version of the OEM trackbar? If yes, what is the newer part number? And I wonder if there is a Star case for the OEM trackbar like there is for the steering stabilizer with date code range.
I am not aware of FCA recognizing an issue with the track bar. I am basing my opinion on the findings of others. My buddy and I are going to play with my jeep when we put the yeti on next week.

Command Line RC

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
I want t
I am not aware of FCA recognizing an issue with the track bar. I am basing my opinion on the findings of others. My buddy and I are going to play with my jeep when we put the yeti on next week.
Ya apparently their is an issue with the OEM track bar as well. My Yeti XD track bar will be here today. I'll snap some photos of a side by side so you call can check it out if you haven't seen one before.

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I still believe that the trackbar/bushing combo is a pure design flaw.
I found the info below in an earlier post on this same thread. Can anyone confirm the part number has changed for the track bar? I looked, but can only find the original part number.

"Trac bar is a AC from an AB and something changing with the stiffness of the bushing rubber....Actually I think the damper is an AD now and no it’s not absolutely necessary to install a track bar as it’s 1/2-5/8s off center."

Source: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/steering-wheel-wobble.16577/page-5#post-420723

TheJoyceIsYours

First Name
Brendan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lbdesignworks.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Designer
They replaced the ball joints on the last visit, I’d like to think the torque was re-done st that time lol
Any update on your issues/solution? Mine's going back in today...
Sponsored