• ⛔️ EFFECTIVE JANUARY 11, 2023 ⛔️ 

ATTENTION SELLERS: All users who wish to sell in the marketplace are now required to abide by the following RULES. If a sales thread/post created ON OR AFTER January 11, 2023, does not comply, it is subject to DELETION without notice.

ATTENTION BUYERS: If you see a non-compliant sales thread, please REPORT the thread and take CAUTION when transacting.

Rule #1 - Post a picture of the actual item you are selling (NO stock photos).
    Rule #2 - The picture must include a REAL piece of paper with your Username and the Date written on it next to the product you are selling. NO photoshop or digitally edited photos are allowed.
    Rule #3 - NO "feeler" threads are permitted. This section is only for items that are actually available and ready to be sold currently.
    Rule #4 - The listing must include an asking price. OBO (or best offer) is allowed but it must be accompanied by an asking price.
    Rule #5 - No "threadcrapping." Classifieds threads are not meant for negative discussions. Comments on pricing are not allowed. Only people with genuine questions and interest in the item for sale should be posting in the classifieds threads.
Sponsored

Colorado Steering Wheel Shimmy not D/W

Jabarsetti

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ret. USAF
Vehicle Showcase
Need some help diagnosing an issue. I'm in the process of moving and all of my tools are at our new house in a different state. I have a 2019 JLUR with true 2" lift, MOPAR extend LCA's, 315 70R17 Patagonia M/T's and I run at about 34-35psi hot with 40k miles on it. I have developed a slight shimmy between ONLY 50-58 mph on different roads and conditions. The tires have been rotated every 5-7k miles at first it was 5 tire but now 4 tire due to a full single tire replacement they are also regularly balanced. I haven't had a alignment done in about 25k miles but everything tracks as straight as it can for a Jeep. I'm thinking it's a balancing issue due to the problem at a specific speed. I have about a month left separated from my tools and it will be a 700 mi trip to my new home, I would like to get this fixed before the trip and If it is more than a balancing issue I am going to have to bring it in to a local shop so I don't want go in blind and give them something specific to look at.

Any help or recommendations of areas to look at without tools would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored

Jeepin_Donnie

First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 23 Wildtrak Bronco w/Sasquatch package
Occupation
Benefits Manager
Need some help diagnosing an issue. I'm in the process of moving and all of my tools are at our new house in a different state. I have a 2019 JLUR with true 2" lift, MOPAR extend LCA's, 315 70R17 Patagonia M/T's and I run at about 34-35psi hot with 40k miles on it. I have developed a slight shimmy between ONLY 50-58 mph on different roads and conditions. The tires have been rotated every 5-7k miles at first it was 5 tire but now 4 tire due to a full single tire replacement they are also regularly balanced. I haven't had a alignment done in about 25k miles but everything tracks as straight as it can for a Jeep. I'm thinking it's a balancing issue due to the problem at a specific speed. I have about a month left separated from my tools and it will be a 700 mi trip to my new home, I would like to get this fixed before the trip and If it is more than a balancing issue I am going to have to bring it in to a local shop so I don't want go in blind and give them something specific to look at.

Any help or recommendations of areas to look at without tools would be greatly appreciated.
Does the shimmy happen when you hit a bump or when driving normal? I would start with checking your lug nuts.

OP
OP
Jabarsetti

Jabarsetti

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ret. USAF
Vehicle Showcase
Does the shimmy happen when you hit a bump or when driving normal? I would start with checking your lug nuts.
Just normal, I've actually tried to hit bumps on both driver/passenger sides to make sure and it tracks straight minus a tad bit of bump steer which isn't out of the normal for my Jeep. I'll give the lugs a once over tonight but they we're just rotated and hand torq'd before the movers took possession of all my equipment.

Jeepin_Donnie

First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 23 Wildtrak Bronco w/Sasquatch package
Occupation
Benefits Manager
Just normal, I've actually tried to hit bumps on both driver/passenger sides to make sure and it tracks straight minus a tad bit of bump steer which isn't out of the normal for my Jeep. I'll give the lugs a once over tonight but they we're just rotated and hand torq'd before the movers took possession of all my equipment.
I know it's a pain, but if it is not the lugs, you may want to check the torque on your steering components (tie rod, drag link, and track bar). Last time I torqued mine, I marked them with paint. If they ever come loose after driving or wheeling, I will know. But it does sound like it could be a tire out of balance as well. Let us know what you find. Good luck!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jabarsetti

Jabarsetti

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ret. USAF
Vehicle Showcase
like 2, it shimmys maybe a 1/4" left and right for a few seconds. like I said it is really speed specific too.

OP
OP
Jabarsetti

Jabarsetti

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ret. USAF
Vehicle Showcase
I know it's a pain, but if it is not the lugs, you may want to check the torque on your steering components (tie rod, drag link, and track bar). Last time I torqued mine, I marked them with paint. If they ever come loose after driving or wheeling, I will know. But it does sound like it could be a tire out of balance as well. Let us know what you find. Good luck!
Will do, I plan on getting under and doing a shakedown, that's all I really can do with no tools currently with me. I'm really thinking it is the tires. they've been good to me for 15k ish miles but Pats aren't the greatest M/T's and I run them lower then suggested. I'm actually looking at replacing them with an aggressive A/T. Oklahoma (where I'm moving too :() doesn't offer the same off road experience that CO does, so I'm sure it's going to be way more of a pavement princess.

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
sounds like what mine did. in my case it was the track bar joint on one end that at the right speed etc. put feedback into the steering wheel. after replacing the hard Johnny joint with a factory style bushing it pretty much stopped. it seems the JL is really sensitive to transmitting VNH. For my next build I plan to do a few things differently to see if it is even better than my last one. I actually really liked my 2020 JLUR, so any improvement will justnbe icing on the cake.
Sponsored