Sponsored

Steering wheel wobble?

Redrockjk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK Wrangler
Thanks for this information!

So there is an updated steering stabilizer with AC part # from FCA?
I found the AB Steering damper on mopar website.
68251580AB

You also stated updated track bar in your post. Is there also an updated track bar from FCA or were you referring to an aftermarket track bar?

Also, is it not necessary to install a longer track bar when installing a 2” lift? I would think the stock track bar length would cause the axles to be offset after installing the lift.

Trac bar is a AC from an AB and something changing with the stiffness of the bushing rubber....Actually I think the damper is an AD now and no it’s not absolutely necessary to install a track bar as it’s 1/2-5/8s off center
Sponsored

JoshCMH

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL MOJITO!

Is this what you guys have been experiencing? I'm bone stock and this started today
Yes that's how it started for me too at expansion joints on bridges and overpasses. Over the past month it's gotten worse and oscillates throughout the whole front end of the vehicle until I slow down.

Oldtimer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee Ltd
Yes that's how it started for me too at expansion joints on bridges and overpasses. Over the past month it's gotten worse and oscillates throughout the whole front end of the vehicle until I slow down.
That's what happens to me over expansion bridges, highway water drains, and bumps or dips in the road. I don't think I could maintain that highway speed, the shaking is too extreme. The only way I've been able to control it, is to slowly reduce the speed below 50 mph, and wait for the shaking to stop. I'm waiting for the dealer to call for the "steering damper" they said would fix the issue. Unfortunately, they are back ordered.

TheJoyceIsYours

First Name
Brendan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lbdesignworks.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Designer
That's what happens to me over expansion bridges, highway water drains, and bumps or dips in the road. I don't think I could maintain that highway speed, the shaking is too extreme. The only way I've been able to control it, is to slowly reduce the speed below 50 mph, and wait for the shaking to stop. I'm waiting for the dealer to call for the "steering damper" they said would fix the issue. Unfortunately, they are back ordered.
I'm scheduled to take it in in Friday, so we shall see! Not a fun thing to experience for sure!

Sponsored

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
mine turned out to be loose bolts on the steering stabilizer, I tightened them up and its back to normal.
Has everyone else checked for lose bolts, etc.? Otherwise you are chasing a ghost by replacing parts and it was something loose. Almost every bolt and nut in my JL's front end was loose and some were even finger tight.

This is from my post on Oct 10 - https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/steering-wheel-wobble.16577/#post-405962

Oct 10 / Check for lose ball joint nuts, lose control arm nuts, and all other suspension related tightness.

Sponsored

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR

Nicholas6

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
My Jeep just recently started doing the exact same thing. ~18,000 miles on a stock Unlimited Sport. There are also quite a few people on the JL Wrangler Facebook page with very similar videos and issues. Guess it is time to get it to the dealer. Appreciate all the good info I get from this forum.

TimP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 wrangler sport
I have the same issue. 15k miles and 100 % stock.

I have taken it to two dealerships now. First was a 100% waste of time and didnt even attempt to fix, second dealer had it for almost a week, changed out the upper ball joints, drag link, balanced and rotated tires. driving it home and no change at all.

I have an appointment to take it back on Tuesday.

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I have the same issue. 15k miles and 100 % stock.

I have taken it to two dealerships now. First was a 100% waste of time and didnt even attempt to fix, second dealer had it for almost a week, changed out the upper ball joints, drag link, balanced and rotated tires. driving it home and no change at all.

I have an appointment to take it back on Tuesday.
Did they try the steering stabilizer / damper?